• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new to the sport

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
Only stuff that I wear that isn't sled specific are my boots (Lamar snowboarding boots) and my MX gloves, and MX helmet....

If I had ski/snowboard equipment available, I'd wear it. Much rather have that extra cash for repairs, mods, gas. But if your going to buy sled gear, I'd take a good look at what Castle has, they're cheaper than HMK/Klim, stuff looks good, and works fantastic. I'm into a jacket, pants, and Fly backcountry pack (w/ shovel, probes, flags, camelback) around $450 total, not bad at all for new stuff, but $450 is a lot of gas money to go find snow.

Only regret I have is getting white stuff... that was stupid...

P
Dec 1, 2008
Kimberley, BC
Yup ski and snowboard stuff works perfectly. Sled stuff is overpriced and of varying quality. There is no reason to go out and drop a bunch of money on overpriced, not better functioning, and very questionable looking (fashion wise) snowmobile gear.

That is unless you like to have flames on everything you wear, and if you do more power to you.

I wear a MX Helmet, Ski goggles, MX Pants, Snowboard jacket, MX gloves, and Snowboard Boots........Works sweet and I am as dry and warm as anyone else.

Last edited:
S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
Helmet: 509 helmet
Gloves: Klim Klimates
Goggles: 509 Sinisters (2009's) and Scott's OTG
Balaclava: any
Coat: any skiing/boarding coat will do fine
Bibs: Klim Klimate
Boots: Klim Radiums (snowboarding boots will do)

Gear: (all purchased from SnowBigDeal.com)
avalanche beacon: Pieps DSP
probe: Black Diamond Carbon Fiber (230 cm)
shovel: black diamond D7

Snobunje (Rattler is the BEST invention ever!)

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
My suggestion would be to buy the best gear you can, the first time. Otherwise you'll end up spending more in the long run as you replace the low quality gear with higher quality gear. That does NOT mean you have to spend a fortune, necessarily, but don't skimp on quality.

I use:
Klim Valdez Parka
BRP Bibs
Baffin boots (100% waterproof, rated to -100F)
BRP carbon fiber MX helmet
509 and Scott 89xi goggles
Black Diamond Gloves (with Mountain Hardware mitts in my pack)
Generic balaclavas
No-Fog Mask
Camelback backpack

F
Nov 26, 2007
Snowboard boots are good,just don't get ones with the metal hooks for eyelets they scratch the heck out of the tunnel.:beer;

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Yup ski and snowboard stuff works perfectly. Sled stuff is overpriced and of varying quality. There is no reason to go out and drop a bunch of money on overpriced, not better functioning, and very questionable looking (fashion wise) snowmobile gear.

That is unless you like to have flames on everything you wear, and if you do more power to you.

I wear a MX Helmet, Ski goggles, MX Pants, Snowboard jacket, MX gloves, and Snowboard Boots........Works sweet and I am as dry and warm as anyone else.

I disagree.... I know the Klim stuff is expensive, but I would never go back. You don't know "dry" until you try it...

Some riding buddies were trying to say their gear was adequate a couple rides ago, but as soon as we get off the hill they are always in a rush to get changed into dry clothes... Hmmm????
To prove a point, I wore my sledding gear on the 6 hour drive home and was as comfortable as I would have been had I changed.

I know some of you are gonna blast me on this, but I would challenge you to find me someone who has gone back to their ski or snowboard gear after trying the good stuff.

Also, two thumbs up on the 509 goggles and helmet! :beer;

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
I've always used ski/snowboard gear. Just make sure it is gore-tex, or something of equal quality. It must be waterproof and breathable. It is also going to stink like exhaust, so you might want dedicated gear. (unless you are on a 4-stroke or etec)

The big difference with snowmobiling is if you get wet, and break down (or get uber stuck) 20 miles in the backcountry, you are in serious trouble. Heck, if the snow is super deep 2 miles is enough to keep you from getting back to the car before dark. The situation now just became life threatening, not just uncomfortable. Your car isn't at the bottom of the hill like it is when skiing.

Don't skimp on good cloths, boots, etc. Carry spare gloves.

The only thing is see different in snowmobile specific jackets is the lack of a hood. You don't need it because you have a helmet. The hood adds extra bulk and may actually hold snow. Personally, I like having the hood just in case.

Snowmobile specific pants often have a hook on the bottom of the gaitor (attach to boot laces) to keep them from riding up. Your boots aren't typically as bulky as ski/snowboard boots and the elastic on the bottom may not hold them down tight enough. The new seats aren't slippery, at least on my XP.

Welcome to the world of snowmobiling. As a life long skier I can tell you I'll go sledding over skiing any day. It's addictive!!

D
Jul 21, 2009
Northern WI
I started with snowboard gear, and still use some of it. Snowmobile specific coat and pants are almost a must, if you ride a lot, mostly for the waterproof and breathability qualities. I use FXR coat/pants, it's the same quality or better than Klim, but quite a bit cheaper and looks ten times better. I use Burton Goretex snowboard mittens to this day, they still work better than any other gloves/mittens I've tried. I also wear Rocky boots, I just don't care for wearing my snowboard boots and never found a comfy pair of snowmobiling specific boots, they're too bulky for me.

Wear what you're comfortable in, you'll have more fun, but you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to pants/coat, don't go with Castle or anything cheap, you'll regret it. If you don't sled much, then wear the gear you already have, but if you live to sled, like I do, get good gear!

R
Nov 25, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
I started with snowboard gear, and still use some of it. Snowmobile specific coat and pants are almost a must, if you ride a lot, mostly for the waterproof and breathability qualities. I use FXR coat/pants, it's the same quality or better than Klim, but quite a bit cheaper and looks ten times better. I use Burton Goretex snowboard mittens to this day, they still work better than any other gloves/mittens I've tried. I also wear Rocky boots, I just don't care for wearing my snowboard boots and never found a comfy pair of snowmobiling specific boots, they're too bulky for me.

Wear what you're comfortable in, you'll have more fun, but you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to pants/coat, don't go with Castle or anything cheap, you'll regret it. If you don't sled much, then wear the gear you already have, but if you live to sled, like I do, get good gear!

Haven't had any issues with my Castle gear at all, keeps me plenty warm and I always come back to the truck dry, only thing I wear underneath it all is a t-shirt and shorts. Heard their older lines were junk durability wise though.

S
Jan 13, 2009
kelso washington
castle gear sucks

a couple of us bought castle gear last year. it absorbs water like a mop and is falling apart . heck my arctiva that i used 2 years and have borrowed out for 2 years is getting me through the rest of this season. i refuse to wear the castle again waste of 350 bucks.DO IT ONCE BUY THE KLIM IF YOU ARE A SERIOUS SNOWMOBILER!

B
Jun 25, 2009
inkom, id
I would just use your snowboard gear. Most of the people that use kli and hmk are unisport athletes. They are some what overpriced but are purpose built and quality stuff. I use my burton jacket and pants are they are excelent. I would try to avois boarding boots for they are very wide and can be a problem if you have skinny running boards. If you going to drop the cash for anything sled specific i would go goggles, i have a pair of $90 smiths that are PITA when i wear my sled helmet. Also mx helmets are just as good except they dont shove your cheeks together as much. and always have an extra pair of gloves.

S

sledheadjake

Aug 31, 2009
Bonners Ferry ID
I have to also agee that snowmobile gear is better than MOST skiing gear.I have yet to get wet wearing any of my KLIM gear going on three years.(boots,bibs,gloves)This year I am going to get the coat also.Ihave tried mountain hardware and polaris and a couple of others coatsand have always got wet .I have to say just pay for the good stuff now and youll be better off later:face-icon-small-hap

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I dunno on the 509s. I ride with a couple of guys that have them and they are always stopping to change them out or de-fog them.

I have the Scott XIs and I have only had to switch them out for a dry pair once. As for KLIM, they use to be top notch but are sliding downhill FAST!
I would get the HMK gear and DO NOT get a full face or a modular helmet, you will end up hating it and buying a motocross style anyways. Snowboard boots do work very well, they are light and waterproof. Do stay away from the metal eyelets though.

Always carry extra gloves with you, invest in a spare fuel can and carry it with you on the sled. You don't need to buy sled brand specific oil for the sled, there are other brands out there that are WAY cheaper that do the same exact job and will not harm your motor. INJEX for example is 15-20 a gallon cheaper than the sled brand oil and does the same thing. I won't hurt the sled at all. Carry dry socks. Prepare yourself to spend the night outdoors, even if you never do. The day will come when you may have to and you won't regret it. Always try to go to a "new" area with somebody that already knows the lay of the land, you will enjoy the ride more that way. Wear layers. Take plenty of food and water. Don't take beer, that is just plain stupid, IMO. Fresh snow, buddies and cameras make us do plenty of stupid chit as it is, you don't need booze to help out. Save that for after the ride. Get a shovel, beacons and avy training. Save for the more expensive avy protection stuff during the off season.

Respect all backcountry users, including the irritating twig fairies that create so many headaches for the snowmobiling sport. Stay out of the wilderness areas even though that untracked powder is awefully tempting.

just a few tips off the top of my head. Have fun and welcome.

Premium Features