• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP exhaust corrosion

P
Nov 3, 2018
I love SLP however my exhaust is corroding.

Has anyone had success restoring the pipe/can, and if so, what process and product?

SLP suggests steel wool and aluminum cleaner. Does that work?

Has anyone had a new coat of ceramic applied and if so, did it alter performance?

Thank you!

attachment.php

attachment.php

SLP pipe corrosion.jpg SLP pipe oxidize.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
I always use mothers stainless steel polish on my ceramic coated SLP pipes a few times a year. It removes the light rust and it also prevents rust.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
If you haul your sled in the back of your truck or on a sled deck - covered or not - it WILL get road chemicals on it and the mist WILL get inside the engine compartment. These chemicals will very quickly rust the pipe and can. Only way to prevent this, is to wash off with water as soon as you can. Steel wool does remove the lighter rust spots but once it is severely rusted, i dont know what might work then. Prevention (maintenance) is the ONLY way to keep the pipe and can looking good.

What's kind of weird is that in years past, on the SLP pipe a can in other sleds, i rarely heard of rusting issues nor had any myself. On my 2017, it was a constant battle having to maintain them to keep them looking good. Makes me wonder if the quality of the coating or the metal they use has changed. Something has definitely changed, that i know for sure!!

Bushwacker1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Wisconsin
That flaky rust looks to be beyond rubbing on some polish on to restore. You could wire wheel to clean metal and apply some silver high temp heat paint. It wont match and bring it back to new but it will stop the rust.
There are companies out there that can sand blast your pipe and apply a new ceramic coating. I found a company that does powder coating that offers this service. It was several years ago but to do a y pipe, pipe and a can it was close to $200. He said that when doing a used pipe he always baked the parts before coating to insure all oils were burned off before the new coating was applied and baked.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I always use mothers stainless steel polish on my ceramic coated SLP pipes a few times a year. It removes the light rust and it also prevents rust.

Ditto. Preventative and looks great once done.

Also, as mentioned above...wash immediately if exposed to road grime.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
The exterior rust never bothered me. i've had too many slp cans rust out internally, lose baffels and block the flow of exhausting gasses. the can is the only product i don't buy from slp.

P
Nov 3, 2018
New ceramic

Yes, the bad area is covered however the rest of the exhaust cleaned up well.

New summer I’ll give the pipe a new ceramic coat.

Premium Features