• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

and another clutching question

C
Feb 23, 2011
I know this question has been beat to death and I think I may be on the right track but I would like a solid answer. I do appreciate any help.

I just bought an 07 IQR with a 685 carls cycle. It was kind of a hack job build, but the price was right. I got it running great with some jetting an adjusting but now I'm into the clutching which is fairly greek to me. It has a team secondary and a 70-42-46 / 70-44-46. The problem I'm having is that when going down the trail it works great, but when i dive into some real snow it poops the bed. Goes from 8100 down to 6500 and stay there. My father in law suggests something closer to 58-38-? and a 43 tooth driven. If it helps it has 20/40 gears, and a 136 2".

Another question, it has a slp single pipe and the can down comer sticks out the bottom of the belly pan about 4", I remember when doo had issues with loss of power in deep snow they started using a deflector. Think that might be a big hindrence?

I
Sep 15, 2012
oregon
2010 600r

i just read your post i had a similiar problem with my 600r carb vent tube to the air box made a big dif i also went with a 56-42-36 less spin but holds skis off the ground a good 200 feet hope this helps :wave:

C
Feb 23, 2011
thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a new team 04 secondary and with the help of jason have got it figured i think. The helix in my old clutch was just too much for the deep snow.

C
Feb 23, 2011
and here we are again. sled is now getting worse off the bottom end. the only time it will spool up is if im on a groomed trail and already into the throttle. if I try and take off in snow any deeper than a foot it feels like i'm riding a 340 fan. I have a Koso pyro and a single led light mounted on the handle bars, when idling the light flickers like its not got a good contact and the pyro quits reading at high rpms and when I push the max button it gives me numbers like 1800. I ran new ground wires but to no avail. I have a few ideas to try but with my work sechedule I don't have a lot of time to tinker so I would really appreciate any tips or leads anyone has. I tried a new stator and on my list is to check the carb vent, reeds, voltage regulator ad carb boots. I am at 2700' My carb is at 380 mains 145 starter, needle in middle, 45 pilot, fuel screw out 1-1/4 and pilot air 0.6. huge thanks to any help.

Last edited:
sounds like your starving it for fuel. It takes fuel to make pipe heat. try a 410 main and 50 pilots 3 turns out. It wont snap off idle but when you get above 4000 rpm it will have power. Also make sure your belt is tensioned properly. A loose belt is like starting out in overdrive. Too add to that a new belt might solve all the problems. Good Luck

Last edited:
C
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks folks, I got it figured. I ended up taking nearly the whole thing apart and putting it all back properly. The person who built the sled put zero effort into quality control, the wiring was an embarrassing mess. Could use some lower gearing but other than that it runs like a dream now. Also, the led light I had on it wasn't drawing enough power so the voltage regulator wasn't able to keep up, put on 2 55Wers and all is well.

Premium Features