• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Unrealistic Expectations - M1100 Turbo ?

TurboT

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2008
W...Y...O
We run 3 boosted sleds in our lineup- (1) Boondocker stage 1 Apex, (1) Alpine stage 2 Apex, and (1) MPI SC stage 1 Vector. Total combined miles=16,000. Zero motor problems. Blown belts=2 belts in 6 years. Drive chains=0 in 6 years. I replace my chain every other year for peace of mind! Yamaha=reliability! It does get lonely @ the top when all you see is blue, but maybe, just maybe, Arctic Cat will put some pressure on Yamaha. A replacement sled(Apex) is overdue from Yamaha:clock:

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
First of all, why would we buy a Yam OEM chain for 165.00 when we can buy a made in Canada Hyvo for 70.00?
I just bought 2 clutches from a Yam dlr in Ab., and I have buddys that bought from Yam dlrs in BC. Ask Alpine how many they have sold.
Like our belts, we are starting to buy alot of parts in the US. Not sure how we can save 30.00 a belt landed in Can, but our group have bought over 60 from the US. Yes 60! Now why would we need that many?:shocked:

I guess what we are are doing is trying to save some money! Since we owe Yamaha nothing! I don't mind telling people the truth.
I now have 5 friends that have ordered Polaris Pro's, and there will probably be more. If Yamaha wants to sell some sleds they better bring us some new product rather than stand on a soap box and wave their 4 stroke flag...it's starting to get old!

Whoah! Sorry brotha, just trying to have a little fun with ya, not tryin to start fires, I'm outa here

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
First of all, why would we buy a Yam OEM chain for 165.00 when we can buy a made in Canada Hyvo for 70.00?
I just bought 2 clutches from a Yam dlr in Ab., and I have buddys that bought from Yam dlrs in BC. Ask Alpine how many they have sold.
Like our belts, we are starting to buy alot of parts in the US. Not sure how we can save 30.00 a belt landed in Can, but our group have bought over 60 from the US. Yes 60! Now why would we need that many?:shocked:

I guess what we are are doing is trying to save some money! Since we owe Yamaha nothing! I don't mind telling people the truth.
I now have 5 friends that have ordered Polaris Pro's, and there will probably be more. If Yamaha wants to sell some sleds they better bring us some new product rather than stand on a soap box and wave their 4 stroke flag...it's starting to get old!

Neil, it is cool you are liking the new 2 stroke, but how long do you think that a turbo poo will hold up to the kind of long pull riding you guys do every weekend? I would think you would be replacing top ends like I replace belts on my turbo nytro, just from some of the turbos 2s I have been around.

I replace my chain case chain at the beggining of every season and all the drive bearings also, I buy a couple of extra belts form south seattle sports plaza for $45 a piece, where I also order all my parts from and save a lot of $ over my local dealer. Last time I had a Polaris, belts were pushing $200 a piece, and I could not keep one for over 200 miles. I have replaced my clutches once in five years, due to the fact a piece of metal went through them. This is all normal snowmobile stuff, I just think when you start racking up some miles on that Poo you will end up buying whole sh!tload of more parts by the time it equals the miles you have on your Yammis.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Neil, it is cool you are liking the new 2 stroke, but how long do you think that a turbo poo will hold up to the kind of long pull riding you guys do every weekend? I would think you would be replacing top ends like I replace belts on my turbo nytro, just from some of the turbos 2s I have been around.

I replace my chain case chain at the beggining of every season and all the drive bearings also, I buy a couple of extra belts form south seattle sports plaza for $45 a piece, where I also order all my parts from and save a lot of $ over my local dealer. Last time I had a Polaris, belts were pushing $200 a piece, and I could not keep one for over 200 miles. I have replaced my clutches once in five years, due to the fact a piece of metal went through them. This is all normal snowmobile stuff, I just think when you start racking up some miles on that Poo you will end up buying whole sh!tload of more parts by the time it equals the miles you have on your Yammis.
I agree with everything you just said. I don't think it would be reasonable to think a 2 stroke is going to last like a 4 stroke. I did say that we are running these parts on highly modified sleds too.
I don't really believe much will run with a highly modified Yamaha, including the new Cat 1100, and that is why I will always have one in one form or another.
It is good to have options though, and for the money, the cat 1100 looks pretty good.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
Whoah! Sorry brotha, just trying to have a little fun with ya, not tryin to start fires, I'm outa here
I get it Jeff...kinda sounded like you were putting me on the spot! I understand corporate mentality, I have been dealing with it for 20 years.

H
Aug 18, 2010
I don't see how the 1100's are going to run with the big boosted Yami's unless the owner's throw big bucks into them just like we had to do with the Apex's and Nytro's. At some point next year this will happen, but they're going to end up 20K into the 1100 before they get there IMO.

What I am looking forward to is watching the guys who think they can just buy one of these boosted 1100's and go climb the big chutes. They are going to find out it takes some mad skills to climb big chutes. It's not just "point and chute" like so many believe. I had a "point and chute" guy mouthing off last Friday so I pulled a line up a fairly easy chute and then let him take a stab at it with my Apex. After he rolled it twice and spent a half hour turning it around by himself the third time I figured there wasent much left to be said so I pulled the chute one more time, watched a couple of my buddies pull it and we moved on.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I don't see how the 1100's are going to run with the big boosted Yami's unless the owner's throw big bucks into them just like we had to do with the Apex's and Nytro's. At some point next year this will happen, but they're going to end up 20K into the 1100 before they get there IMO.
QUOTE]

If the motors come from the factory built heavy enough they won't have to put to much money into them But it doesn't take long to get from $13000 to $20000. I think the guys that go big on them will have head studs, different turbo and header, and different exhaust and intercooler. I wouldn't be surprised to see a kit around the $3200-$3800 range to get this all done. Head studs, header, turbo, intercooler, piping, exhaust and fuel controller. i would bet that Boomdocker leads the way with this. Since they already have the 2860 upgrade for the z1turbo. For me I plan to run stock. . . Maybe with a hi flow muffler.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta

What I am looking forward to is watching the guys who think they can just buy one of these boosted 1100's and go climb the big chutes. They are going to find out it takes some mad skills to climb big chutes. It's not just "point and chute" like so many believe. I had a "point and chute" guy mouthing off last Friday so I pulled a line up a fairly easy chute and then let him take a stab at it with my Apex. After he rolled it twice and spent a half hour turning it around by himself the third time I figured there wasent much left to be said so I pulled the chute one more time, watched a couple of my buddies pull it and we moved on.

....most likely a whole new kit till a guy is finished with it....what i do believe is that the rest of the chassis wouldn't really have to be changed.....maybe bakers skid....so it costs you 20000 with a turbo kit.....not 35000 for the turbo and chassis....I just dont understand whay Yamaha hasn't changed the tunnel design much on the nytro since its came out....

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
I get it Jeff...kinda sounded like you were putting me on the spot! I understand corporate mentality, I have been dealing with it for 20 years.

Not at all, i'm a sledder who likes his sled
I ain't working on snowest
Over 30 years in motorsports for me, I know it gives me a different perspective

What happened to your secondary?

Premium Features