• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 D800 NEED HELP!

S
Feb 11, 2013
Lake Tapps, Wa
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a '08 D800. First time I took it out, it was sputtering when I got to about 3/4 throttle. The check engine light would come on and flash continuously (no code or pattern) and would go into safe mode. If I shut it down and restart the sled would run fine again until I pinned the throttle. Took it home and talked to the dealer but didn't get much help. Went out again this weekend and it was cutting out once again on me. As we rode it continued to get worse but the check engine light was not coming on. Finally as I was trying to limp it back to the truck it was popping and cutting out at low RMPs. I shut it down for a few minutes and then it would not start at all. Towed it back to the truck and now I'm stumped.

After reading through the threads I'm thinking step one is to replace the voltage regulator. It also sounds like maybe my ECU is shot. :mad2: ?

The dealership is still 10 days out from being able to work on it so I'd like to try a few things myself. Washington is finally getting some snow and I'm stuck on the sidelines. :closed_2:

Any help is greatly appreciated by this newbie!

C
I just had a similar situation with my 07 727 dealer found a bad connection at the coil with a wire that failed so you might look at that area. the symptoms sound very similar so hope you can track it down
BK

S
Feb 11, 2013
Lake Tapps, Wa
Thanks for the input. I went to the dealer to pick it up and start on it but they had just started working on it. They checked compression and it was fine. Tomorrow morning they are going to scan it for past codes and go from there. Hopefully It will be some sort of connection but I have a feeling it will be more...

S
Feb 11, 2013
Lake Tapps, Wa
Dealer called this morning and the reason it wouldn't start was just a faulty kill switch that was installed. :amen: I still don't have a clue why it was cutting out at 3/4 throttle and going into safe mode. They are going to scan it now to see if they can pull past codes on it.

S
Feb 11, 2013
Lake Tapps, Wa
Just heard back again from the dealer. Compression came back at 145 and the code that had been coming on was a detonation issue. Sounds like I need to mix a little 101 octane or something. I was under the impression the sled just had SLP Y pipe, pipe and can, but it must have an aftermarket head or something else done to it. Time to bump up the octane and mountain test.

Premium Features