• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 piston issue

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
So having some problems with my 2015. This sled has been a freight train since i got it. Much stronger than most imo.

But all of a sudden it took out 2 sets of plugs within a short period. Sled has 1600 miles.

Decided to pull top end after seeing some scoring on the pto side piston through the exhaust port. At first i figured i just cold seized it, but upon further inspection there is a single distinct score line in one place only. Approx 1/64" deep by eye, 2 chipped rings in line with the score line and a raised edge on the top edge of the piston.

Anyone seen this before? Im thinking power valve came in contact with the piston. Thoughts?

Trying to upload pics.

Last edited:

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Here are my pics
dee9159e26e2499161b34278f3b107dd.jpg
a56f17d0f0124dcaf9756256044f13df.jpg
5a3a92165edb9e596eb92fb99ccbb560.jpg
cce7802ca763eaff78a21231abc51c1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
looks like a valve hit it to me. you can grind just a bit off the edges of the valves to prevent this. Look and the jug at the valve hole. the valve has a "stop" flat surface and some have had the stop wear into the jug letting the valve sink in too far.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
its a common thing that I believe goes mostly unnoticed on cats. lots of threads on it if you google power valve hitting piston cat 800. hopefully the ctec improved the design.
I took the Dremel to my 17 before day one, and try to keep an eye on them, my pistons have marks last time I looked but not grooves yet.
I believe it goes unnoticed because it doesn't really get into the rings. sled still runs pretty good like that for years.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Yep. That is from the powervalve. I had this happen to both pistons on my turbo. Caught it early though. I removed a decent amount of metal from the powervalve and even on a sensitive to the low end turbo, I did not notice any difference in how it ran. Can certainly turn into a big problem...so good catch.
attachment.php

PTO scuff.jpg

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
So having some problems with my 2015. This sled has been a freight train since i got it. Much stronger than most imo.

But all of a sudden it took out 2 sets of plugs within a short period. Sled has 1600 miles.

Decided to pull top end after seeing some scoring on the pto side piston through the exhaust port. At first i figured i just cold seized it, but upon further inspection there is a single distinct score line in one place only. Approx 1/64" deep by eye, 2 chipped rings in line with the score line and a raised edge on the top edge of the piston.

Anyone seen this before? Im thinking power valve came in contact with the piston. Thoughts?

Trying to upload pics.

So I read your post the other day, heading to the mountains in a 9 days, we actually have snow here to ride a little, clean the clutches and take 2 m8000 for a test run, mine is a 14 with 1800 miles, I notice that its not pulling rpm like it should have 9000 weights and above at 1000 ft, normally jumps past 8200 with 3/4 throttle, I take my sons out his rips, pulls skis up, now I know something is wrong. It did flutter or make a different sound when I gave a burst of throttle for a sec going up a bank of snow. My question is did the motor sound different or make a noise? I have the sled parked in a storage in trailer, as luck would have it we got an actual blizzard last night so not sure if I can even get to it to pull the exhaust. I am guessing if this is the issue I will need a cylinder and pistons,

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
its a common thing that I believe goes mostly unnoticed on cats. lots of threads on it if you google power valve hitting piston cat 800. hopefully the ctec improved the design.
I took the Dremel to my 17 before day one, and try to keep an eye on them, my pistons have marks last time I looked but not grooves yet.
I believe it goes unnoticed because it doesn't really get into the rings. sled still runs pretty good like that for years.

How much do you take off and is it just the corners? thanks

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
So I read your post the other day, heading to the mountains in a 9 days, we actually have snow here to ride a little, clean the clutches and take 2 m8000 for a test run, mine is a 14 with 1800 miles, I notice that its not pulling rpm like it should have 9000 weights and above at 1000 ft, normally jumps past 8200 with 3/4 throttle, I take my sons out his rips, pulls skis up, now I know something is wrong. It did flutter or make a different sound when I gave a burst of throttle for a sec going up a bank of snow. My question is did the motor sound different or make a noise? I have the sled parked in a storage in trailer, as luck would have it we got an actual blizzard last night so not sure if I can even get to it to pull the exhaust. I am guessing if this is the issue I will need a cylinder and pistons,
I decided to look at it because it started to take out plugs regularly. The thing still ran strong but it seemed to have a flutter or minor stumble past its regular cleanout after idle.

I will tell you though the sled is much stronger now after a fresh topend.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
14 800

Do not think I have the issue,I did have one spark plug that was finger tight or less than finger tight, last year sled got seriously flooded on a cold morning ended up putting one or the only plug you can with pulling the hood, that is the one that was loose. Both cylinders have 138 lbs of compression. Here are a few pics, there is one score line but I think that is from carbon build up, Piston does not appear to be deformed or damage from valve.

20190224_144543.jpg 20190224_144549.jpg 20190224_144626.jpg

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Do not think I have the issue,I did have one spark plug that was finger tight or less than finger tight, last year sled got seriously flooded on a cold morning ended up putting one or the only plug you can with pulling the hood, that is the one that was loose. Both cylinders have 138 lbs of compression. Here are a few pics, there is one score line but I think that is from carbon build up, Piston does not appear to be deformed or damage from valve.
I'm not entirely sure what would cause a center score on the Piston like that. That's most likely from something going through the engine. Electrode of spark plug something coming in through the air Box Etc. But you have a serious amount of blow-by on those pistons. Typically caused from deformation or the Rings not seated two cylinders properly. If you look back at the pictures of my Pistons I have no discoloration below the Rings like on yours

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
every lay down motor I have had has the same blow by, 700, 1000, this 800 looks very similar to those, I have had a m7 that had carbon build up that scratched the side or face of the piston.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
How much do you take off and is it just the corners? thanks

much as you feel comfortable, I basically smoothed the edge all way across. upper edge, or whichever one comes closest (been too long foggy memory) I thought I saw a mark like it rests on piston and thought no way should it be doing that. maybe that was on the second go round. when it was new I just did the sides where everyone gets that dig in eventually. maybe using an extra gasket would help. im no expert, still kinda new to these. your pistons look good to me from that angle.

Premium Features