• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Modifying stock seat ?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Okay, so I know I've seen a few guys on here that have taken their stock Polaris seats, pulled the cover off and modified the foam. I'm interested in possibly trying this myself but was wondering if anyone body could post up some additional pics and let me know about how much foam was cut out.

I've got a WRP low seat ready to put on the new sled, but I would kinda like to try doing this mod and see how it turns out. So.....anyone out there with some advice, pics and or measurements, send it this way and we can have a thread dedicated to this modification.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
seat

I lowered 2", narrowed 1-1/2" and shortened 1". I love my under bag so like the rear frame where it is.

i did the same as AK did on the sizing. Everybody has been using electric carving knives. I tried a hot knife and had a hot mess. It just chunked it up. So it seems the carving knife and a little sander to contour works good. If you mess up you can back fill areas with polyeurathane caulk.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Yep, turkey knife here as well! The foam is a bit dense so the knife does work for it getting a bit hot, atleast mine did. Used a belt sander to clean things up.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
box store

You can go to most of the big stores and get an air powered stapler for re-attaching the cover. i think i used 3/8" staples. Make sure you mark the cover before you remove it, like reference points. it helps to line it all up when your installing it.

acsnopro

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2008
SW Colorado
Seat

The last one that I posted was roughly 3 inches shorter and 2 inches narrower. It made for a really nice seat for side to side transitions and still comfortable at the end of the day and lunch. Electric carving knife, belt sander/DA sander, and an electric stapler. Stainless staples last better. I'm about to cut down another one and can take some pictures as I go along for reference.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
The last one that I posted was roughly 3 inches shorter and 2 inches narrower. It made for a really nice seat for side to side transitions and still comfortable at the end of the day and lunch. Electric carving knife, belt sander/DA sander, and an electric stapler. Stainless staples last better. I'm about to cut down another one and can take some pictures as I go along for reference.

Please post up some pics, when you are done, or even some progress pics would be awesome!

Premium Features