• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Half ton tires

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
'13 Ecoboost longbed max tow platinum package that is needing tires.

What you guys recommending for the snow and ice.

Truck sits in the garage due to myself having a work truck and momma has a jeep wrangler for work and groceries.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Got the same pickup. I'm putting Nitto Exo Grappler on mine. All terrain with the Mountain Snowflake rating.

I always go up to E load rating after I burn up the stock tires.

Anyways, look for AT tires with mountain snowflake.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
For winter's I have some Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2's that work very well. Studded tire (always best on ice), E-range...probably overkill for a half ton, but I haul/tow some pretty decent weight at times, and I like the beefier sidewalls for the bush. And I find the E-range wears nice and even...don't really care about the firmer ride. They are true winters and I have some other tires/rims for summers.

I have also done the "snowflake" rated AT's for winter (BFG's)....they are ok when new, but get pretty slick as they wear. The true winters are always better. If you are looking for an AT to run all year, pick whichever you like the look of that has the "snowflake" ...they're probably all about the same.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Winter vs AT is a miles from the goods thing for me.

I've got 200 miles of dry pavement before I hit snow.

B
Feb 19, 2008
Summit co.CO
Hankook iPike RW11. It's a great value studable dedicated snow tire. You'll still get good life out of it on a half ton.
I live in the mountains and have always ran an AT in the summer and put on snows on the winter.
I've got blizzaks on an suv which are also quality but they can get a little spendy if you have 20" tires plus the iPikes have very deep treads when new.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I don't intend to hijack this thread, but out of curiosity what is the best as far as longevity and price point for tires that can be used year round, but are obviously capable on snow? I presume I would be looking for what Overdrive was saying AT's with the snowflake? Any other recommended brands than the Nitto Exo Grapplers? I've basically got the same truck- F150 with 18" wheels

Last edited:
B
Feb 19, 2008
Summit co.CO
I don't intend to hijack this thread, but out of curiosity what is the best as far as longevity and price point for tires that can be used year round, but are obviously capable on snow? I presume I would be looking for what Overdrive was saying AT's with the snowflake? Any other recommended brands than the Nitto Exo Grapplers? I've basically got the same truck- F150 with 18" wheels

I buy almost all my tires at Discount Tire ( in Denver). They seem to have consistently fair prices.
I've ran cooper M+S, they are studable but I wouldn't feel ridiculous running them year round. They had pretty good tread life when I ran them on my old Chevy 1500 and they really are good in snow. My buddy ran them on his ram 2500 diesel and they definitely didn't hold up as well.

If you're talking about true AT's I think bfgoodrich AT or Goodyear Duratracs will go be you long tread life and be ok in the snow.
Duratracs are studable too and about 10-20% cheaper than BFG's( on discounts website). BFGs might last longer overall though.

Just my 2 cents...

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Winter vs AT is a miles from the goods thing for me.

I've got 200 miles of dry pavement before I hit snow.

Here in Central WYO, have 140-200 of ice on pavement before I hit snow. Gotta love the plains wind of Wyoming!

Looking at Goodyear Trailrunner or Durtac or BFG KO2. KO2 doesn’t have mileage warranty, but read very good reviews on that tire.

403kelvin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2012
Alberta
good wearing true wintrer tire

I have been running Firestone Winterforce, best price 18" winter tire I have found and have been very happy with both performance and tread wear.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
For winter's I have some Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT2's that work very well. Studded tire (always best on ice), E-range...probably overkill for a half ton, but I haul/tow some pretty decent weight at times, and I like the beefier sidewalls for the bush. And I find the E-range wears nice and even...don't really care about the firmer ride. They are true winters and I have some other tires/rims for summers.

I have also done the "snowflake" rated AT's for winter (BFG's)....they are ok when new, but get pretty slick as they wear. The true winters are always better. If you are looking for an AT to run all year, pick whichever you like the look of that has the "snowflake" ...they're probably all about the same.
How are your Hakkapellitas holding up? I took mine off at around 16,000 miles because they were as good as shot. 3/4 ton, towed 10k or so for 90% of that I bet. They were good on dry snow and when it was cold but I didnt think the traction was great when it was above freezing.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I've got a few thousand on Falken Wildpeak AT3W on my flatbed half ton. E rated, tall & skinny. They have a lot of siping, that runs full depth. Severe snow rated. 55k mileage warranty. They are working well for me: hauling 1500lbs firewood, off road (with slide in camper), long empty runs (WY to MN last week), long loaded runs (Moab and back with camper), ice up on WY-130 and on FS roads, etc. Quiet. Even wear. Not USA made though. They replaced the older BFG AT KO's.

20170928_131719.jpg 20170930_182247.jpg

Last edited:
B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Been running Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on my 13 eco.. have really enjoyed them... towed all over with them... close to 15k miles just towing my 3 placed steel enclosed and they have worn very well. Wouldn't hesitate to pick them up again. Had great luck with Nitto's in the past as well. Definitely help with trailer sway as they are a bit higher capacity rated than the Goodyear's I replaced.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
How are your Hakkapellitas holding up? I took mine off at around 16,000 miles because they were as good as shot. 3/4 ton, towed 10k or so for 90% of that I bet. They were good on dry snow and when it was cold but I didnt think the traction was great when it was above freezing.

Can't really comment on mileage sorry....didn't put on a lot of mileage last winter. When the temp is above freezing, something with a more open tread pattern could possibly be better. I would need about 4 different sets of tire for a year in a perfect world LOL

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Duratracs have been good for me. They're siped and it helps. Get 80k each set. More if I don't care how they "look". Noisy though if you get lazy on rotations. Probably my 4th or 5th set. These are 34's I think. 33's were a lot smoother.
4feab4c83094524cb27e7a0bac8dba13.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
eb9477c31e2f19597e5542b4c525960c.jpg

Premium Features