• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Customer Service

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
Here's my story. Bought a new Viper from what I thought was a "reputable" dealer. Had them put an mcx turbo and stretch it out of the box. I might've had two solid days on it....just over 100miles. Half way thru the second day I was doing a climb and it "popped" out of forward and went into basically a neutral. Thought I either broke driveshaft or chain. Luckily a group came along and one of them had experience with these chain cases and suggested trying to put it in reverse. Low and behold it went into reverse. Was then able to get it back in forward and limp it down the hill. Cut my trip short and left days earlier than expected and took it straight back to dealer. That was 3wks ago. Was told different times I would get a call and no call came. I had to phone the dealer and learn there is an update for the chain case and parts are on back order. I was not happy with this but can't do much about back ordered parts. Salesman offered to take parts off another sled to get me riding but same problem probly would've occurred. Decided to just wait for the update. Update comes and are put on the sled. Dealer takes it for a test ride and blows a belt which breaks the side panel. I get a message from some service guy who says he "managed" to get the chain case work done on warranty (even tho I was told it was all covered under warranty anyways as it was a factory update) but that ill have over $300 bill for the belt and side panel. He even claimed the belt was going to blow anyways if I was riding it so it comes at my cost.

For one thing I find it amusing that he says it was going to blow on me anyways. If that was the case should I not have been informed that the belt had something on it that it was going to blow instead of them just riding it?? Seeing as it blew when they were riding then caused more damage to my sled how does that turn into my cost????

I spent close to $30g on this sled and have barely put 100miles on it. I've missed 3wks of good riding. I don't expect to be treated like royalty but expect to be treated a helluva lot better than this.

I'd sure like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm picking the sled up tmrw so well see then how it actually plays out but I'm ready to lose my mind. At this point I'm close to just wanting my money back and never deal with this dealer again.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I cant imagine how any company can get away with charging you for something that happened to your sled while they were riding it....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
That seems pretty extreme. Have you gone in and spoken to management in person yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
What parts are used in the update? Can't figure how a chain "pops" off a sprocket(or probably the reverse idler jumped out?). And Yamahas don't eat belts especially in 100 miles. Something wrong with the clutching. How many turbo Vipers have these guys built? And to try to charge you for a belt and a cover? I'd throw a sh!t fit and demand my $$ back.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
What parts are used in the update? Can't figure how a chain "pops" off a sprocket(or probably the reverse idler jumped out?). And Yamahas don't eat belts especially in 100 miles. Something wrong with the clutching. How many turbo Vipers have these guys built? And to try to charge you for a belt and a cover? I'd throw a sh!t fit and demand my $$ back.

there is a solenoid in the cat chain case that shifts from forward to revers & holds it in forward.for some reason it seems to be weak & lets it come out of gear when on the throttle.cat is having same issue.
some info here
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=125870

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=125735

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I haven't spoken to management about it yet. I'm planning on going to pick it up tmrw. And they say they have built like 100 turbos in the last few yrs. I understand that it is a brand new build and there will be growing pains but I think the service I've received so far is beyond lacking. I had a turbo nytro and a turbo apex before this. I've never had a problem with Yamaha belts. So either I have a lemon or they screwed up on the build somehow. I really hope it's not the build but either way after spending close to 30g and ruining a trip where i have to drive nearly 14hrs one way they better look after things better than this.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Being the guy who spent most of his business life on the other side of the counter, I suggest the calm-cool-collected approach. Most professionals are pretty reasonable and if you present your case in a rational non-emotional manner chances are pretty good that someone in management will take care of you in a like manner.

Come in there loaded for bear with both guns blazing and don't be surprised if it doesn't end the way you wanted it to..

J
Dec 10, 2012
Being the guy who spent most of his business life on the other side of the counter, I suggest the calm-cool-collected approach. Most professionals are pretty reasonable and if you present your case in a rational non-emotional manner chances are pretty good that someone in management will take care of you in a like manner.

Come in there loaded for bear with both guns blazing and don't be surprised if it doesn't end the way you wanted it to..

I haven't had any experience with destructions such as this, but I definitely agree with Christopher... You will always catch more flies with Honey than with Vinegar.

You might also consider documenting your story of the events as they transpired. What happened, what was promised... Just so you have it straight and available if you need to take this higher... Write when you are cool. Proof and re-read it the next day when you are cooler.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Truth is truth , no need to sugar coat it. go in with both guns blazing and introduce them to PURE FEAR...!!!!

That's the worst advice ever. Do not do that.

I was a Parts/Service manager for time enough to know that when a guy comes in red hot, I took pleasure in NOT giving in.

As someone said, write it down, be calm about it, explain it to the guy that is in charge. Not the service writer, not the salesman, if they Manager doesn't even have final say, bypass him. Tell your story once, tell it true, and rely on your notes if need be.

A rational business person will not let you pay for his companies screw up.

I woulda told you about the belt and panel, but wouldn't even have blinked about replacing it.

As far as warming you up to the warranty thing, that's piss poor service. He knows it's a cut and dry warranty bulletin. Who is he trying to fool?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
psst...I was kidding..

well maybe a little bit..what the dealership is doing is robbery..no other word for it...its outright straight up robbery and im certain management is aware of the crime that has taken place and will only come clean when they know that their hand is caught in the cookie jar.

I don't care who is on the other side of the counter...they can not be a thief . And the deal breaker is not smiles or back patting,the
deal breaker is what the truth is.

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
there is a solenoid in the cat chain case that shifts from forward to revers & holds it in forward.for some reason it seems to be weak & lets it come out of gear when on the throttle.cat is having same issue.
some info here
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=125870

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=125735

Yamaha is beginning to realize the downside of slipping between the sheets with Arctic Cat.

This is the kinda stuff you just never hear about from Yamaha.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
you would probably get into trouble if you kick in side panel on there showroom sled and say ..we are even now..LOL

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I was thinking I should submit all my gas receipts for all the trips I have to make for this thing seeing as its over 800km round trip......maybe they'd go for that lol

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to get it today so ill let you all know how it turns out. Luckily it's a 4hr drive so I have time to cool off before I walk in the door.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING IN WRITING is a great way to go.

Have it all in black and white so you can hand it to the manager when you go in for your meeting.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Yamaha is beginning to realize the downside of slipping between the sheets with Arctic Cat.

This is the kinda stuff you just never hear about from Yamaha.

What he said. That's after 3 yrs. of "fixing" it too.

The belt and side panel is a dealership problem. 30,000 dollars or 300 bucks, their decision.

Premium Features