• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MMax starting issues

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
My father-in-law has a '98 MMax 700. It is beyond a bear to start after it has sat for a week or so. You have to pull & pull & pull & pull. Well you get the point. It will not even act like it wants to fire for quite a wiel. Then all of a sudden it will fire up. Once warmed up starts just fine. I tried cheeting and dumped a little gas in the spark plug holes. It will fire right up. Until the gas in the cylinder runs out. I put about a half a quart of gas down the plug holes last night before it finally started.

My thoughts are some how all the gas is draining out of the lines and pump. But I am not sure. I need to pull the air box and see were the fuel gets to I guess.

Any Ideas? Or experience with this issue?

Thanks, Lt Rascal

I have a couple mm700's too. I have one that will start on the first or second pull after sitting for 3 months, the other is just like yours. I assume the fuel pump loses its prime and has to re fill. mine too starts every pull after the engine is started. I got sick of pulling my arse off and started to cheat. I take a propane weed burner torch and poke it into my airbox, feed it some propane and it fires first pull......not a fix for the problem, but a cure for a sore back form rowing on the rope.

Mountain Bound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Howdy, mine was the same, make sure the enricher(choke) is set to full stroke. This may sound weird but tip the sled on its side for about 30 seconds, put it back down, couple of pulls and it will start. I think it splashes fuel in , the only thing I can come up with.Good luck

Cheers

shortman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
newport nebraska
starting problem

Make sure your choke cable is adjusted correctly so it pulls the choke all the way on at full choke . Had the same problem with starting till i figured out that it was not coming completely on!

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
Pull the carbs and clean them out. You could have something plugged up.

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
We have two '99 MMax 700s. They came off of the assembly line one after the other. Mine starts up with a couple pulls. My dads almost always needs a shot of starting fluid to get it going. Once it is running, everything is fine.

People have told me before it might be a weak pump, bad coil, loosing prime, etc., etc.. We have lived with it for years and will probably just run it that way until someone finds a cure.

M

mtnmax97

Dec 24, 2007
Yakima WA
I had the same problem and I found that the line that goes from the block to the fule pump had a crack in it so it would loose its prime and hard to get it back because of the lose of presure in the line
Good luck

if all above info checks out and you still have the problem, you can file off up to 1mm on the choke plunger needles. this will allow more fuel through the choke circuit on these carbs. you must be precise. 1mm is the max. then readjust the choke cables to spec.

Premium Features