• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK Turboed '16 Axys: Engine hard to start

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
Hi all, sorry if posting this in the wrong spot. Yesterday I took my first ride on my '16 Axys with a new MTNTK turbo installed. Ran really good, no bogs or flat spots, very little turbo lag, and best of all, absolutely ZERO det issues that plagued my '15 Pro that had another brand of turbo installed on it.

My problem: it is fairly hard to start. After the sled sat in my garage for 1 week (at 50*) it took 10-12 pulls to start. After sled is warmed up to 100*, then shut down for a few minutes, it only takes one pull to start. However, if it sits for 10-15 minutes (and/or engine temp drops below 100*), it will take up to 5 pulls, varying throttle positions, in order to get it started again. Is this normal? My arm is getting tired! I was wondering if this was because of the relocated injectors, but Nate from MTNTK said it is just a common issue with the Axys even when they are left stock (?).

I bought the sled used, it has 350 miles on it, and did not ride it before I installed the turbo (no, not a good idea); so very possible it had starting issues already. It does have a 2 year warranty, but that may be worthless now because of the added turbo LOL.

Let me know how yours are doing. Thanks.

Also, what weights and psi boost you running at around 5,000'? I have 72 gram Polaris weights installed and even with wastegate turned down all the way (no boost gauge so not sure boost levels) it is still revving almost 8500 rpm. Thinking about 74 grams so I have the option of turning the boost up :face-icon-small-coo

Again, thanks ahead of time for your replies

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
Small fuel leak somewhere and pressure is bleeding down when it sits.(?) Look and smell around fittings, especially at top of fuel pump. I somehow put a hairline crack in the supply nipple on the pump when installing my MTNTK kit and had similar symptom.
The MTNTK kits sometimes need a little throttle to start when hot.
My 16 uses 72 weights at 7-8500ft taching 83-8400. Boost is as delivered, so 6 to 7 lbs guessing.

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
Thanks for the info and tips. No fuel leaks, I do smell fuel at top of tank but it is coming from the tank fuel cap. I also used the power up cable to prime the fuel pump before trying to start and no difference.
Will try cracking the throttle even when cold and see if that helps, it does help when warmed up.

wyorider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Check

Check all your electrical connections. Clean terminals and then reapply some dielectric grease. I have seen this on stock sleds as well as turbo sleds.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Jeff
I started my 17 Axys MTNTK in 4 pulls. Temperature was about 4-5 degrees below freezing and had been sitting for a couple of days. My Pro typically would have started with 2-3 pulls around the same temp and conditions. By the way this is my first sled with a electric start and hadn't tried pull starting till this morning after reading your thread. Hope this helps

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
More test starts today (At only 600' elevation and 12 degree outdoor temps):

1. Sled sat in heated garage for 3 days. Bully Dog showed engine temp at 64 degrees before start. Took only 2 pulls to start.

2. Ran sled around for 15 minutes then parked outside and shut off, then restarted at these intervals:
- at 5 minutes took 1 pull (engine temp down to 102*)
- at 15 minutes took 1 pull (engine temp down to 92*)
- at 30 minutes took 1 pull (engine temp down to 68*)
- at 1 hour it took 2 pulls (engine temp was 56*)

So, my sled's hard starting is not only cold related but elevation related as well. No cracking of the throttle was needed.

I think it is simply too rich at start up at the higher elevations and that is obviously why opening the throttle helps on the hills. I don't think it has anything to do with the TPS or other electrical connections.

I apologize for the boring info, just hoping this will provide some clues to the right person. Looking forward to getting the restart down to just a pull or two!
Jeff

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
Thanks again for the replies guys. Yes, cracking the throttle helps a bunch at higher elevations, but still takes 2-3 pulls to get it restarted. Sounds like some sleds no problems and others are like mine. I am having my TPS checked in case it is not set properly.

What weights and boost levels you running? I just installed 10-74's and rpm is 8400 with only 3-4 psi boost (5500')

T
Jan 4, 2011
I ran my 2017 axys stock until 18 hour breakin was complete. It would start in 3 pulls when cold regardless of elevation. Once warmed up it would take 1 pull.

I installed the MTNTK kit this week and ran it around my house @ ~5000' and it would take 4-5 pulls to start when temps were below 100°. Once it was warmed up it would take 1-3 pulls to start and you would have to give it a little throttle sometimes also.

It idles very rough and has cut out on me a couple times when under 100° idling.

I took it up to the mountains today and tried starting it at 7400' and I ended up flooding the engine.

Checked spark, changed spark plugs, sprayed ether directly into the cylinders, varied throttle position and pulled over 100 times.
Ended up having to pull the spark plugs and just pull until fuel mist quit coming out before it would start.

It eventually started and I rode from 7400'-9000'. It was a massive pain to start every time I cut it off. Would require 4-5 pulls even when warm without throttle.

It definitely seems like it's way too rich on startup especially at altitude.

When stock the sled ran soooo much better. Tune leaves a LOT to be desired.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
We have 3 of them. Takes anything from 2-10 pulls. Doesn't seem to be a pattern as to what causes the hard starting. Mine has started in 2 pulls at 0 degrees and 10 at 0 degrees. That being said, mine idles perfectly and definitely don't see problems with the tune.

I'd be checking your TPS and look for boost leaks. We set all our base settings to .700V and idle at .940-.950V. And checked for boost leaks during install. Are you sure your injector harness is installed correctly and not flipped 180? We have no issues and have collectively over 50 hrs run time between the three sleds. I think you will be happy once it's running well.

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
I do not have any issues either when it is running; crisp throttle response and absolutely zero hiccups from take off to wheelies:face-icon-small-coo

My third trip to the hills I did this every time I shut the motor down: before attempting to start, I would turn the key off and pull the motor over 1-2 times with throttle wide open. Then turned the key on and one hard pull with throttle slightly cracked and it started almost every time. Still blows a bit of smoke when it starts, so for sure very rich above 2000' at start up.
Jeff

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
Installed NGK BR9EYA plugs and gapped to .023. Went on my 4th ride to the hills yesterday: at 2000' Sled started in 4 pulls when 10* outside temps. And most warm restarts around 5000' it started in just 1 to 2 pulls (slight cracking of throttle still needed). I think these plugs helped a lot.

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
Glad to hear they have a new tune; wonder why they did not contact me? I sent them my Bullydog sd card with some data logs so they could analyze the map and let me know how the sled is doing and never heard back from them. Calling them this am! :face-icon-small-coo

J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
Update as of Feb 10 2017:

Unfortunately I was not able to get much help from mtntk....they have not answered several emails that I sent them over the last 3 weeks. Called them a few times too and they said they would review my data logs (that I sent them over a month ago) and never heard back. They said they have a new fuel tune to help with starting issues but why they did not install it on my sd card and send it to me is beyond me....

The combination of the turbo hard starting issues, the longer track, and the added weight of the turbo kit made it just too much work to ride this sled and so I sold it. I now have a brand new '16 Axys Pro Rmk 800 with the 155" track. Starts in 2 pulls (ice cold) and 1 pull rest of the day :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features