• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Garmin Rino 650?? Who has one? Do you like?

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello goin to get my first Sledding GPS and am interested in the New Garmin Rino 650 prices on ebay and walmart.com are real resonable considering what they are on Cabelas and Garmin site.

What do you guys think of this Unit and how many have like or dislike about this Unit??

Thanks, Wildcard

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Love them. Everyone in our group has them although we use them 10 times as much for a radio than a GPS. I'm actually surprised how little I use the gps. I have a ton of posts about them and there's a thread going in the electronics forum now. I have 5 of them. Two are going back to the mfg soon as they aren't working. They are 2 seasons old, not the most reliable piece of equipment but I still highly recommend them.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
It's very nice. Check Craigslist as well. I found one last year just before Christmas, brand new in box, for about 175 less than the cheapest price I could find locally. It took a little time to learn all the functions but the radio and maps are great. One question I still have is relating to tracking other group riders. It seems like it doesn't tracking real time, only if they report location. Could be just how it is. Found the texting feature very helpful last year 1x. In a valley and around the corner, tracking didnt pick up but text did.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Great tool, several of the guys in our group have them and needless to say they have paid for themselves on a few occasions!!!!

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello guys thanks for the replies makes me even more interested, pretty sure this is the Unit I will get. does it come with an sd card?

The 655t looks like a good unit to but the price difference is alot between the two units and I really don`t care to have a camera on a talkradio or gps. we all pretty much have digital camera and one or multiple Go Pros on out bodies or sleds, I get a bunch of vids and pic every ride probably to much but I like pics and vids I think I bore my wife with the excitement of stuff I got on my vids after a ride.LOl

Question on the Topo maps, as I understand the 650 comes with Topo 100 maps which I really am not familiar with just always read about and had reps at cabellas etc tell me about it sounds pretty cool, I was curious about the Topo 24k maps I hear about. Do you purchase this as a complete map set up or do you have to purchase by state or certain riding areas?

I only ride currently in about 2 or 3 areas here in Id and WA and would like very detailed trail mapls and terrain description of those areas if they are even avaliable.

Where do you all think is the best place and most reasonable price to purchase on?? I have been watchin a couple on ebay (buy it now) I don`t really like the auction process.

Thanks Again, Wildcard

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
forget the topo maps. . ..pay 30 bucks and get your birdseye subscription and download satellite images for wherever your gonna ride, that's the only way to go in my opinion. . and the camera is not worth the extra dollars. . . .I love mine and use the heck outta it. . .just used it last weekend at Haydays to mark waypoints for all the stuff I was interested in but didn't buy on the spot so I could find my way back to it. . .. usually to find that I shoulda bought it on the spot as it was already sold . . .

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Get a 650. The 610 has less power and battery life. Use your Go Pro and phone for a camera. Buy the 24K maps. They are worth it. What price are you seeing?

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
garmin

great thread! i had been looking to get a 655t. even bought one on ebay but got shafted by the seller. the 650 looks to be the way to go. no need for another camera and either get the topos you need or get the sat. images. coolest feature is the lithium ion rechargeable battery. it's a huge advantage to be able to leave the unit on with the "breadcrumb" feature to retrace your steps if you're in unfamiliar areas.

jeff

Last edited:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Get a 650. The 610 has less power and battery life. Use your Go Pro and phone for a camera. Buy the 24K maps. They are worth it. What price are you seeing?

Been watchin a couple on Ebay for $379, Anyone know where to get a better price?? Man they want that price or not much less for a couple 530`s

Local pawn shop has a couple Garmin 62 and 62cs for sale for $299 but thats crazy pawn shop prices ya know..

Also thinkin of getting a 120 for the wife for the communication and she can see mostly where I am don`t see her doin alot of off trail maneuvers any time soon. she would have a hard time gettin her sled unstuck so she wouldn`t be interested in getting much off the trail as little amount of times she would get out with us.

Wish I could get my riding buddy to purchase a rino he has a handheld gps but doesn`t carry it with us sledding, I have alway brang a couple descent talk radio`s with us and those have been handy and got us both out of trouble a few times.

Wildcard

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I just checked Sportco in Fife. They are selling them for about $440. They have a pretty low margin so if you can find them for $380 I think that's a good deal. I have never done the Birdseye deal. Does it show up as a picture with roads highlighted on it? Winter scene or is it all green summer?

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Rino 650

Guys I can get these through one of my sources. As someone on here said the margins on these are really bad, and you may be able to get them for a few dollars less, but I can sell them to you for 435.00 plus what ever shipping actually cost me. I can ship UPS and would only charge exact cost.
These are new not refurb or anything like that.
And no I can't sell you 10 of them for less cause I am only trying to make about 10.00 for my efforts. Can take Credit cards.
Canadian folks would have to pay the shipping and any GST.
So if I can help let me know.
Can get the other models also and other FRS radios and Motorola MURS radios,
Thanks John
PM me with Questions

Premium Features