• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ZRT 800 mod HP numbers??

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
So i bought this ZRT off my dad and i have no idea where he got it from or who, but from what he was told the cylinders where bore to about 900 spec's and the heads were milled to match from the 800, but its running AAEN triple pipes and they seem to be race pipes? Vforce reeds, with pods, but the body is from a 96 so very very heavy to my IQR 800, so if anyone can tell me what this motor makes and a good chassis that will handle the torque, also i have a summit 670 twin with no motor would that work?? thanks mitch

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
So i bought this ZRT off my dad and i have no idea where he got it from or who, but from what he was told the cylinders where bore to about 900 spec's and the heads were milled to match from the 800, but its running AAEN triple pipes and they seem to be race pipes? Vforce reeds, with pods, but the body is from a 96 so very very heavy to my IQR 800, so if anyone can tell me what this motor makes and a good chassis that will handle the torque, also i have a summit 670 twin with no motor would that work?? thanks mitch

I think the stock zrt was in the 140 to 145 hp it would be up maybe 10 more with the big bore and the pipes give it 12 more. They had respectable hp numbers just a bit heavy. Very fast on the drag strip.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Loved my old ZRT Mod. Just at the end of every day, it was still a bit heavier that I expected, despite the super diet it was put on. :face-icon-small-dis

DSC00759.jpg DSC00756.jpg

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I did end up getting a 1999 ZR chassis that iam going to find out if this triple will fit, i also have another triple mod that i may try stuff in my IQR chassis

The motor will definitely bolt into the chassis. You'll need motor mounts from any 99+ ZRT800 or Tcat (or Pantera 800/1000, I think that was all the sleds that used that motor)

I think a couple places made pipes to fit under the twin hood, but you can also just both the ZRT2 style (99+ triple) plastic to the frame. The bulkheads are the same.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Qreiff who tall are your shocks on that frame? or did you change A-arms? And Idcatman3 why cant i use the motor mounts that are already in my ZR-1 chassis? they look very simular? I have AAEN triple pipes they look small in my chassis right now and there very tight together and close to the engine so they should fit the 99 chassis? iam not to worried if i got to cut some plastic out

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
These are the mounts from the ZRT1 chassis:
0731-882.png

This is the ZRT2 (or just AWS V, same as ZR2/3):
0734-340.png

They are similar, but the shape of the bulkhead is different so I don't think they would directly bolt in. I'm sure you could make it work though.

Also, if your '99 chassis is a 5 or 600, you don't have to change the jackshaft motor mount, it's the same as the one for the big triples.

I do think some of the sleds I've seen with this motor in the ZR2 plastic have used AAEN pipes, so they may fit with little/no modification.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Thanks so much, and the mounts are alot different, they almost look like the twin 900/800 set up, ive done a few swaps with those motors, this is my first big triple since my 96XLTspecial, would you know anyone that would have mounts or would it be cheaper just to hit up the dealer ship?

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
a zrt 800 with pipes no big bore was around 166hp and a piped 1000 was around 187 that was no porting just pipes.so I would assume if your sled was made to a 900 it prob included some lake race porting and it would get it close to that 180+ number.stick with the cat chasey if using for a lake racer you can start dumping weight hole saw all over the bulk head fake fuel cell titanium parts have got to be dirt cheep used for that chasey now days.I have buds with lake race thunders that weigh less than my M.

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
got then 99 ZR ready now just waiting on motor mounts, thanks ezra for those numbers, also have v force reeds, with aaen race pipes, going to check bore next week, iam going to try get about 250hp+ on pump on this motor since i just came across a spare one

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The 1000 T-Cat was 172hp stock. I think Ezra is on the money for the 800 with pipes. If you're in the 180-185hp range I'd believe it. Again, depending on what all is done.
Prolly the most important thing needed is additional bracing with the triple in the aluminum bulkhead. Under the clutches, and in front of the chaincase. UI'd also look at the steering hoop and possibly strengthen if the stock braces are no longer there.

My dad had a '95 with PSI pipes and VForce reeds. The thing was an animal. Good luck.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Prolly the most important thing needed is additional bracing with the triple in the aluminum bulkhead. Under the clutches, and in front of the chaincase. UI'd also look at the steering hoop and possibly strengthen if the stock braces are no longer there.

Reeb, the bulkhead in the '99 ZR was the same as the bulkhead in the '99+ ZRT/T-cats. It shouldn't need extra bracing. Our 1500 triple is in a stock King Cat chassis with no extra bracing and we've had no chassis issues in 2 years.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Where I've tore the bulkhead underneath the clutches on my 800 in my 99 snopro bulkhead(caught it early and it hasn't happened after the extra bracing) and I saw a 1404 totally wreck a King bulkhead(think it was the 2nd or 3rd year) Bone stock chassis. Just giving the guy a heads up that crap can happen. I expected it from the steel bulkheads but was a bit of a shock with the aluminum, especially with the braces that are there from stock. But I've seen a 440 fan crack a aluminum bulkhead in 7 different spots too(5 years of Sno-X and 5 hard mtn years will do that mind you)
Glad you're easy on your stuff, can't say the same here :D :beer;

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You should post some pics of where the problem spots you've seen are. Maybe we've just missed some damage when we've been inspecting.

But yes, we are kinda easy on stuff in that we don't do a lot of jumping or drops. Mostly just boondocking and climbing. We try not to hit things :face-icon-small-win

bparks

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Evergreen, Co
if i had any questions about zrt engine or best set up for racing i would be looking up hooper racing he know everthing about the zrts ands what works

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Thanks so much for all the advice guys!! But I just found out that this year was the last year that there doing drag racing and **** its bullcrap, so i did some trading on some parts and got a 05 144 tunnel and track for a top end, so i think i am just going to try keep the tripple or sell it since i just got a 720 preditor with my EFI set up I am just short of a crank with that motor there saying with that 720 i should make with twin pipes about 170hp? Is that right? the 720 already has a D&D fuel regulator, and V force reeds just need to know what ppl are using for computer management and if i should change injectors and little things like that so the big triple might be up for sale haha

Premium Features