• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MT Jefferson CLOSED

not sure what more you want
as i stated earlier a representative of congressman Steve Daines was at the state
meeting and notified us of the closure
call the local forest office and ask them
need to see if the backcountry sled patriots are going to help or the sledwarriors
or brc or ......

Last edited:

prorideupper800

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2013
Upper Pennisula of Michigan
land use Mt. Jefferson

It is too bad to hear this but as long as the Activist are running the Whitehouse we are going to be attacked from every angle. We can't even maintain a Powerline Right of way without the Forest Service doing a Study on it to see if there are any endangered weeds growing in it. We have to continue to Write or email our Senators & Congressmen to let them know what we Stand for. My group of riders just starting riding Island Park area 2 yrs ago and we have been on Mt. Jefferson and seen no signs stating anything was closed we just followed tracks , many tracks trying to find good riding. So we could have been in the closed zone but didn't know it.

Last edited:
I assume this is referring to the south side of Mount Jefferson that is now closed or will be closed soon? If so, this does not surprise me one bit, although I still don’t like it.

When the FS modified their plan and made the decision to keep the south side open to winter motorized (snowmobiles), the FS was very clear that if snowmobile boundary violations occurred in the closed north side of Mount Jefferson (which they were closely monitoring), then they would decide whether to close the south side.

It seems there have been numerous and routine violation by snowmobilers into the closed north side: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5406419.pdf

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
It's definitely unfortunate, but like every single use plan ever drafted motorized recreation was dead-center in the gun scope. The snowmobile community has once again been taken advantage of by the Forest Circus. The plan was never meant to give us a credible attempt at maintaining that area for snowmobile use, and our main form of identification leads us to believe that the entire area in question is 'OPEN TO SNOWMOBILES DECEMBER 1 - MAY 15'. There hasn't even been legitimate updates to the maps to show where these different 'use restriction' areas are. Thousands of locals, and many thousands more that are not familiar at all with the area ride up there annually. I have never, EVER, seen any postings, signage, warnings, state line signs, NOTHING that would give the inclination that I am entering a restricted or closed area. Think about what forms of motorized recreation are already restricted up there. With information available like what is posted below, you have to assume that the Circus always has, and always will have sledders hands tied behind their back.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
It's definitely unfortunate, but like every single use plan ever drafted motorized recreation was dead-center in the gun scope. The snowmobile community has once again been taken advantage of by the Forest Circus. The plan was never meant to give us a credible attempt at maintaining that area for snowmobile use, and our main form of identification leads us to believe that the entire area in question is 'OPEN TO SNOWMOBILES DECEMBER 1 - MAY 15'. There hasn't even been legitimate updates to the maps to show where these different 'use restriction' areas are. Thousands of locals, and many thousands more that are not familiar at all with the area ride up there annually. I have never, EVER, seen any postings, signage, warnings, state line signs, NOTHING that would give the inclination that I am entering a restricted or closed area. Think about what forms of motorized recreation are already restricted up there. With information available like what is posted below, you have to assume that the Circus always has, and always will have sledders hands tied behind their back.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Anyone carry this around with them when they ride up there? Sure paints a different picture compared to the mass distributed maps we rely on. Also, based on the diagram associated with the plan is there even a threat to the entire NE and surrounding areas that are open between Mt. Jefferson and Sawtelle, as well as south towards Kilgore Rd. and Big Springs? That is where a majority of traffic comes from anyway, so is there really a threat to what is being portrayed in the 'Mt. Jefferson CLOSED' picture? Just trying to help folks wrap their hands around this issue.

"the combination of uses allowed on Mt Jefferson under the Forest Plan represents a management challenge, because the boundary between the motorized and non-motorized use areas does not follow an effective topographical barrier to illegal motorized entry. The success of this compromise decision relies heavily on voluntary compliance with recommended wilderness boundaries by over-snow vehicle users."

Mt Jefferson Plan - Pages 63-66

Last edited:

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Has anybody heard anything definitive from the Idaho Snowmobile Association?

Also, has anyone viewed signs that denote the closed area? (on the Montana side).

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
For the most part that specific boundary does not effect most of the ridable areas on Jefferson. BUT its just a ploy to get there foot in the area so they can take more and eventually close off all the Montana portion which is some of the better riding on Jefferson. WTH is Montana's problem anyway, dont you guys have a vote up there?

Best thing to do is keep riding the heck out of that area so they have less of a cause. Great riding to be had on Jefferson.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
That really makes me mad ...

I've been going to West Yellowstone for the last several years to ride, but had never had the chance to ride Mt. jefferson due to snow conditions.

Guess now I never will :(

bobgrmkpro

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Bismarck, ND
www.wfadvisors.com
Paul, You are correct that members do not scan the Land Use section however I just did after reading your post and the last information I could find on Mt. Jefferson was Nov 1, 2011. Perhaps I looked in the wrong area and if so please help me out with this issue. My snowmobile group rides the Mt. Jeff. area of IP and really enjoy it. Our Club is a member of BRC as I am. Bob from ND

katzass

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2008
Tester is a land grabbing wilderness lover paying all his tree hugging millionaires that got him elected again back. We are fighting him and his wilderness bills 24/7 . He is a sneaky back stabbing liberal who doesnt care at all about the people of montana or the small businesses he is crushing with all his stupid wilderness crap!!!

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Tester is a land grabbing wilderness lover paying all his tree hugging millionaires that got him elected again back. We are fighting him and his wilderness bills 24/7 . He is a sneaky back stabbing liberal who doesnt care at all about the people of montana or the small businesses he is crushing with all his stupid wilderness crap!!!

nice rant but you are preaching to the choir, call/write your senator if you want a change

Last edited:

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
nice rant but you are preaching to the choir, call/write your senator if you want a change
Exactly. This is the only way to raise awareness at the government level. You HAVE to call and write repeatedly to show that there are people who care about these issues. And it has to be a lot of people doing this. Get a group and spread the word. One person writing is better than no one, but there needs to be a flood of letters and calls.

M
Mar 7, 2008
list those democrat examples state by state that proves this statement wrong - the support for Wilderness / defacto Wilderness designations / et al comes from the left/democrat camp.

Give them more democrats in congress, another democrat president, and you will promote further limitations for land access / motorized use.

Premium Features