• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weight loss?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
So 408 lbs stock... Pretty impressive but where does the aftermarket go?

Can is an easy one, where else do you take weight off without going titanium and carbon fiber?

How light can you go with say $5k budget?

360lb, 160hp sled would be pretty neat!

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Slp claims 9hp and 13lbs for there pipe and can setup on the flatland 800ho.

And slp's goal is never to make the lightest can , seeing the can there's more weight there (titanium).

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Typical stuff, headlight delete, seat, shocks (FOX), then ti hardware. Then on to carbon, there goes the budget. I'm sure Burandt/Adams will go there, but then put a a Turbo on too.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Typical stuff, headlight delete, seat, shocks (FOX), then ti hardware. Then on to carbon, there goes the budget. I'm sure Burandt/Adams will go there, but then put a a Turbo on too.

Yeah but problem is those things are starting to get small gains.

Headlight delete is going to get you like 2lbs. Seat? 3-4lbs.. Shocks? 3-4lbs. Add in the pipe/can and you're at ~20-25lbs and $3k+

Aftermarket is going to struggle compared to years past when $3k meant 30+ lbs and a more functional sled(seat and headlight delete are not super functional for average riding).

I
Nov 26, 2007
Aftermarket is going to struggle compared to years past when $3k meant 30+ lbs and a more functional sled(seat and headlight delete are not super functional for average riding).

That's what everyone said when the pro came out. Now we have companies offering titanium cans and carbon fiber body parts.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
A 13 pound weight savings from SLP is more than the Pro muffler weighs.

OK, edit I see that is weight savings for the pipe and muffler.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Yeah but problem is those things are starting to get small gains.

Headlight delete is going to get you like 2lbs. Seat? 3-4lbs.. Shocks? 3-4lbs. Add in the pipe/can and you're at ~20-25lbs and $3k+

I agree but for comparison ,I had all this stuff on my 13 and it weighed in at 419 with oil and coolant. Sub 400 with axys in same condition will be interesting, add an engine stage kit of some kind that adds 10% power, it will be fun!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I still think a carbon fiber fuel tank with 2 less gallons is the ticket. Yeah, I'm cheating a little by reducing 2 gallons. but that's over 12 lbs riding weight! I never run out of fuel on the Pro. We usually ride for several hours and still have 1/4 or more fuel. I bet you can save 15 lbs here.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Is c3 still making a carbon fiber fuel tank for the pro?

The last time I talked to Kevin, he still had some Fuel tanks in stock but refused to sell them, citing a possible manufacturing process defect, and was unwilling to chance any bad press or liability exposure because of it. He eluded to, that he had invested heavily in a lot of new technology that would enable him to provide many new / high quality parts. With what little has been disclosed about the manufacturing of the Yeti; he now has a 5 axis milling machine, a autoclave for curing pre-preg carbon fiber, etc. So he now has the means to make his own molds on the mill and auto-clave the carbon Fiber parts. Which may well pay huge dividends in bring the price down and the quality up. If the projected retail price of the Yeti is any indication of that, I'm super stoked to see what he brings to market in the near future.

D
Nov 14, 2013
Motorcycle aftermarket companies are running are running into the same problems. The manufacturers are putting out such a unbelievable 'stock' machine that there are little gains to be had, especially on a budget. How do you improve on a stock silencer already made of titanium with the required 'cat' below the engine (speaking of motorcycles here?) Make it louder and sell it as closed course only? That will only work for so long.

The gains will become smaller and smaller as the machines get better and better. Luckily tailor fitting a sled or a bike to oneself will never go away, there will always be improvements in the looks department where manufacturers have to keep costs down. There will always be companies offering more affordable disposable parts (a arms on sleds,) and of course suspension is one of the most expensive technologies on any motorized vehicle.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
I think I got one of those defective tanks. I sent it back to him and he was able to repair it. So far so good. It looks good and is very light.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I think I got one of those defective tanks. I sent it back to him and he was able to repair it. So far so good. It looks good and is very light.

I also had one of those defective tanks he did replace the tank with another but my fuel cap leaks something terrible on both of the tanks.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
titanium rear arms
Float shocks
Titanium can
Skinz burandt seat
Pcc light weight clutch mods.

That's what I would start with. If the front suspension hold up no need to go aftermarket there.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I lost over 5 lbs in the last couple of weeks. I am under 200 now. Oh yeah the new Axys RMK is significantly lighter especially once I remove the stock can in favor for the GGB.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Yep, you can lose lots of pounds that are unrelated to the sled. Carbon fiber helmet, lightweight shovel, carbon fiber avy probe, ultra light backpack, lighter clothing, boots, yourself, etc.

If you've ever done any backpacking just apply the same principles. Everything needs to lose weight and nothing is off the table. If you never use more than 7 gallons of gas do you need to carry 11?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Another way to look at it is you save $5000 minus the price of a can just getting an Axys RMK.

Premium Features