• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultimax xs belt less rpm, how to adjust?

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
So I swapped out the junky gates belt with a ultimax; however I lost about 250
Rpms.. 8100 is most I can get and I was about 8350 before.. what can I adjust or change to get the rpms higher?

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Drive to the manufacturer tell them that the belt is junky and demand a refund.

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
What is needed here to gain rpm and not have belt issues is knowledge. which has been explained to you several times by several people. what you do with that knowledge is up to you.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I am guessing that with the ultimax you had to tighten up your secondary substantially (tried one before) in order to get the deflection right. Provided the belt is the same width (?) this means it is a little longer and will result in what I like to call long belt syndrome. You may need to drop your primary weight a couple grams and possibly run a couple degree shallower helix than what you are presently running in an effort to get things back on track. Instead of jumping through all these re-clutching hoops why not just run the stock belt or the proper C Gates belt. I have three years of riding on the C Gates belt (approx. 6,000 miles) and get zero belt fade and outstanding power delivery. I do have to scuff up my sheave faces a little more often than normal (very hard compound) in an effort to keep things on track, but other than that I have no complaints. The stock 1183 works quite well but heat fade in springtime 50 degree weather is a problem. I just came off of a two day ride in the Rubies in big snow and possibly 55 degree air temps, made some nasty nasty long climbs and the carbon gates worked flawlessly, couldn't have been happier, very possibly the most fun I've had all season. Once you get your offset right they're awesome.

Last edited:

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
What is needed here to gain rpm and not have belt issues is knowledge. which has been explained to you several times by several people. what you do with that knowledge is up to you.

Sooo intelligent you are. Why would anyone bother to ask questions with someone as smart as you around?

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Yep... pull weight or make primary spring firmer on finishing-force.

Did you re set your deflection when you changed belt... and re check it after running?

Okay makes sense. Ya I set deflection and checked it through day and heat cycles.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
I am guessing that with the ultimax you had to tighten up your secondary substantially (tried one before) in order to get the deflection right. Provided the belt is the same width (?) this means it is a little longer and will result in what I like to call long belt syndrome. You may need to drop your primary weight a couple grams and possibly run a couple degree shallower helix than what you are presently running in an effort to get things back on track. Instead of jumping through all these re-clutching hoops why not just run the stock belt or the proper C Gates belt. I have three years of riding on the C Gates belt (approx. 6,000 miles) and get zero belt fade and outstanding power delivery. I do have to scuff up my sheave faces a little more often than normal (very hard compound) in an effort to keep things on track, but other than that I have no complaints. The stock 1183 works quite well but heat fade in springtime 50 degree weather is a problem. I just came off of a two day ride in the Rubies in big snow and possibly 55 degree air temps, made some nasty nasty long climbs and the carbon gates worked flawlessly, couldn't have been happier, very possibly the most fun I've had all season. Once you get your offset right they're awesome.

Good info, thnx.. i most likely will run polaris belt and use it at backup. I just wasnt impressed with the belt chunking apart. I get what ur saying about the offset though.

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Sooo intelligent you are. Why would anyone bother to ask questions with someone as smart as you around?

Yes very intelligent i is !

Belt issues and more belt issues and now a rpm fade issue. Must be a belt issue with all the belt companies.

Have you checked anything that has been suggested ?????

-check clutch offset
-checked motor mounts, how many miles on mounts ?
-installed new primary spring, how many miles on spring ?
-install new secondary spring, how many miles on spring?
-checked weights
-checked pins
-checked rollers
-checked cover bushing
-pulled secondary apart for cleaning and inspect rollers
-cleaned and scotch brite clutch surfaces
-rebuild your clutches, how many miles on clutches ?

Or just try another belt and come on snowest and tell everyone how "junky" the belt is, and how do i gain back the rpm i lost when i installed this new belt.

A man has to know his limitations, might be time for a new sled !

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
You are a troll.. its a new sled, so nope, dont need to check on those.. my polaris belt hits 8300 rpms just fine..

Ive had one junky belt so i could give 2 ****s if u love the belts or not, it failed on mine as it has on many others.

I merely asked what needed to be done with this belt given the loss of rpm because I didnt know.. THATS WHAT THIS FORUM IS FOR IS TO ASK QUESTIONS WHEN U DONT KNOWWWWWWWW...

Its beem answered so I will get the weights/springs needed and if I choose to run this belt as the primary I will make adjustments..

Now go play smart guy elsewhere.

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Im glad you have it figured out. Not sure what the troll reference is but ill take it as a compliment. glad i could help

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Explain me this. Every sled in this picture runs Gates belts. 5 are turbos. The orange one in front, (stock) gets rode so hard it goes through motors faster than belts. The others get rode just as hard. They all run better than average. If Gates is junk, why does everyone of these guys choose Gates. Why do the belts on their sleds last and yours doesn't. Oh by the way, these guys are all performance junkies, and test everything under the sun. EVERYTHING

Serious question.

y4mQAU_yQyABOe3oGmD_ObkVc7S25sMizbQUo_KrrGEsCwWDqtDbc3y7yaWZanwyWIEqXoMG99hWJGUDJ9oYD_pzUPPx9ooMIFahQZ4ens7Ks7B-tGrw0epMO2scV3KJp85pgtDEKr2E01gXM694C36QyRrVD1JCxMC5NocFcoOJ54lGMoG6Nc-aDgbJ1WSUym4Io7-Lx5U982R95jk7bwrdw

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Explain me this. Every sled in this picture runs Gates belts. 5 are turbos. The orange one in front, (stock) gets rode so hard it goes through motors faster than belts. The others get rode just as hard. They all run better than average. If Gates is junk, why does everyone of these guys choose Gates. Why do the belts on their sleds last and yours doesn't. Oh by the way, these guys are all performance junkies, and test everything under the sun. EVERYTHING

Serious question.

y4mQAU_yQyABOe3oGmD_ObkVc7S25sMizbQUo_KrrGEsCwWDqtDbc3y7yaWZanwyWIEqXoMG99hWJGUDJ9oYD_pzUPPx9ooMIFahQZ4ens7Ks7B-tGrw0epMO2scV3KJp85pgtDEKr2E01gXM694C36QyRrVD1JCxMC5NocFcoOJ54lGMoG6Nc-aDgbJ1WSUym4Io7-Lx5U982R95jk7bwrdw
They run gates because they are cheapasses. The belts last because the ride like possies. The sleds are trailer queens no doubt. I mean, even the snowblower is waxed and polished ffs. There's no way this crew hits anything hard except for Mcdonalds.
Now post a vid of these snow gods in action. Sw will judge if these superheros ride hard. Peace.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features