• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Yamaha YZ450FX Super Hero Builds - CMX - Yeti - TS

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Would be cool to see how the two other big kits compare. Just slap down another 30 grand and get two more bikes set up!

Are those seats a custom thing done just for you or can anyone get one?

We can have your seat built for you. We send it out to Seat Concepts and have them recover and foam with your colors. $199

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Wow! Thank you for the detailed review. How soon will you have a chance to try the Yeti 3rd shock? Do you think the YZ450fx is a better bike than the SX or FC450? Again great job on the review!:face-icon-small-coo

I should have the RSS on the snow in a week or so, but do not expect a review of it any time soon. I want to see how it acts in multiple snow conditions.

I prefer the Yamaha YZ450FX, RELIABILITY and price over the KTM product. The power between the two is similar and the KTM is a little lighter.

Thank you

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Pretty much just solidified my decision. ......

Thanks for all the time and effort......

Oh yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Are you willing to sell the Hulk???:eyebrows:

Thank you,

I am not selling the Hulk this season. I will keep it through next. I have NOS plans for him. I think it will make him very angry.

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Do you know how hard it is to hide ten grand from my wife???!!!???
I'm gonna have to tell her. And i'm gonna havta tell her it's your fault Toby. Sorry. Can't be helped.

I know, I'm a bad man!!!! :face-icon-small-win Have her contact me. I will put her in touch with the support group my wife has started for husbands addicted to snow bikes.

I'm sure this won't be the last time either!!!!

My second bike purchase was the hardest one to justify to the wife. The good news is by the time you go to purchase your 8th and 9th and buy in multiples she does not even say a word any more. It's still cheaper that drugs and prostitutes from what I hear, and not as bad on the marriage. It's all in how you sell it!!!! Now go talk to her.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I would have to say I don't think I've run into a review post on SnoWest yet that is so totally against one brand to the point where it reads through the entire review. The summation of your experience testing the 3 systems you documented leads me to believe that things just have to be different in Colorado.... maybe the snow is different, maybe the terrain is more relaxed, maybe gravity fails to follow the laws of nature that exist in the other 49 states. I don't know... it's just odd.

So let's look at a few items. The skis to start out with. Most of us should know by now that the X2 is the hands down worst of the 3 skis these packages offer. I noticed you ditched the X2 option on your CMXBK which is great... because it totally blows goats. That leaves the Yeti ski and the TS ski. What most people around here will agree (at least those who TRY to be unbiased) is that the Yeti ski is very good in the soft champagne and the trail. The Yeti will hold that uphill edge better in the super deep and it tracks hella well on beat up trails. Any other condition and the TS ski takes the trophy home. In the spring, forget about it... that Yeti ski bites way too hard and you expel more energy to get it out of a turn than you do initiating it. A crust on top of powder? The ski yanks the bike around hard and creates resistance that the TS ski doesn't have. Several people I know that purchased Yeti skis for their TS now have them sitting in the garage looking for buyers. I really think a large portion of the snowbiking industry rides a lot more trail than we do over here so that is the only way I can understand why so many people think it's better.

The tracks. In your review I didn't see any mention of the performance of the Convex track. Why is that? Why would the best track on the market not be included? In the deep snow the Max 2.5 and Convex are on very close parity... but as the base sets in the Convex is the clear winner. The Convex also holds a sidehill better in pretty much all conditions. There are other things we could also point out and debate but the ski and track alone are enough to spur well reasoned performance based discussions to where even if you are partial to one brand or another you can at least admit where someone does something right and earns a check mark.

To finalize your total experience with these kits you compare them to vehicles. The Timbersled is a Jeep Wrangler, the CMXBK is a 3/4 million dollar Trophy Truck, and the Yeti is a 1 million dollar rally car. Really? You think that in a 1 million dollar game the Timbersled is off your top pick by $960,000 dollars? Are you selling stuff or are you truly reviewing and giving these items a day in court?

The fact that you are no longer associated with Timbersled, and not happy about that fact, reads so heavily here I just can't trust what you say about the other stuff man. It's a shame with the resources you have at your fingertips.

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
Rush can you honestly say your not Bias to Timbersled?? Maybe you should go back and read all your post. I have not rode the Yeti I have one on order but I have owned Timbersled & had a CMX this year I think the review was not far off but that's my 2 cents.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Rush can you honestly say your not Bias to Timbersled?? Maybe you should go back and read all your post. I have not rode the Yeti I have one on order but I have owned Timbersled & had a CMX this year I think the review was not far off but that's my 2 cents.

I can totally agree that I like what I ride. I've been in this game since (almost) the very beginning of the MH so of course I'm going to have biases and preferences, but I will acknowledge performance and value wherever it resides. Go back and read this review as if you never owned a Timbersled or have any experience with either... can you even tell that it exists except for the picture?

There is biased honesty and there is salesmanship. I know which one this reads like.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
thanks a lot

hey Toby thanks a lot for taking the time to put together your posts and give us opinions on the three kits.

Your comprehensive list of add ons and mods really does reflect what it takes to put a reliable comfortable bike out in the snow. $2000 for must have mods, yup............read it and weep. You will end up there or quit.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
hey Toby thanks a lot for taking the time to put together your posts and give us opinions on the three kits.

Your comprehensive list of add ons and mods really does reflect what it takes to put a reliable comfortable bike out in the snow. $2000 for must have mods, yup............read it and weep. You will end up there or quit.

I appreciate the detail in your review, well done.

Bluewatertoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2012
Saskatchewan
I know you say in your opening statement of your review that we all know how the TS setup works. But yet you claim an unbiased view towards TS and then write a 2 sentence review on the TS, but almost a full page on the CMX and the YETI. What if as a consumer I have zero seat time on the TS. Looks to me like a complete dismissal of the TS kit in your opinion, and by the looks of your website, not even selling TS anymore. Pretty sure if the Canadian dollar was at par or even .95c not many Americans would be forking out 11,000 dollars for a Yeti.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I can totally agree that I like what I ride. I've been in this game since (almost) the very beginning of the MH so of course I'm going to have biases and preferences, but I will acknowledge performance and value wherever it resides. Go back and read this review as if you never owned a Timbersled or have any experience with either... can you even tell that it exists except for the picture?

There is biased honesty and there is salesmanship. I know which one this reads like.

LMAO.....
Another "unbiased" self proclaimed TS lover's review of another persons review of new products.

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
"When comparing the cost of a TS SX w/ TSS at $7495.00, a CMX BK at $6995.00, and Yeti MX at $8500.00 you can truly justify the added expense. The CMX BK gives you way more bang for your buck than the TS. Then for those of us that want the ultimate, and price is no object, the Yeti MX delivers for 2017, at a cost of $1005.00 more. You do have to compare the top of the line TS to these other kits to be fair. Shocks are a huge part of pricing in a system and if you price compare a TS RAW to a Yeti. You are comparing a GEO Metro to a Cadillac. Yes, they both have four wheels and an engine but that is about the only similarities."

I'm confused why your comparing the cost of a timbersled SX if that's not what you tested, why wouldn't it be $6,300 for the kit like you mentioned on page 1?

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
"When comparing the cost of a TS SX w/ TSS at $7495.00, a CMX BK at $6995.00, and Yeti MX at $8500.00 you can truly justify the added expense. The CMX BK gives you way more bang for your buck than the TS. Then for those of us that want the ultimate, and price is no object, the Yeti MX delivers for 2017, at a cost of $1005.00 more. You do have to compare the top of the line TS to these other kits to be fair. Shocks are a huge part of pricing in a system and if you price compare a TS RAW to a Yeti. You are comparing a GEO Metro to a Cadillac. Yes, they both have four wheels and an engine but that is about the only similarities."

I'm confused why your comparing the cost of a timbersled SX if that's not what you tested, why wouldn't it be $6,300 for the kit like you mentioned on page 1?

I compared the SX pricing because of the value of the better shocks.

I was trying to compare pricing of the top of the line kits. Yeti and CMX do not offer price points. They only offer the best they have.

Sorry for the confusion.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
After watching what the mototrax did at Jackson, was wondering if you got any seat time on one, I'm kind of a powder hound but there's always the ride to and from so wondering how there long track would do? The TS,CMX ,Yeti all seem to have a very similar design rsuspension the Moto looks more swing arm acting, not saying that's better or worse, just my observations??

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
In regards to the skis snow condition does make a big difference imo. For the most part i think the Yeti is a better ski. In the hard wet snow it does tend to grab and drag with snow build up. However the TS ski does the same thing but not quite as aggressive. I tend to ride deep powder days and rarely get out on spring days. The Yeti ski is much better on all the trails i have ridden to date from whooped out bad boys to ice. The Yeti ski is planted and gives a guy confidense to not smash his head of the ground !

In any powder condition i have tried the Yeti is also much better. For my riding areas and snow conditions i will always rather the Yeti ski and Yeti kit for that matter. Each to their own.

M
Jan 14, 2004
So let's look at a few items. The skis to start out with. Most of us should know by now that the X2 is the hands down worst of the 3 skis these packages offer. I noticed you ditched the X2 option on your CMXBK which is great... because it totally blows goats.

That is some funny chit. I love starting the day with a good belly laugh, good one buddy, talk soon.

M5

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Can you post a pic of the kickstarter clearance on the RH drive of the CMXBX?

Nevermind, this post is at the end of the "free" visibility so I can't see anything that gets posted anyways.

Thanks,
Kell

Last edited:
Premium Features