• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11.5" ski on '16 ST

O
Mar 20, 2016
Central Oregon
The search function on this forum sucks! Does anybody have some riding time in on the new 11.5" ski installed on an older ST kit? If so, does it bolt right up without having to manufacture or order new special parts? Thanks for your replies and comments!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
The new ski isn't a direct bolt on, you will need the new spindle also. Keep in mind that your wheel kit probably won't work either. If you're still using the TS all terrain wheel kit, it not only needs to be wider but also longer.

The new ski is great though. :face-icon-small-win

Not a cheap upgrade. Curious what the weight difference is between the two ski/spindle/hardware combos. Not a huge deal because if the new ski works better then weight is kinda irrelevant but curious anyway.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I just picked up the new ski and spindle combo ( lifted it up to look at) at the dealership , and it feels like 50% lighter than my old set up.

Not sure the exact numbers , there was nothing for a direct comparison, but just a WA guess would be close tho 50% lighter.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ski and spindle is $500.00

Ski not available separately yet. (No parts fische)

Fitting the spindle would require some pieces to attach your old fork tube clamps to.

I don't know the weight difference but I was shocked when I picked up the new ski, I expected it to be much heavier. Kind of like when you grab a titanium bolt - the weight to size just seems wrong.

As far as I know the old fork clamps work with the new spindle, you just need washers between the nut and spindle.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
The new Ski with the 3 Skegs is almost 600 without the spindle form Polaris. If the dealer cuts you a break it's just under 550. I already trashed my ARO ski on my first fall ride... so that cost is known now. Not sure the whole thing with the spindle, but I think you're a bit low at 500 as an estimate.

The new Ski with the 3 Skegs is almost 600 without the spindle form Polaris. If the dealer cuts you a break it's just under 550. I already trashed my ARO ski on my first fall ride... so that cost is known now. Not sure the whole thing with the spindle, but I think you're a bit low at 500 as an estimate.

There was a promotion going on. ARO ski and spindle for $500. Sounds like you better try to find a dealer with that package ready to go!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah

A bent ski doesn’t mean anything once the snow gets good. Just bend it back.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
the ski

pretty trashed... i'm hoping with a new center skeg I can build it up with some metal spacers, put a plant on top where the plastic is worn through for the backing nuts, and then fill under the skeg with a plastic welder. Then it will be my fall/spring rock ski.

IMG_20171107_185746_01.jpg

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
pretty trashed... i'm hoping with a new center skeg I can build it up with some metal spacers, put a plant on top where the plastic is worn through for the backing nuts, and then fill under the skeg with a plastic welder. Then it will be my fall/spring rock ski.

Oh man. If you replace the skag you might wanna go with the triple carbide gold skag. It wears better, rides better, and doesn’t hang up as bad on stuff.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Does the new ski mount differently with either spindle ? Moved back ?

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
My buddy has the Yeti ski on his Snowtech MX. it's skinny is the only real issue. He just ordered the TS ARO ski for his kit... we both wrecked our skis the other night on our way too early in the season ride. I'll let you know the feedback in 3 weeks or so when we get his bike out on the 11.5 ARO ski. He's got 2 seasons on the Yeti under his belt.. so it will be a fair comparison.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
Is that all we went? Felt like 15 miles on the way back knowing we were about to start hitting the spindles after the plastic was gone

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
Woo hoo

Excellent information! Sounds like a good place for a wheel. ?

Premium Features