• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 Summit X 670, Narrowing the stance?

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
I bought my wife a few years back a 99 Summit X 670. She loves the power of the sled (it's not your normal 670:cool: ) but she has had a hard time adjusting to the sled. Main thing is she cant get the sled to lay over to steer it. She is a rather good rider as well. She is used to riding the older XLT's and other Polaris models. Well she rode her uncles XLT this weekend and she says it just seams so much easier to maneuver in the powder but doesn't have near the power. Well after thinking on it a while I broke out a measuring tape and the XLT is about 3" narrower than her summit, outside to outside edges of the ski's.

This is what I had in mind. The front control arms ( I think thats what they are called, but would be in the same place as say a lower A-Arm on that type of sled) are mounted in the top hole and there is a lower hole. I am going to try putting them in the lower hole to see what happens. I also thought about adjusting the Simmons skis on it as there is 1, 1/2" spacer on each side of the mount to center them in the cradle. What if I was to take the outside spacer and put it next to the inside spacer, thus moving the stem to the outer edge of the cradle thus moving the skis inward each an additional 1/2"? Would that work?

Open to any other suggestions as well.

S
Dec 3, 2007
columbus mt
I was thinking..... hard to carve versus a xlt????? The problem is the simmons.... they take a lot to get them on the side but once your there it is fine.... ok I weigh 200 so for me its easy. I also have simmons on my x and don't like them for every type of terrain and situation. I like the single skag ski. they are easier to pull over and carve.

simmons are the problem.
jon

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I can't say about the skis but as I recall the Summit had one of the narrowest stances around. I've heard that removing the sway bar helps a lot. I was going to do that but then I bought a Cat. I still have the X as a family and backup sled so I still plan to remove the bar - just haven't decided whether to cut it out or try to save it in one piece in case the trail manners suffer too much.

X
Dec 26, 2007
Prince George
specialty sled makes a nice seat that will raise her height up like the rev combined with some handle bar risers. But this year of summit was the easiest sled to lay over, most people complained of it not being stable enough. I would have to say the simmon skis is her problem.

Last edited:
S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Sometimes you can never win LOL. I put the Simmons on it in the middle of the season last year because with the stock ski's it darted so bad on the trails it would about throw her off. She is pretty small. I tried about every suspension set up possible on that sled and it got allot better but could never totally get rid of it. The Simmons were a dream come true for fixing that.

The thing is, I remember very well that when we bought the sled the guy said he had it set up in the wide stance to make it more stable for the hill-shoot racing he was doing with it. The only thing I can see to change is that mounting position on the lower arms.

The other thing that bothers me is this sled has a 136" finger track with 2.25" fingers. I seriously wonder at times about what that track does to this sled and it is a rather rough riding little bugger. I have a spare 136" M10 skid I could put under it and keep the finger track on it or I also recently acquired a 144" Holz Skid with big wheel kit and 144" Polaris series IV track I could put under it.

X-it, Do you happen to have any more info on that seat? I looked into a Boss for it but have been told they don't make one for it. The padding is pretty much wore out on the stock seat so thats something that it needs anyway.

X
Dec 26, 2007
Prince George
I had the 98x, i put 2002 ski-doo skis and spindels on it for my daughter so it would be more stable on the trials. However i have only rode it once in 5 years and i am not sure how they handle in the powder snow. There was no widening the ski stance for that year unless he bought a widening kit, however that options is available with the 2002 ski-doo spindle and skis. I could email you picture of that seat but i bet boss makes a seat for that year though.

Last edited:
W
Dec 19, 2007
I agree it si the skis....go get a set of take off skiis from some of the newere summits and put them in the narrow stance..... or better yet....put the floatation edge to the outside....She will still hate it though cuz then going down the roads and on the trail she wont be able to steer and it will dart.....Thus buy a set of center keel skiis......C and A...Powder Pros or what ever.....

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would keep the Simmons (for now) and first put the ski stance back to stock. You just need 4 staock radius rods and 2 tie-rods. Then you can adjust the Simmons spacer pucks to narrow it up another inch if needed, but I think with the stock 37" stance this is probably THE easiest to maneuver chassis ever made. The stance change will make a HUGE difference and the Simmons will be less darty and easier to control for her. Also, a little longer limiter strap will lighten the steering effort and also make it more nimble and easier to tip.:beer;

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Cant look at the sled at the moment, but can I detach the sway bar and let her try it and see if she likes it before tearing the sled apart to remove it? Just trying to be lazy LOL.

F
Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, WY
If it were me, I'd keep the finger track, inset the skis with the spacers, and get rid of the sway bar. The skis could be further inset with offset ski-legs. I guess that's what they're calling them (microfiche).

Hey Sako, what is the ski-stance on it? My 01' Summit X hmk is 37", and combine that with no swaybar and a 2 wheel kit, it is almost scary tippy, but alot of fun to ride! Oh, I also have an 8 inch bar riser and when my little sister rides it, thats the first thing she notices, more leverage.

S

Sako7STW

Nov 6, 2003
Evanston, WY
Update

Well today I finally got to work on her sled. I took the lower arms and mounted them in the lower holes. I then took the ski's and spaced them as i explained earlier. This made the sled overall 4" taller in the front (bottom of bumper to ground measurement) and 2.5" narrower to make it 37" outside to outside of the ski's. This also made the track sit much flatter on the ground as compared to before where the back 10-12" were off the ground. I think she is going to be surprised when she rides it how much difference this is going to make.

I rode it and it felt allot better to me but I weigh double what she does so I cant say how it will do for her. With the added traction, it will flat lift the skis off the ground and rip!

Premium Features