• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

series IV track on a 2002 rmk?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Good choice on the camoplast. I didn't think the clearance was there for 2.4" lugs myself. The guys with the tall lugs complain of overheating on a icy trail and no control on an icy trail or hill. The camplast has serrated lugs that are relatively stiff, so they can get some traction on ice and they aren't sitting so far above trace levels of powder that they are as likely to overheat. But you still should get some holz scratchers, just in case.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
I just stuffed a 2" Camoplast Challenger under an '02 Edge RMK tonight and I can't see how you will get a 2.4" in there without smaller drivers or dropping the chaincase. This sled has 1600 miles on it with the stock Polaris 2" track and it has black rubber streaks down about 1/3 of the tunnel.

Maybe pull the chaincase to get the 2.4 in there? I had a heck of time getting the track teeth to pop over the drive teeth even with the 2".

sled_guy

X2.

Its a total Whore to get a 2" in there.

R

Reaper

Nov 27, 2007
Southeast Idaho
Get the track nice and warm, takes a couple of guys to press the track in enough to slightly fold the paddles enough to get the drivers over the drive nubs.

R
Dec 4, 2007
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have 2 02 RMKs with 2.4 tracks in both of them. I machined .250 off the plastic drivers. Bend over the paddle for extra clearance and tie strap it. You can then force the track nub past the drive cog. It's not easy but it will go and it works great. I did this 5 years ago and I would not hesitate to do it again.

attachment.php
[/IMG]

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I just stuffed a 2" Camoplast Challenger under an '02 Edge RMK tonight and I can't see how you will get a 2.4" in there without smaller drivers or dropping the chaincase. This sled has 1600 miles on it with the stock Polaris 2" track and it has black rubber streaks down about 1/3 of the tunnel.

Maybe pull the chaincase to get the 2.4 in there? I had a heck of time getting the track teeth to pop over the drive teeth even with the 2".

sled_guy

I have done it both ways, first ran stock 9 tooth drivers with a 159 x 2.4" track. It bogged down after a bit of time on a steep and deep pull.
There is only 1/8 " clearance from cooler to the track.... so I am sure that there is some drag due to snow build up. (also heavy load on engine with this track)
I decided to go to 8 tooth drivers..... 4 of them not just the center two, I was afraid it may ratchet too easily with one less tooth engaged underpower.
Also with the 8 tooth driver you now have clearance and a gear down of approx. 12%.
Either way you will need to gear down quite a bit because there is now a lot more grip with a longer and deeper lug. (load up the engine)

BTW talk to tracks USA and ask them what tracks do the like for the steep and deep and they will say the poo OEM 2.52 pitch 2.4" lug is one of the best deep snow tracks out there.
My 06 900 166" proves it.
I will report after my ride tomorrow.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Well I went for a ride at Whistler 2.5 feet of fresh on top of a 7ft base 6000 ft.
2003 800 rmk slp single, new clutch springs, new belt, 8 tooth drivers (4 of them) driving on all track nubs (not extroverts).
159 X 2.4 series IV off of my 06 900 RMK.
All I can say is I feel sorry for all those guys on their 09 an 10 800 cc sleds.
Not one of them even came close to the highmarks.
I am very impressed with this mod.

Premium Features