• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King cats dominate m1000?

W

WoodeeeM1000

Mar 14, 2008
Libby,Montana
Me and my buddy both have 08 m1000s. His has jaws twins,rktek secondary,and a few more mods. Mine is bone stock except for a jaws can and cutler side panel vents. My three other buddies all ride king cats with twins and 159'' tracks, in the powder the king cats just walk all over my sled, the other thousand can sometimes go where the king cats go but never in a straight line like the king cats. the 1000s just dont get on top of the snow like the king cats do, to me it seems like a 1000 cc sled with a 162, should put the hurtin on a 860 something cc 159 sled, theres got to be something a guy can do to let these sleds get on top of the snow and not just spin the track.Ive tried the GEOMOD but im not real sure it helped any. We were thinkin about maybe getting 9 tooth drivers, but dont know if anyone makes them, should improve the attack angle, and maybe gear them down, i dont know, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!:D

Last edited:

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Get a king cat !!!
If you can get your 1000 to transfer fer weight better you will have more luck. I love my king, plan on riding it for a long time to come !!!! cant se spending 11000 for a sled that wont go in the deep like me king that I paid 4500 for !!!

W

WoodeeeM1000

Mar 14, 2008
Libby,Montana
If i could not lose my *** by selling the 1000 i would have been riding a king cat months ago:mad:Guess ill at least have one more year to try and make this sled compete with the oldschool kings,really suks that you have to pay 12 grand and then thousands more in mods to compete with sleds that came out years ago:mad:

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
I run a 1m king 900/ 162 and was schooled today by a m1.
I don't know what he had done to this sled but all I can say is wow!
The skiis did not touch the ground ever. Nothing else even came close
xp's, dragon's, nothin'.
Somebody knows how to make them work.

1100Cat

Nov 29, 2007
I run a M1000 with a few mods and ride with many 1M/KK owners and I put a hurting on them in climbs. In the technical riding the M's make them look even more foolish. The King was exactly that the KING in its day but its days are over and the new sleds are here. If you are getting outclimbed by them somethings definitely wrong. Even a twin piped 900 will not outclimb a clutched 1000,look at the torque curves of both the 1000 makes 90ft/lbs at a measly 5000rpm STOCK and 120-130 at top rpms. Throw a pipe,can,y-pipe,airbox and clutch it and they are unstopable torque monsters period. I will say that the M is not the best clutch sled out of the box and will get beat if not clutched properly.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
I have a piped, billet heads, V-force 3 reeds, & Clutched by Sledjunky 900 1M and a 08 M1000. There is no way that the 900 will keep up. I have just a Y-pipe, Atitude box, MBRP can, & Sledjunky clutch kit on the 1000. I loved the 900 but I can’t stand to ride it after I got my M. You need to look at your set-up.

N

nermal

I agree with the latter posts. I am sure there are amazing King Cats out there but with similar set up/mods the M10 will easily outperorm a King Cat. I did not know there were King Cats with 159" tracks.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I will also agree.

I know for a fact my well running 900 with slp twins will not touch my M1000.

If you are getting your *** handed to ya by a 900 you either need to learn to ride or find someone to set your 1000 up.

Again I have both and loved my 900 until I got the m1000.

O' one other thing. If you really want a 900 I can make you a heck of a deal on an 03.5 with slp twins, 162x12 extreme track.

Thunder

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
The King was the first 162'', not 159

There's a lot of Kings that weigh less than a M-1000 and they rev higher. It's a lot eisier to build a King Cat mod. too. Getting beat---it happens.

Owen

W

WoodeeeM1000

Mar 14, 2008
Libby,Montana
I agree with the latter posts. I am sure there are amazing King Cats out there but with similar set up/mods the M10 will easily outperorm a King Cat. I did not know there were King Cats with 159" tracks.

The 159'' tracks arent the stock tracks,i know that,i may be wrong but i think they changed out the POS attack 20 track for the camoplast challenger, im not saying im a badass rider but,i can hang with alot of real good riders, what ive seen this year with the deepest snow conditions in twelve years around here that the king just outperforms the thousand in the deep pow,im saying hit an untracked bowl, straight shot climb the king kills mine and outdoes my buddies by a little too much, I do like the 1000 ill probobly ride it till it falls apart,just dont agree that it(mostly stock) will beat a perfect setup king,like the ones i ride with. Dont wanna start a fight just lookin for some opinions to make the sled better, I just know i doesnt get on top of the snow half as well as a king cat!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
My buddy purchased an 08 M1000 Sno Pro and he can outclimb me by a good bit. My cat is well set up and we are both very good riders. If I had the cash now I'd go snowcheck that 09 M1000 162 LE.

Don't get me wrong.... my 900 does smoke just about anything else we ride with.... except the M1000. A few goodies and it'll climb like a crack smokin billy goat on steriods.

M
Nov 27, 2007
After 2 seasons of riding my M1 i have found that you are right they dont come out of the snow like some others do. I dont like the track its ok in most conditions but it not the best in any. I installed a Timbersled rear skid and that made it come out of the snow you can feel it right away. I dont know if the skid design or the 20 pound weight loss or the combination of the two made it work but it does. The other problem was the secondary clutch if you havent made changes you need to with good clutching a increase of 10 plus mph track also helps . When the M1 is working right another problem occours your neck gets sore always looking back for your riding buddies(unless they have turbos) hope this helps.

W

WoodeeeM1000

Mar 14, 2008
Libby,Montana
After 2 seasons of riding my M1 i have found that you are right they dont come out of the snow like some others do. I dont like the track its ok in most conditions but it not the best in any. I installed a Timbersled rear skid and that made it come out of the snow you can feel it right away. I dont know if the skid design or the 20 pound weight loss or the combination of the two made it work but it does. The other problem was the secondary clutch if you havent made changes you need to with good clutching a increase of 10 plus mph track also helps . When the M1 is working right another problem occours your neck gets sore always looking back for your riding buddies(unless they have turbos) hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about putting the rktek secondary kit on,heard that does pretty well.Any advice as for the clutching on the stock sled i ride mostly 3-7000', RPMs hold 7300 on pulls,am pretty sure that is real close to the peak power,I am definately going to put the y-pipe,pipe and air horn,anyone know if JAWS makes a single pipe?

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
There's a lot of Kings that weigh less than a M-1000 and they rev higher. It's a lot eisier to build a King Cat mod. too. Getting beat---it happens.

Owen

Why would reving higher make the King Kat beat the M1000 ? I had an XLT and it reved pretty high....

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
I've been reading the Cat threads on here to try to gain some insight as I think I'm jumping ship for next year to a Cat.

I haven't had any experience with the Cat but I can honestly say a HOLZ Coil-over skid is the single best mod I ever made on my edge. It pops straight out of the snow and carries the skis about 2-3" off the Pow. It might be something to look into for your M1000. They get a bad rep for wheelies but that can be taken care of with a slight relocation of the rear scissor mount location but shouldn't be an issue with the 162 anyway. It will definitely help your weight transfer.

A
Nov 26, 2007
after having a M1000 for a year and a half with all the goodies, I sold it and went back to a King cat, the m1000 runs great when all set up perfectly, but against a worked over 900 king cat with a 16 wide I would say they are neck and neck, after having both and doing extensive work to both I would take the king cat.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Rode a 1M 900 with a 153 against an '08 M1000, got beat pretty bad. Have a 975 King Cat 162 x 2.5" against the M1000, pretty even. I like the King better, but that's cause I hate the way the M-chassis steers in anything other than bottomless powder. I could probably get used to it, just haven't had the time.

Plus, the money in a new M1000 would buy 3 of the 975 Kings......

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
^^^That's awful big of you to admit little bro..... But he is right fellas, there is no way a stock King Kat is touching an M1000. With equal weight riders on both sleds I think the M1000 will take the big bore King, but it isnt by much. I love the M chassis over the 1M, all in what you prefer.

Greg

Premium Features