• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 162

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Yes, they do stagger up

c7a4594fa2d1099b3b878b5f0078bd78.jpg

But the lug is not 3" from the belt surface
90fa279d169239fb78aa01f936711bbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
hold your ruler parallel to the paddle, on the surface which hits the snow and propels the machine forward. i think thats how the industry has done it for decades now.

Hewhospends

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2012
Eatonville, WA
And the winner is....

I got the oppertunity yesterday to go riding in some of the best snow we have had in along time, with a new Axys 163x3, a Summit X 850 165x3, and a Mountain Cat 162x3. All of these sled were new, and not past break in. All are great performers, but one stood out to me. The mountain cat is by far the heaviest but feels the lightest. The dropped chain case makes it get on top the snow with ease, and the 8 tooth driver and gearing make it feel like the clutch engages from an idle and has more power than previou years. It will side hill for miles at any speed, and feels more nimble than the Axys. Tree riding on steep terrain will make you smile, it will out climb either of the other two, and will take you back to the trailer on a whooped out trail like a Cadillac! For those who think I'm being bias, the Summit X 850 in the group is mine...and it's for sale with hopes I can get my hands on a 17 Mountain Cat before the season is over.

Last edited:

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Did you change anything on the Mtn Cat from how it would come from the factory? Mainly interested in the shock pressures and how the factory skis were spaced.

Hewhospends

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Did you change anything on the Mtn Cat from how it would come from the factory? Mainly interested in the shock pressures and how the factory skis were spaced.

All three sled were bone stock. The MC skis were in the middle setting, and I think I would leave them there. Shocks were set up for 200-225lbs rider. The only change I would make, is a lower bar riser, a lite weight can, and maybe change the skis. This sled is extremely capable out of the box, and likes to be rode aggressively. But for anyone that has to have a new
Summit X 850, I have one for sale!

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
My dad has a '16 limited cat with a Speedwerx Stage 3 kit & 3x153 track

I have a '17 mtn cat with a can & 3x162 track.

Not even a close comparison between the 2 sleds in powder and climbing. The '17 will highmark the built '16 by 30 to 40 feet. Very happy with it so far. I have a stage 3 kit coming for the '17, can't wait to get it on and really see how much better it is.

killergiller

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
Northern CA
Was able to take mine out for a quick first trip and it blew my mind. I am a life long cat guy, and had a very capable modded 09 SnoPro. This sled makes all of the other years longing for an equal sled to the competition wait worth while in my opinion. Sadly, we long for more snow and only had enough cover for a trail and very light off trail (5 mins in a well known area) ride. Can't wait for more snow.

Out of the box I put a SLP stage two kit (intake sensor, ceramic pipe, can, and MTX weights) and it is a beast. at 6000' it has no prob even in break in pulling to 8100 RPM.

Enjoy them guys (generic) as this sled will truly make you smile!

Hurricane

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
I got one for xmas too, and the mid range and low end power is awesome? After the reviews from last year I was wondering but not anymore.
My buddy had a new belt driven Pro RMK 155 and it felt a lot lighter and easier to ride than my MC (Felt more like my old 440 limited race snopro) but not the same power of the MC. His had adjustable piggyback spring shocks which felt awesome. My MC seemed to be more of a point and shoot monster but maybe because of the 162 track? Snow conditions were not in MC favour only a couple ft or powder , I need to ride in 4 feet of powder where the MC should shine. I wasn't riding aggressive enough because I'm not used it and I'm so out of shape. I need to widen the skis and add a 2" riser in bars. Set up shocks, maybe add some air but adjust to a softer setting, if that is possible on the air shocks? Hope to get easier weight transfer first part of travel.I hope the fox floats can give more of a dual rate feel?
The skis seem to long from spindle to the tip ,which you can feel in the bars and they feel very ridged on the trail. I see the spindle mounts more in the middle of the ski on my Simmons skis which I have on my old mod M7. So there will be more ski under the belly pan with them. May try the Simmons to compare. The stock skis may just feel ridged because their so new too or I'm used to the feel of Simmons?
I am very very happy to get this sled and can't wait to ride it in epic snow because it's a winner for sure. Thanks again for the post and any help with set up is appreciated. I'm no expert so this is just my humble 2 cents .

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
My opinion on the shocks is run the pressure low in the main chamber. Mine are at 60 and deal with the soft ride on the trail. You can the run the evol chamber high around 120 and it keeps you from bottoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurricane

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
My manual says there is a dial with12 setting to adjust the 2017 MC dampening on the Fox shocks but I can't find one on the front shocks ? Does anyone on know if the different air pressures in the two chambers will affect dampening?

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
My manual says there is a dial with12 setting to adjust the 2017 MC dampening on the Fox shocks but I can't find one on the front shocks ? Does anyone on know if the different air pressures in the two chambers will affect dampening?

Only the rear shock has the dampening control

Premium Features