• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

upgrading: Should I get a Nytro??

F
Oct 31, 2012
hello sledheads i have a ? and would like some advice and perhaps encouragement. i have been a yamaha fan for years (a.t.v,s & sleds). currently my son and i are ridding 99 & 00 mountain max 700's 1 stock except a can & 1 tripple piped, clutched, 151 track, elkohlm tunnel e.t.c. the question i have is we would like to upgrade. as i said i am a yammy fan so i am looking at nytro's but i've heard there not verry nimble in the trees, we have had the chance to ride several newer model sleds (2 smokes) but no 4 strokes ( i liked my banshee better than my yfz). so i would like input on comparison's. thanks for your time....p.s. island park was awsome last weekend lots of stucks & endless powder.

Last edited:
T
Dec 25, 2007
Kind of a love em or hate em topic. However I imagine most would agree that without a significant amount of work done they do not really have the finesse in the snow that the other sleds do these days...

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
With 2+ foot of pow, a decent track, and suspension work, they'll work just fine. But come spring conditions, set up, or hard pack, you won't keep up with a 2 stroker, no matter how much work is done. The new Viper MTX would be a good pick, especially with boost if you can fork over the cash for one. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nytro and will ride it for many year and keep adding mods every year, but if you want a 4s, "capable" out of the box, I'd look at the viper. But for the money of a new 2015 Viper, you could get a hold over Nytro, do some suspension work, and have a heck of a sled with a proven power plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
If you are set on a nytro i would stay away from anything older then a 2010. I dont think there are many 08 or 09 that have not been highly modded to get them to work but they still are the worse one in the nytro family. In 2010 they made sublte changes to the front end geometry and lightened up the rear skid and a slightly lower approch angle to help in deep snow. Keep in mind you will still have to Moidify the 2010 and newer sleds just not as much. the nytro chassis is a money pit. If you are like a lot of people today who cant slap down 15000 on a new sled an older nytro may be the ticket. unless the sled has been thrashed under boost the engines are very dependible so you dont have to worry someone showing you old receipts on a 2S motor that will blow up the first ride after you buy it. lot of good info on here and over on totallyamaha on how to get them to work better. but you have to know going in that to get them to work you are going to have to spend some money that you would not have to on a 2S.to get the same performance. First mod would be a better track if it still has the OEM track and a +3 forward front end and a steering relocator and roll over vavle. All 4 are must have items in my opinion
I am like Vector Boy and mod my 08 every year to get it to work better for me. And until i can afford a new sled i will be riding for some time.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I have over 5000 miles on my nytro it has been boosted since jan of 08.
In stock form it could barely get out of its own way mostly due to the pos maverick track. A 162" camo extreme changed that in a hurry.
Now being a heavier guy 260 lbs with gear and back pack I have no problems controlling the sled when it's deep, but as stated above on set up snow whole different story. They are top heavy (wants to flip over easy on set up snow) IMHO
If you only ride trees I would not buy a nytro.
After dumping nearly 30k plus purchase price in it and losing about 60 lbs in the process I find it quite capable of going the same places(in the trees) I can go with my pro, but it definitely takes more effort to get there.

S
Sep 22, 2013
Idaho
I would say buy a good used pro. Great sled and very light weight, a blast right out of the box. But if yamaha took there yz 450 and made an oem snowbike that hade all the bugs solved for winter riding and could easily be converted back to a bike in the summer. Wow they would sell a sheetload. They are an innovator and they have the bike and they build sleds. I think it would be a game changer. I know you can buy the bike and convert it and so on but it's really more than I want to take on. I want an oem ready to ride winter and summer. If they do that my pro will be gone

F
Oct 31, 2012
thanks, i have researched the nyto a little. i atcually enjoy bolt on accessories like a-arms, skids, better running boards e.t.c, and would rather spend $ there than on an undependable motor. what i do not enjoy is being pulled back to the trailer with a blown motor wich is why im leening away from the newer 2s. after reading endless forums it sounds like on average if you want a dependable sled you buy a 600 2s or a thumper. but what do we expect these day's its only $12k for a new sled that might take you 2000 miles........... thanks again

Last edited:
C
Nov 29, 2008
If you are really set on a Nytro and depending on where you are, I would look for a late model used one with all of the mods already installed - most seem to be going for far less than the $ of the mods installed (air frame boards, 3"+ front end + shocks, boost, rear skid & shocks, steering relocate, tunnel dump exhaust, etc).

Personally, I would avoid it - had a pair of 08 stretched and they handled like $hit! Sure you could mod them but why should you have to spend extra $$$$$ to get it handle a bit better but still not so good as the competition. I thought about going that route for a while but for the cost of the mods I would be getting close to a new sled!

Went to a 600 Pro this season and so far am very pleased. Night and day difference in handling. Will the pro 600 2s last as long as a nytro motor - not likely - but my back and shoulders are feeling better.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Lots of good deals on nytros Id find one thats already totally upgraded front to back.. I sold my nytro this fall after seeing the viper at sled show it had 7000 km trouble free gas an go on 16-17 lbs boost..It handled better with all the upgrades z-broz front end, racers edge skid etc etc but a ton of money to get it there and still a handful in the tight trees but you get used to it.. Rode my daughters pro abit this season and been on snow bike alot but missed the boost picked up a totally done out apex dirt cheap cant give those sleds away.. I'll ride the shiet out of it and wait and see if yammi comes out with a new motor and chassis

R

Ridgeback71

Nov 18, 2013
Liberty Lake WA
Bought 2 used 2011 stock nytro's in November, 1 with 200 miles and 1 with 500. My brother has 4 2008's, but suspension is noted as very poor in 08 and 09s. Was sold on motor and reliability=several years worth of fun and no trouble shooting on vacation or way off the beaten path. E-start and just fuel and go have been great. Heavy front end wants to steer down and away on side hill. But rode deep snow in targhee NF (squirrel meadows) over New Years and not stuck once (high alpine meadows). Sled becomes very responsive with weight shift in untracked snow; I'm 235. Rode up and down mtn terrain in N Idaho recently and confidence grew throughout day in 2-3 ft. of fresh. Adding OFT relocator, rollover valve, lefty throttle, and probably a riser. Will do a +3 A Arm kit on 1 sled and see if turns easier on sidehills. Still, sleds were like brand new and got 2 for same coin as a new stock sled. Have been very happy and really can't lose much in value on them now. Figured if needed light 2 stroke could buy down the road these would be great family/trail sleds (married, 2 kids means time together).

Found the best deals on my nytro's in Seattle area (could have been coincidence, but wondered about heavier wet snow (cascade concrete they sometimes call it) vs Rockies. Meaning weight and tough steering compounded in those conditions.

Also bought a CRF 450 with Mtn. Horse kit in case not getting enough deep tree bushwhacking with the nytro's, but that's a totally different question from what you asked. In time, these should get more affordable (used) as well. Don't want to make waves with other readers, but many say will go places sleds won't, or would be sketchy on a sled (i.e. Really tight areas).

Research pays; good job looking and asking others!

Premium Features