• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how many of you have bent aarms on the 16 pro?

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
What would be cool from a data perspective is if we could actually get accurate info about what happened in conjunction with production batch of the a-arms. I bounced through rocks and logs in streams, stuck a ski in the snow coming down hill and went over the bars. Arms are still perfect.

Makes me wonder if it is someone's definition of "barely hit something" or are there real production challenges. Maybe both. I have a good friend who says his stuff is like new and it is beat to hell and I wouldn't take it off his hands if he was paying me to take it.

S
Jul 30, 2015
Calgary, AB
What would be cool from a data perspective is if we could actually get accurate info about what happened in conjunction with production batch of the a-arms. I bounced through rocks and logs in streams, stuck a ski in the snow coming down hill and went over the bars. Arms are still perfect.

Makes me wonder if it is someone's definition of "barely hit something" or are there real production challenges. Maybe both. I have a good friend who says his stuff is like new and it is beat to hell and I wouldn't take it off his hands if he was paying me to take it.

It's the person for sure. The sled is tangled in trees, but the guy "barely hit it"

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
It most likely has to do not with how hard something was hit...but the trajectory of the impact to the lower a-arm. Seems as if they are stout with a frontal impact but not so stout with a side impact or jarring on the carbide?

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I've "barely" hit stuff with mine. Both direct on and cutting across a sidehill and thought "Crap, there goes my arms" after hearing these stories on the forum. Looked, straight as an arrow. I would say a hard hit is definitely up to interpretation

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
It's about time we had omni directional G-force recorders installed straight from the factory.

We could be comparing hits from this season to last season or any freaking season and truely know which year was-is stronger. This is very important info to be able to enjoy a day in the hills!

Where is Poo spending all the research dollars? On a better performing sled???? What a waste, eh.

snowmoherb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle - ish
www.butterfieldplumbing.com
First pic is from hitting a rock, I went over the bars a little, but not completely off the sled. Seemed a little weaker than the older models, but I did hit the rock pretty good and my ski dropped into a little hole just before it:

Second pic is of the tree I hit after my sled did a little ghost ride into it. Wasn't going that fast, but it shook the tree pretty good and I thought the a-arm was a goner. it bent the upper a-arm barely. Not even really enough to think about replacing it... Hard to say in my opinion. They seem a little weaker, but not "Weak".

IMG_20151120_154852940.jpg IMG_20151128_143906446.jpg

bobgrmkpro

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Bismarck, ND
www.wfadvisors.com
I did and the answer is yes the 15's arm would also have bent in my opinion. It was a solid hit and I flew over the handle bars. The lower arm was bent a lot but drivable. I doubt that the 15 arm would have sustained that hit and not bent. guess we'll never know for sure. The new replacement arms are BACKORDERED. Go figure.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I did and the answer is yes the 15's arm would also have bent in my opinion. It was a solid hit and I flew over the handle bars. The lower arm was bent a lot but drivable. I doubt that the 15 arm would have sustained that hit and not bent. guess we'll never know for sure. The new replacement arms are BACKORDERED. Go figure.

Boston Racing posted he had a lot of take offs, if you want back on the snow sooner than waiting for back ordered parts.

Might be worth a PM to him

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Heck, my task today is to straighten the front end of a 2012 Tundra 2 550 fan (strut style, as tough as it gets). Poor sled was just doing it's job in the bush and a stump grew up right in it's path. The engine doesn't have enough power to blow your hair back.
Yet here it is. Crap design eh!

Doo has a patent on the fold up bulkhead on the Tundra. They did that when the stuck a 600 in it and hit stuff a lot harder than on a 550. :)

I've "barely" hit stuff with mine. Both direct on and cutting across a sidehill and thought "Crap, there goes my arms" after hearing these stories on the forum. Looked, straight as an arrow. I would say a hard hit is definitely up to interpretation

I bet it takes at least 25% more than a 2000lb hit to the ski carbide to bend the a-arm. However the damage happened, it's always JRA (just ridin' along). I've bought out all the IQ RH a-arms and IFS shocks in one weekend at Cooke prior to the invention of the Pro. I don't expect the sled to be a trophy truck, maybe some do. I've bent a few on my Pros and I'll bend some more I suspect. I'm gonna have a good chuckle when the first guy posts here that Poo warranty sucks 'cause he blew a hole in his bulkhead with aftermarket arms and it's not covered. :face-icon-small-hap

C
Dec 24, 2014
Boston Racing posted he had a lot of take offs, if you want back on the snow sooner than waiting for back ordered parts.

Might be worth a PM to him

Or just know that nobody wants to sell arms in less than a full set and they want $400+ for the set. Carls Cycle had one in stock when my six local dealers didn't. Next time though it will be a new aftermarket set because they cost the same as what people want for flimsy used sets...

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
I had a interesting chat with a dealer and performance shop the other day while ordering bulkhead supports for a pro project. He said they have seen a couple bulkheads already done in, he attributed 1 to the fact they where running aftermarket a-arms that where stronger than OEM. He mentioned a lot of guys with broken a-arms. One of his last comments was if the a-arms aren't bending or breaking the bulkheads would be toast on these new Axys's. Don't shoot the messenger I don't have an AXYS, just got into some side banter while waiting for the computer to get to the credit card screen I guess.

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I had a interesting chat with a dealer and performance shop the other day while ordering bulkhead supports for a pro project. He said they have seen a couple bulkheads already done in, he attributed 1 to the fact they where running aftermarket a-arms that where stronger than OEM. He mentioned a lot of guys with broken a-arms. One of his last comments was if the a-arms aren't bending or breaking the bulkheads would be toast on these new Axys's. Don't shoot the messenger I don't have an AXYS, just got into some side banter while waiting for the computer to get to the credit card screen I guess.

Carry collision insurance and all worries of a wrecked bulkhead disappear. Way I see it, Id rather risk the major hit that results in a totaled bulkhead due to my stronger arms than a minor hit that ruins a day/wknd because of a bent a arm

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I really don't think the aftermarket A-Arms are a huge percentage stronger than the factory A-Arms. Just enough that they don't bend when they shouldn't. If that is enough to break a bulkhead then there will be a lot of broken bulkheads anyway. Polaris is going to have some serious issues if a lot of broken bulkheads start appearing.........

The force of impact is certainly transferred from the ski through the arms and their multiple mounting positions (although not always equally) however it isn't wholly absorbed by just the bulkhead. This being said I wouldn't be surprised to see bulkhead braces showing up from the aftermarket if there does end up being a surge of broken bulkheads........

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I have a new Axys and have had new pros each year since 2011. I havnt looked over the new sled, but is the bulkhead not as strong on the axys as it has been on the pro? Does anyone know this.
With the pro you rarely heard of a damaged bulkhead and there has been hundreds running with stronger after market a arms.
So the thought of damaging the bulkhead with stronger a arms has not become a reality from what I have seen or experienced.
On my IQ sleds I used to replace 3-4 arms a season, and with my 11 pro that had the same style arm I replaced 2 before putting on a set of Z Brozs. That same set of Zboz I have moved to my new sled each year up till 2014 sled and am still running them this year. They are still straight after 4 years of 50+ days a year on them.
I have a new set going on the axys and I will take my chances with the bulkhead.

C
Dec 24, 2014
There are single arms out there. I have several new takeoffs. R, L, upper and lower.

Only 1 when I was looking and at $175 for a used or take off I will just buy a new one for $20 more. For me a used part is worth more like half but, the market for these could be stronger...

Good luck selling yours.

C
Dec 24, 2014

This is why I can't figure how Alt Impact arms haven't completely stolen the market... Designing in an easy, trail repairable, cheap shear point is brilliant.

I suspect the bulkhead is just as durable as the old Pro. I think the spindle is the next weak point after the lower a-arm.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
This is why I can't figure how Alt Impact arms haven't completely stolen the market... Designing in an easy, trail repairable, cheap shear point is brilliant.

I suspect the bulkhead is just as durable as the old Pro. I think the spindle is the next weak point after the lower a-arm.

There really isn't any other setup worth buying?
I'm thinking the shear able upper and lower ball joints will keep spindles in one piece also.

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I really don't think the aftermarket A-Arms are a huge percentage stronger than the factory A-Arms. Just enough that they don't bend when they shouldn't. If that is enough to break a bulkhead then there will be a lot of broken bulkheads anyway. Polaris is going to have some serious issues if a lot of broken bulkheads start appearing.........

The force of impact is certainly transferred from the ski through the arms and their multiple mounting positions (although not always equally) however it isn't wholly absorbed by just the bulkhead. This being said I wouldn't be surprised to see bulkhead braces showing up from the aftermarket if there does end up being a surge of broken bulkheads........

In the likelihood bulkheads are breaking, it's not going to be polaris' problem. In those cases it becomes the problem of anyone who isn't carrying collision.

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007

I agree about the AI arms. Thing is I've been running Zbros for a long time, they've kept me happy. IF I happen to incur major damage to my bulkhead or spindles as a result of an impact that may have benefitted AI's breakaway design, then I'll make the switch on my ins companies dime :)

Premium Features