• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

13 HCR motor removal?

C
Mar 22, 2018
Maine
Working on a buddies sled that had the clutch side piston skirt come apart in many tiny pieces, from what I've been reading this could be cause by a bad seal on the air box. What is the best way to clean the lower end out, pull the rest of the motor? Also wondering how long it takes to pull the rest as I haven't completely pulled one before.

C
Apr 29, 2009
REALLY , REALLY should pull motor and at the least, strip down to bare bottom end and flush the lower case/crank assembly. rotate crank and feel for smoothness of crank bearings. I have done this method of flushing the lower case assemble with gas and holding the case upside down while someone spins the crank. I have had a few motors cleaned this way and have lasted for hundreds of hundreds of miles afterwards, but you are really taking a small chance you missed a small piece of metal and will ruin a crank bearing as soon as you try running the motor again. If it was my personnel sled I would do a total tare down and pull the crank to do a real good job at flushing all the bearings.

Premium Features