• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 rebuild and reliability???

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
wondering what everyone thinks about the 850 reliability? I have been watching the Polaris Pro for the last couple years and several people talk about having to freshen up the motor every 1500 miles. I'm sure here on the skidoo forum there will be plenty of bashing. What's everybody's take on the new 850 motor and other reliability or maintenance issues. I come from a long run of arctic cats where I could put 5000 or 6000 miles on the motor and never think about taking the top end off. The thought of having to freshen up the motor after each season is a big turn off regardless of the manufacture. Every sled has issues and I know that. It looks like the skidoo 850 and the polaris pro axys are pretty comparable sleds all around. if there was a decent arctic cat dealer near me I may consider buying a new cat.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Usually the doo's have been good, at 3000 miles I look at them and make a decision if it may need a top end. Seen a few go as high as 6000 miles without anything.
At that point I would do the bottom as well.

My expectations are the 850 will be as good or better.

Maybe some of the Rental fleet guys can chime in on what they see.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
My 17’ went 2,000mi and let loose. PTO side rod windowed the block. Took four months to get it fixed under warranty. There were two other motor failures in our group at under 2,000mi. And another that didn’t make it through the season due to electrical harness issues and back ordered parts.

I am not aware of a single 850 between S Oregon NW WA and revy that has made it over 2,000mi ridden hard without an incedent. And the lack of parts from ski Doo and down time is pathetic. Oh and the tracks delaminate at 2k mi also and will not be covered under warranty.

But then I got a 175 and kept the 165 as a spare. So yah I have a real sled crack problem they are that fun to ride but you better have a spare sled , a case of belts, and exon Valdez size oil supply.

Last edited:
T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I too lost a motor at 900 km. and I'm seeing signs of track delam at the rod ends at 1300 km. and it doesn't look like Doo is willing to do anything about it. I'm an X Cat guy and at this time I don't trust the motor.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
My 17’ went 2,000mi and let loose. PTO side rod windowed the block. Took four months to get it fixed under warranty. There were two other motor failures in our group at under 2,000mi. And another that didn’t make it through the season due to electrical harness issues and back ordered parts.

I am not aware of a single 850 between S Oregon NW WA and revy that has made it over 2,000mi ridden hard without an incedent. And the lack of parts from ski Doo and down time is pathetic. Oh and the tracks delaminate at 2k mi also and will not be covered under warranty.

But then I got a 175 and kept the 165 as a spare. So yah I have a real sled crack problem they are that fun to ride but you better have a spare sled , a case of belts, and exon Valdez size oil supply.

Ha! You ride f'ing hard dude. In fairness, would any brand hold up better to the beating you deliver?

I've had great reliability and no belt issues, but I baby mine in comparison. For my type of use, I wouldn't expect more than 4k miles from a Doo engine, riding mostly in the mountains.

Premium Features