• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Remembering Animal......

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I doubt many people check this anymore, but I wanted to share that Carolyn, Dave's wife was remarried Saturday, September 3rd. This is a great step, and I am so happy for her.

Thank you all for the love and kindness you have shown her and the girls over the years. I can't believe it will be seven years in January.

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
Congratulations to Carolyn.

I hope her new life if full of wonder and happiness.

I also hope that the attention and contributions that she and her family received from ours, especially the care of Kim and Doug, made life easier for her during the transition.

Cheers,
Rich

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Great to hear. Congrats to her and the family. Be sure to let us know if the sledding brotherhood is needed in the future for any reason, we're still out here.

Thanks for the update. EW

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Dave is on my mind today.... It is coming up on 7 years since his death. I realize many who are active on this site never knew him, or maybe have never even heard of him. He came into and out of my life way too quickly, but what a profound impact his living, and dying, has had on me, and so many others. He was a good man! He loved his girls, his friends, and reached out to everyone, including complete strangers.

I have met few men like Dave. Some of my strongest, life-long friendships have come through, and because of, him. I am very grateful for that, which has been a silver lining in an otherwise tremendous tragedy and loss. The older I get, the more I realize it is ok for a guy to tell his friends he appreciates what they bring to his life. For my buds who are still around here, thank you!

Remember your friends, and be thankful for the great times you share! Please make sure you ALL return home safely after every ride this Winter! Sledding is a great sport, but it is NOT worth dying for!

R

Rock Star

Mar 29, 2008
Park City, Utah
KIm, It was pretty special today to eat with you, Dunatic and Blake. Of course we talked of Dave and the girls and the time that has passed. What Dave created still lives on in us and today it felt even stronger. We've spent the past 7 years preaching safety and living safety in the mountains so others would not have to feel the loss we did. We have also spent 7 years living like an Animal. It's great to see the old friendships grow and the new ones form because of the lessons we learned from our friend, Dave. For all that never knew Dave, we can only say you missed a classic. A once in a lifetime man. The lessons basic.. be kind, and accepting and genuine. Please think when you head out this year to ride. Think of everyone you love and what they'd miss if you got caught and died. We now have 7 years more knowledge, more advanced predictions and equipment. That's a lifetime of more reasons to not get into trouble. 7 years is also a lifetime wishing you'd not lost a friend sledding. God Bless you Dave. Thanks for all you taught me and left me with. Bring Oranges!! ;)

Last edited:

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
7 years ago today I had a deep ride with great friends. We shared a lot of laughs, ate some stellar Animal food at his cabin, and enjoyed each other's company while playing some poker. As always, Dave was the life of the party.
Seven years has gone by quickly it seems. I miss his calls....."SUNRIIIIIIDGE!!! Let's RIDE!!!!!"

RIP my friend!

R

Rock Star

Mar 29, 2008
Park City, Utah
very few things in life can capture a moment in time like this event did. It seems like yesterday even at 7 years. My thoughts today go out to Dave, his wonderful family and to all that rode with him that day. The best we can do is continue to ride safely and to in so many ways... be an Animal! Miss ya Dave.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Just wanted to share.....

Monday, March 12, 2012, Dave's oldest daughter Staci was married. It was a glaring reality that she did not have her dad there to walk her down the isle, at least not physically present! Carolyn, Dave's wife, told me to look at her bouquet....there in the middle of it was a picture of Staci and her dad, so he could be with her, walking her down the isle. It has been seven years....hard to believe these little girls have grown up.

RIP buddy! Dammit...I wish you were still here!!!

snailbait

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Utah
Animal stickers

Kim,
Do you have, or know where we can get more of the original Animal memorial stickers? The round ones. It's lasted a long time, but is getting pretty tattered. I would like to get some new ones. I keep the one I have on the drivers window of my truck. It reminds me to ride safe, and most of all enjoy my friends and family to the fullest!
If you know, or anyones else here for that matter, please let me know.
Thanks,
Steve O
P.S. I can get you a picture if needed.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
Dustin (dbfoto) made the original ones. We can contact him, or if you are willing to make some Eston, that would be awesome! I would like some as well.

Can't believe it has been 8 years on January 8th.... :brokenheart:

Tomorrow is not guaranteed! Be good to each other and live it like you mean it!

snailbait

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Utah
Kim,
I will contact Dustin of FB and see if he still has the artwork. Eston, I will let you know if I can get the art work, of if Dustin can make them. Thanks!

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
580543_4568299359980_173442280_n.jpg

I'm not on here much anymore...and I am sure there are a lot of newer people who have no idea who Animal is/was. I thought I'd share my thoughts today, on the 8th anniversary of his passing.

I am convinced that people, especially those who have an impact, come into and even out of our lives with a purpose. I consider myself a very blessed man in these regards. Through some of the greatest difficulty and heartbreak, I have come to better understand love, friendship, acceptance, forgiveness, and the worth of all people. 8 years ago this morning I faced the unthinkable for me....losing a close friend by an avalanche while doing something we both loved, sledding. We were a group of great friends on the mountain that day. I saw good, strong people act like giants! The man in these pictures, Dave Johnson ("Animal" on Snowest), changed my life for good in his living, and dying. I love, miss and am so thankful for knowing him. There is a much larger story through all of this, a story of true human goodness. Dave lived life large, and was a true friend to everyone he knew. The news of his passing sent a shock wave throughout the mountain sledding community. Shock and disbelief quickly turned to condolences and calls for assistance. Friends, loved ones, and even complete strangers came forward with an outpouring of love and giving. There is real power that comes from people united in a worthy cause. Every year at this time, amongst the sadness I still feel, I am reminded of the goodness within all of us. I try to rededicate myself to be a better man and friend. I am grateful to so many wonderful people who have had positive impacts on my life. And, I am grateful to God for allowing me the opportunity to be blessed by them. RIP my friend! Be an Animal today everyone!

Please be safe out there everyone!

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I received this from a caring friend today, "Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart!" Dave was one of those shooting star kind of guys. He left a great legacy of family and friendships. I am a better man for having known him and being able to call him my good friend!

HAPPY ANIMAL DAY!!! :face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features