• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is a good dedicated snow and ice tire for a diesel pickup?

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I keep running Toyo m55 on my pick up.
Best snow and off road tire I have ever bought.
Pricy but worth every penny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

900polman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ft Bridger WY
G2

I'm running G2 275/65 r20 on my hunting truck. Use it going to the cabin in the winter. It has performed very well Ice, snow, fair in mud. I would recommend them all around. I'm running cooper Discover RTX on my 18 Ram 3500. It had firestone Transforce At on it, not good for anything but milage in my opinion. good all around performance on the cooper so far. Both have been used in wet snow and ice this year.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I'm running G2 275/65 r20 on my hunting truck. Use it going to the cabin in the winter. It has performed very well Ice, snow, fair in mud. I would recommend them all around. I'm running cooper Discover RTX on my 18 Ram 3500. It had firestone Transforce At on it, not good for anything but milage in my opinion. good all around performance on the cooper so far. Both have been used in wet snow and ice this year.

Thanks for the feedback.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm curious if anyone has experience with the Toyo CT's. This is labeled as a commercial tire but my tire guy swears by them. He can get the MT, AT2, RT or pretty much any other brand. He says to sipe them and they have incredible wear, bite in the ice and good traction. They have a deep lug cut so it takes more to fill them up (with ice/snow) and they treads are tighter together than MT's. I would sipe them too.

Toyo-2-Open-Country-C-T-8-2-16.jpg

Dragonflya

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2018
Pacific Northwest/Tigard OR
Apologies for being late to the thread.
I love the Toyo MT' for all season!
I had 2 sets of Toyo A/Ts on a Burby, got well over 55k miles on each set. I pulled a trailer on the farm in mud hauling heavy wet wood, no problem, was surprised. They were the first set of tires/time I ever drove in freezing rain. They were amazing. Truly an all season tire. I used to sipe them prior to the 2nd set. Heavy sloppy snow just as easy. Sand not so much.

Now I run a 3500 Silverado Crew LB and pull a 34' 9,000lb trailer, my drift boat and utility trailer with a cord+ of wood, in all weather in the NW( separately, lol). I wanted some aggressive tires and reluctantly went with Toyo Mudders (MT) beacuse I never had before, the R/Ts had just come out...I liked the look of the MT's. I've now got over 38k on the M/Ts and will get a new set next year. Unbelievable all around tire. I was worried about noise (yes louder than the stockers but liveable-and I am an audiophile).

Insane traction on snow and ice, and I have been driving to killer ski slopes with studded 2wd skinny tires since I was 15. I never went out in freezing rain until the burby and the Toyo A/Ts, now I wait for the idiots to get off the road and go have a blast. I turn off the nannies (no StabLitrak, no Traction Control because I can't drift with the nannies-duh), only use 4 wheel drive high up steep hills from a stop. I live on a steep hill. Going down hill I chill. Pulling, different story, nannies on.

The Tire guy at Les Schwab said they may not be as good on snow/ice, but they are stupid easy to drive on snot and deep sloppy snow like we get here in the NW...no problem. I just checked out and passed my 18 yr old boy in freezing rain, nannies off in the hills. Kids don't try this at home, lol.
Why have 2 sets of tires on a truck? I made a mistake with the funky square wheel wells on the Silverado, got talked into a 6" lift (which I didn't need as my manhood is not in doubt). But I saved $4.00 per tire for the 37's lol. Pain in the *** to get in and out of the truck at age 58 but no problem going anywhere I want to go. Never once used my chains, and last summer went 4 wheeling up around Ollallie and drove right through deep mud into a 5' impossible snow drift and didn't get stuck.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
TTT for this time of year.

What is a really good studdable snow tire, that hold up on a diesel truck and has a high stud count??

ie: Good in deep snow...good on ice... good for two seasons (with use of summer tires as well.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
After a long search, decided on TransForce AT/2's (next gen from the orig). Installed on a '13 2500HD Duramax Crew pulling an enclosed 4 plc. While not a dedicated snow tire, they have been great all around. Whether highway and empty, or back roads loaded through snow and mud. 15k mi on them now, only a slight bit of wear. Worth looking into !

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
TTT for this time of year.

What is a really good studdable snow tire, that hold up on a diesel truck and has a high stud count??

ie: Good in deep snow...good on ice... good for two seasons (with use of summer tires as well.

I haven't studded mine, but I love my Duratracs in the snow. I had them siped and they are best tire I've ever run in the snow. I got 45k miles out of them on 14 Ram 2500 Cummins, which I consider good for an 8000 lb truck.

My buddy also like his Cooper ST Maxx.

I think either of these would be a good choice.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Interested in this thread once again. Running an F150 is there a significant difference between
BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2

vs

NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER G2

Both are about the same price, but the Nitto's come with a 50,000 mile warranty. I wouldn't be towing significant amounts of weight but perhaps a sled in the bed or towing a 2 place w/2 sleds.

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Interested in this thread once again. Running an F150 is there a significant difference between
BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2

vs

Funny, I was thinking of searching this thread up myself.
For my 2012 F150 Crew 4x4
I've narrowed it down to:
Cooper Discoverer M&S
Hankook i'Pike RW11
Hercules Avalanche X-Treme LT

My criteria was predominantly based on performance on snow-packed roads & load rating of "E"

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have said in a couple other threads and I will say it again- Cooper ATWs are pretty incredible with the exception of treadwear, but they are cheap, I don't care if I have to replace them 10,000 miles earlier than an all season. The peace of mind is worth it.

They drive nice, are quiet, and have amazing traction. There really are no compromises with them in my mind, they do it all and do it all extremely well.

On my second set, will buy a 3rd when these ones are gone. $160-$170 in E range for 265/75 R16.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I have said in a couple other threads and I will say it again- Cooper ATWs are pretty incredible with the exception of treadwear, but they are cheap, I don't care if I have to replace them 10,000 miles earlier than an all season. The peace of mind is worth it.

They drive nice, are quiet, and have amazing traction. There really are no compromises with them in my mind, they do it all and do it all extremely well.

On my second set, will buy a 3rd when these ones are gone. $160-$170 in E range for 265/75 R16.

I respectfully disagree, I much prefer the original Cooper Snow tire or any other tire period.They were out of stock one year so they sold me the ATW’s instead. Worthless in our wet coastal snow. Even in four wheel drive it lacked traction in all three needed areas; steering, acceleration, and braking. You couldn’t pay me to put them on another vehicle. FWIW

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Huh. Well thats fine :face-icon-small-hap

Just drove on chit roads for the first time this year and I seriously am impressed everytime I drive them. They seems to excel in everything you mentioned that they lack, acceleration, steering, and braking.

I have around 70k miles on over the last 5 years pulling a 31ft trailer chasing snow. I have used a number of different tires on both my tow rig and other daily driver trucks. Put considerable miles (10,000+) on Cooper ST Maxxs, studded Nokian Hakkapellitas, studded Hercules somethings (junk), Hankook Dynapro ATMs, BFG Rugged Terrains, and couple other non snow specific tires and have been pretty disappointed with every set in one way or another. Have also put some miles on some other tow rigs with tires that suck... one in particular that comes to mind are Trail Grapplers.

Like I say... I am on my second set and have every intention of buying a 3rd, and its not a case of I spent too much money on em and refuse to admit they suck. Hakkapelittas were like $250 a tire and pretty much sucked, especially for the money. Who knows, maybe I just drive in totally different snow than you, typically east of the divide in the lower 48.

What do you like for snow tires?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
After reading these threads every yr.
I stopped replying.

My brother managed tire shops for several yrs. I bought in to it for a while.
We ended selling almost everything off 6yrs ago. Still have the balancer.. can't trust most shops to balance to 0...

My brother and i have ran a lot of different tires. Along with lots of friends and many many customers. Everyone has a different opinion on the same tires. Even on similar trucks.

I ran Goodyear Duratrac's on my Superduty. I thought it was a good looking tire. Lots of customers raved about them, some of my friends ran them on their Superdutys.

I swear they were worse than any tire i had ever ran, dry, wet, snow..... (235/85R16)
Side by side comparison, identical trucks.
In snow and ice. Cheap azz mud tires(thunder mt) kicked my azz(35x12.50R20). I had to lock in 4wd and other truck was in 2wd even climbing the hill. I put it back in 2wd several times after i picked up some speed, didn't last 50ft.

I put on some Hankook RF10(285/75R16) and went back to the same road, same trucks.
I kicked his azz. Didn't need 4wd the rest of the winter unless towing a trailer slowly uphill. Put that Hankook in some mud and ur done.....

Irok radial directionals will kick azz on any tire i have ran in deep snow, pretty good in mud and rocks also. Not great on the hwy as a daily.

Everyone has their favorites, just like snowmobiles and trucks. What works for one, doesn't necessarily work for someone else.

I run cooper discoverer At3 on my 1500 work truck, i have no complaints about them for traction year round.
BFG KO2 on my diesel, luv those tires all year round, especially in snow and ice.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yes, its pretty funny, everyone has different feelings on different tires. Guys love KO2s, I’ve drove them a little and they are too loud and drive too much like an AT/MT. I wont buy them, for those 2 reasons. I think they are the best looking tire you can buy, but in the end thats the thing I care about least.

Tons of guys run Duratracs, I refuse. I can’t imagine being in a truck for 17 hours with those noise makers on, just not for me.

Last edited:
M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Tits & Tires

Michelin M&S/2 (load range E) @ 45 psi on my Suburban best all year-round tire for me in MT. BFG KO2 on my Ram 3500, best traction in snow/ice; Way better than previous Toyo M55s, Nitto EXO Grapplers, Duratracks!!!

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Bear in mind that whatever you buy will be great this winter.
The true test for a snow tire is how it performs at half life and beyond.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Traveling 700 to 1000 miles each trip to the mts. I have never had deep snow on the road I'm talking 10 inches or more so deep lug mud tires are out but almost every trip drive on ice and compacted snow. I have worn 2 sets of cooper m- s dedicated snow tire with studs. I also carry a set of chains if I need maximum traction to get out of a bad situation. I bought a new truck 2 years ago dropped the trailer on the ball with 300 miles on it. It had Goodyear sra on it i was impressed how good they did on ice. Lots of guys pulling these tires off and selling them cheap I run them in the summer now. Last set I bought were new and paid 80$ per tire. I run them two summers and buy new for that price. So I'm glad for guys that don't like the stock tires.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I had duratracs and ko2s on my '13 f150, liked the ko2s a lot better. I'm in the market for a dedicated snow/ice tire for my new '18 f150. Has anybody tried Blizzaks? My truck came with Michelin tires and they are pretty good, but not a winter rated tire. I want a dedicated set of winter tires, anybody have experience with Blizzaks? I am also considering putting them on my trailer if they are that good of a winter tire. Truck has 18" rims.

Premium Features