• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 Arctic Cat Mountain Cat 162

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Still waiting for the rest of my speedwerx stage 3 kit. I might just start riding it since I can't get an exact date on it

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
How are you guys liking the stock gearing on the 2017 Mountain Cat?

I just did the TKI belt drive with the drop and roll 2017 Mountain Cat chain case and Tom suggested I stay with the stock gearing of 2.63 ratio (25 x 66).

I ride a 2015 M8000 153" with the stock Cat 8 tooth drivers at 4-7,000 feet and I weight 175-180 without gear.

I am thinking of buying a 26 tooth upper to go with the 66 tooth lower for a 2.53 ratio. That just sounds right for my application.

Heck, if I got a 27 tooth upper, it would put me at a 2.44 ratio.

So, what are you guys that have ridden your 2017 Mountain Cat's think of the stock gearing?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
stock gears feel perfect to me.
the powder i was in yesterday i would not want anything less then this 162 3" claw.
wheres these guys with the 2.8 tracks?:face-icon-small-hap

B

Brutus

Nov 14, 2008
Helena MT
How are you guys liking the stock gearing on the 2017 Mountain Cat?

I just did the TKI belt drive with the drop and roll 2017 Mountain Cat chain case and Tom suggested I stay with the stock gearing of 2.63 ratio (25 x 66).

I ride a 2015 M8000 153" with the stock Cat 8 tooth drivers at 4-7,000 feet and I weight 175-180 without gear.

I am thinking of buying a 26 tooth upper to go with the 66 tooth lower for a 2.53 ratio. That just sounds right for my application.

Heck, if I got a 27 tooth upper, it would put me at a 2.44 ratio.

So, what are you guys that have ridden your 2017 Mountain Cat's think of the stock gearing?

I've got 55 miles on my 153 mtn cat. So far I am nothing but impressed with the sled. Clutching and gearing are pretty close in stock form. I'm going to run a gram or two less in the primary. At 5000 feet I am getting 8050 on the packed trail headed down hill. I get to 7000 ft and I can't pull those revs... Mid to hi 7s.

Gearing felt good but could be a little taller. I'll toss on a 20 tooth on top and replace the bottom stock aluminum 50 tooth with a steel one while I'm in there. That should be the trick.

These float evol shocks are bad a$$. Can't believe the improvement.

Hurricane

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
I'm a cat guy but saw the three inch track shoot out last year on youtube and the test riders didn't like the motor in the 2016 Cat , (low end/mid range) boondocking in trees, feathering the throttle. I'm due for a new sled but not sure this is it because if I get one you know for sure next years Cat will have a new Helium type bulk head and a C-tec 800 engine?
This years reviews are promising saying the Team clutches clean the Low & mid range issue up? My brother in law has one sitting in my garage to tease me, if I get one I'll put the 2.8 conquer track on (13 lbs lighter). Head light delete kit and some other goodies too. Thanks for the great thread "It ain't easy being green" but seems like that saying doesn't apply to this sled.Great info thanks

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I'm a cat guy but saw the three inch track shoot out last year on youtube and the test riders didn't like the motor in the 2016 Cat , (low end/mid range) boondocking in trees, feathering the throttle. I'm due for a new sled but not sure this is it because if I get one you know for sure next years Cat will have a new Helium type bulk head and a C-tec 800 engine?
This years reviews are promising saying the Team clutches clean the Low & mid range issue up? My brother in law has one sitting in my garage to tease me, if I get one I'll put the 2.8 conquer track on (13 lbs lighter). Head light delete kit and some other goodies too. Thanks for the great thread "It ain't easy being green" but seems like that saying doesn't apply to this sled.Great info thanks

The new 17 Cat sleds have the exact same clutches as the 16 sleds had, the Team clutches. They did not change anything on any of the components inside the clutches either. I had a 16 and now a basically stock 17 and there is a night and day difference between the two sleds. I don't have any means of going into an ECU and seeing what is inside there but like others have mentioned in other posts Cat had to of changed the programming in the 17 sleds. I also do know for a fact that Cat changed the intake a little on the 17 but I don't think it could of made that much of a difference on how the motor is performing on the bottom end and the midrange. The bottom end and midrange is very impressive on my Mtn Cat. I rode it around home first before I took it to the mountains and I couldn't believe how well it ran, but that was at 2500 feet here and I thought well lets see what it will do at 10000k. The sled did not disappoint me at elevation. This is the first sled that I have owned that I am actually thinking about leaving stock. I do have a Y-pipe, can, belt drive and a clutch kit on this sled and I think that is about all that I am going to do. I took a bunch of video the first day I had it in the mountains and I will see if I can get some of it to upload on here so everyone can see.

Why would you take a proven track off a sled and put the 2.8 track on other than saving some weight? The 3" PC is the best track out there and has proven itself time and time again. If you want to save some rotating weight which I think everyone is after cut your 3" track down to the equivalent of the 2.8 track and see how much rotating weight you save. It might not be 13 pounds but it will probably be in the same ballpark. Don't get me wrong if you are going to switch from an inferior track to the 2.8 by all means do it. Still Burandt is really the only one that has given a review on it......

Hurricane

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Thanks for the info, I was just thinking about the weight savings, my buddy got the 2.8 and told me it was 13 lbs lighter on his Pro RMK 163.
Looking forward to seeing videos and get some more info on setting them up and making them work even better. Like hearing about clutching. Wow awesome to hear they work so well stock. I've had a nightmare bog in my old mod ,my main reason I want to buy a new one.
Was wondering if they changed the ports etc on the 17's but your right , I remember reading the ECU map change on the 2010 and 2011 M8 was 1.5 or 2 sled lengths ahead on a drag race.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
the paddles on my PC measure 3" from the base of paddle to the top. no belt in there.
Im with ranger on the 2.8s. wheres all the rave reviews?

the reports from spring were that cat had fiddled with something on the primary clutch from 16-17. I have no clue, just what i read when i began sippin the catlaid last spring.

Mine still needs a little throttle to start sometimes or it will take a couple pulls and sorta gargles to life. and the over sensitive tss is kinda annoying, but minor things, they do run great when pushed hard, harder the better. the stock intake works great in the deep dry powder, i would hate to mess that up with a lightweight hood or too many vents.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
My 16 limited is the same way, sometimes it will fire first pull but if it doesn't then I grab a little throttle, getting too old to pull that rope 3-4 times:) and my tss is sensitive also, don't know if it has anything to do with my lefty or not. Need to get off my lazy butt and put my estart in, feel like a caveman pulling the rope...

They did some adjusting of the height of the spider in the primary to get rid of the box or rocks noise. Not sure exactly when they did that.

Last edited:

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
e0b3356d3c07c23f126671ddb4329894.jpg

093e4b72f6189f8829b26e51385c2ebf.jpg

This is my 3" in both pics.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Fingers

I wonder what it would be like if the fingers were as long as the paddles?
Wonder why cat had it made this way?

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
The paddles are the same height as the fingers. Measure the opposite side of the same paddle and you get 2.875 like I show above.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
fingers stagger up from like 2.6 to the paddle that is a full 3". i am thinking this is good for rolling sled on side.
are youguys who claim its 2.8 have a 17 mountain cat in front of you? maybe theres a difference? paddle might angle towards the back but its 3" long from base to top. like any other paddle track.

Last edited:
Premium Features