• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

154, 165, or 175?

Which length?

Votes: 115 25.8%

Votes: 215 48.3%

Votes: 115 25.8%

• Total voters

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
175 for me this year! Rode a 163x3 Axys the last couple of years and it was fun, but now we are fighting into untouched areas more and more with untouched deep powder 80% of the time (at least last year) so hoping the G4 175 will help me keep up. Still in the XL category myself so the extra flotation is nice...

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
I put 860 miles on my 154x3 gen 4 last year and came off a 15 163x3 xm and can honestly say I'm glad I didn't get the longer sled. I was able to keep up and beat most of guys in my group that ride axys 162 and the only one that could beat up on me is the ones running sidekicks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
How much do you Weigh? That makes a big difference on how much fun a 154 is to ride...

It really depends on your terrain & ridding partner! I like my 174 cause my kid can follow my tracks & usually doesn't have to worry about a ditch I've dug. I'll be getting a 175 when I upgrade...... I'm close to 280 RTR

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Most guys around here (North East Coast) go with 144/146, and then 154/155s. We can get some pretty deep snow, but we don't have the long hill climbs you guys out west have.

Although, I do know of a riding group that consists mostly of 163s and a couple 174s as well..

Its funny how guys say the 163 takes the fun out of it, when they are riding a 154... It just seems so 'oxymoron' to me. Both lengths are practically buses. haha.

It seems there is always a part of your mind saying "go shorter, its more fun" but I guess that's our generation.. I'd say at some point we all came from 137x1.75 sleds.. and now we have that "back in my day" effect where everyone is crazy to need any longer than 144 or 154.. And then the young guys with huge ego will say "I don't need a 163 or 174, I can do it on a 154..." No offence to anyone guys, just a general statement. I'm guilty of it.

Personally I think the 163 is where its at. I'm about 180lbs. I'm a decent rider and I love not getting stuck! :face-icon-small-hap

My end plan is to have 2 sleds. 146 for trail and just playing around and a 163 for the deep days/tree riding. :face-icon-small-coo

WanderUtah

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2016
Park City, UT
For the light, deep utah powder in which we ride, at 9-10k elevation, only the lightest riders in our groups have a 154. Most have a 163/165. The 163/165 feel like they have more power, the extra lug in the snow helps put it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D
Mar 13, 2014
I live in Utah and have spent the last 3 years on a 163. I weigh 240, checked a 175. My bro has a 154 and I have been on it a number of times, the biggest complaint I had was sidehilling and having it wash out on me.

O

oredigger

Nov 28, 2007
Troy, MT
Live in Northwest Montana. Trying to decide to go with the 165 or 175. Coming off the 163 xm and love it; still undecided for the 2018 ride.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Depends where you ride, how you ride and in what conditions you like to ride. It's pretty simple...steeper and deeper require longer tracks.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
175 IS A GRANDPA SLED THE NEXT THING AFTER THAT IS A SCANDIC SUPER WIDE, JUST NOT QUITE READY TO GIVE UP ON THE SPORTY FEEL AND THE NEED TO BE A BIT MORE AGGRESSIVE JUST FOR THE GRANDPA RIDE. BUT EACH TO THEIR OWN. WILL A 175 OUT CLIMB A 154 ABSOLUTELY WILL IT BE AS MUCH FUN ABSOLUTELY NOT. LIKE COMPARING A BUSS TO A LAMBORGINI.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
175 IS A GRANDPA SLED THE NEXT THING AFTER THAT IS A SCANDIC SUPER WIDE, JUST NOT QUITE READY TO GIVE UP ON THE SPORTY FEEL AND THE NEED TO BE A BIT MORE AGGRESSIVE JUST FOR THE GRANDPA RIDE. BUT EACH TO THEIR OWN. WILL A 175 OUT CLIMB A 154 ABSOLUTELY WILL IT BE AS MUCH FUN ABSOLUTELY NOT. LIKE COMPARING A BUSS TO A LAMBORGINI.

Number 11 grandkid was born yesterday, guess that's why I ordered the 175. It's apparent you feel strongly about the subject, but no need to yell. If you live long enough and are healthy enough to still be riding maybe someday you'll ride a 175 too. Either that or a Scandic...

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
A Bus and a Lambo????? Really

Maybe an extended cab 3500 and a short box 1500......but a Lambo and a Bus....No Way Dude!

Just Sayin......

Later

+1 but even that comparison is too different. Short bed 1500 vs. long bed 1500 would seem a closer analogy. After all, we are talking about the exact same chassis and just a few inches longer rails and track. Are there subtle differences? Yes, but not the vast, huge, wild differences that these threads always seem to indicate and the hand wringing worry of "did I buy the right track length?".

Subtle differences. Get the one that seems reasonable for your weight, riding style, terrein and typical snow conditions. Even then you'll have riding days where a longer or shorter track would work subtly better as the snow conditions change. But I'm guessing most will still be having fun on the machine you are on that day. Ha.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Number 11 grandkid was born yesterday, guess that's why I ordered the 175. It's apparent you feel strongly about the subject, but no need to yell. If you live long enough and are healthy enough to still be riding maybe someday you'll ride a 175 too. Either that or a Scandic...
First of all Congratulation on the new Grandkid -- they are a lot of fun.

Now I did not mean to yell -- sorry if I came across that way.

Maybe someday I will ride a grandpa sled, but then again them things are getting lighter and so much better handling they will keep us all riding longer as long as we can stay healthy -- I am with you there. That shot start system will help us out there I sure like that Idea. Now I hope you guys can forgive me on the Bus thing :face-icon-small-hap How about I downgrade it to a Diesel dually and a Short box sport truck. That is actually a darn good comparison,but sometimes you have to just go a bit over the top to make a point.

Next time I make sure the cap lock is of when I go on a rant. That made it look to serious for sure. I mean what I say but all in good fun as well Cheers.......

Last edited:
D
Mar 13, 2014
First of all Congratulation on the new Grandkid -- they are a lot of fun.

Now I did not mean to yell -- sorry if I came across that way.

Maybe someday I will ride a grandpa sled, but then again them things are getting lighter and so much better handling they will keep us all riding longer as long as we can stay healthy -- I am with you there. That shot start system will help us out there I sure like that Idea. Now I hope you guys can forgive me on the Bus thing :face-icon-small-hap How about I downgrade it to a Diesel dually and a Short box sport truck. That is actually a darn good comparison,but sometimes you have to just go a bit over the top to make a point.

Next time I make sure the cap lock is of when I go on a rant. That made it look to serious for sure. I mean what I say but all in good fun as well Cheers.......

What sled do you ride, and have you been on a Gen4 Ski Doo?

I am coming from a 2015 Ski Doo 163. Had a chance to ride a 850 165 and a 154 several times last year. The 165 was about 25% easier to turn than my 163 and my 163 was never a problem. The 154 felt to light and it would wash out on me on side hills etc. This is how I landed on the 175 myself. I am 250 pounds and to me the only good days riding are deep days, if it isn't like that I would rather be home with my kids.

Last edited:
P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I have a 850 with 154 by 2.5 with Elka shocks - clutched geared -Ti can - mesh hood - Zbross rear link etc -- dialled pretty good. And a Stock one 154 with the 3" track e start and just clutched for the Mrs. I am about 250 all Gear and avy pack. The most aggressive rider in our group has the 165 by 3" and so far we are pretty much even on anything we do from Trees to high marking. Except mine is way faster:face-icon-small-coo He does have about an extra 50 pounds over me between him and sled weight. In our riding group there are 6 850 a few XM one is a 174 some old boosted Yamies come out sometimes and a handful of pro and axis sleds for comparison. Clutched and geared right the 154 are wicked fast and maintain superb track speed in the pow. This is how it can compete with big tracks - Finesse instead of a big hammer.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
It is a question with no answer. Like would you rather ride a blond, brunette, or redhead? If you ride a small amount every year, choose your favorite one. If you work all summer to ride all winter, then you have to have one of each in the stable. The 174/175 Doos are amazing rigs, anyone who has anything bad to say about them should ride one in bottomless snow before saying anything. I have had mine stuck going downhill multiple times. But then we get real snow here......;)

Premium Features