• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diesel vs. Gasoline: COST comparison.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I'd buy the bigger Ecoboost in a heartbeat.

Aftermarket superchargers are such a clean build, not sure why Ford wouldn't go that way instead of trying to cram 2 turbos under the hood with a bigger motor??

FWIW, the Nissan with the Cummins seems pretty cool. Or at least the Cummins does.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
This is a great topic!!! Keep the info coming!!

I'm currently in the same boat and contemplating between the gas and diesel. I currently run a 3/4 ton Ford with a V10 and it's been a great truck but........I also have buddies with diesels and there nice.

Do I need a diesel.....No, but then again, most people don't "need" one either but they are nice for those long trips dragging a trailer.

I run a 30 foot all aluminum trailer and my V10 does just fine but if a guy would happen to want to go bigger on the next trailer, then obviously the diesel would be nice!

The other thing is, my 3/4 truck and the next one that replaces it only get used for pulling at that's it, otherwise its parked. So, it' doesn't end up with much for miles, so there's another reason to go gas......

It's a tough decision, and if your buying new, it's a lot of money and potentially a lot more if you go diesel!!!

So, as stated before, great thread and keep the info coming!!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is a great topic!!! Keep the info coming!!

I'm currently in the same boat and contemplating between the gas and diesel. I currently run a 3/4 ton Ford with a V10 and it's been a great truck but........I also have buddies with diesels and there nice.

Do I need a diesel.....No, but then again, most people don't "need" one either but they are nice for those long trips dragging a trailer.

I run a 30 foot all aluminum trailer and my V10 does just fine but if a guy would happen to want to go bigger on the next trailer, then obviously the diesel would be nice!

The other thing is, my 3/4 truck and the next one that replaces it only get used for pulling at that's it, otherwise its parked. So, it' doesn't end up with much for miles, so there's another reason to go gas......

It's a tough decision, and if your buying new, it's a lot of money and potentially a lot more if you go diesel!!!

So, as stated before, great thread and keep the info coming!!!!

You and I are pretty much in the same boat.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
For the past 3 years I've had a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost. I had 2 Dodge diesel's before that and 3 Chevy 1500 with 350's in them before that.

I never pull more than 10,000 lbs. I miss the stability of a 3/4 ton but had good results putting E rated tires on the F-150, definitely inproved the swaying tendencies of the 1/2 ton marshmallow tires. The ecoboost pulls my 24 foot enclosed just fine.

I agree that there is not a lot of engine braking at low rpm but downhill speed is easily controlled with higher rpm and some brake without getting on them real hard.

After owning naturally aspirated, turbo charged and turbo diesel engines I will never go back to naturally aspirated. I look forward to a 3/4 ton turbo gasser. I will probably never go back to diesel just because of cost.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Why get all the high dollar foo foo?

If I build a Ford 4x4 F250 diesel crewcab longbox with what I'd want on it, it would have a $51k msrp.

Would be an XL, with vinyl floor, which I hate. But anything above that has chrome that will get ruined in a couple trips by CO's mag chloride.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I like my diesel. Mostly because i can do the speed limit on the hwy with all of my trailers, avg 4-8klb and i get 12-14 towing. I know gassers towing at the speed limit will be single digits and hard to pass a rig if needed.
8mpg vs 12mpg is only 4mpg but it is also 50% better milage. When someone says 4 mpg better, everyone says thats not much and u would be right if ur car is getting 50mpg then 4mpg is only 8% but when ur getting 8 and another truck is getting 12 that is huge!
8mpg x40gal =320miles per tank
12mpg x40gal =480miles per tank

So 32,000 miles ÷ 8mpg = 4,000 gal x $2 per gal = $8,000.

32,000 miles ÷ 12mpg = 2,666 gal x $2 per gal = $5,333.

GS6

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
A father and son team I know have tractor trailers, bulldozers, backhoes, excavators, skid steers etc. They are also tractor collectors with around 100+ in their collection. Neither one of them will own a diesel pickup. The old man says it's a fad and the kid says the diesel motors are junk. Their words not mine. I honestly don't know. My 2003 F-250 5.4 Crew Cab pulls my 30' Aluma enclosed and works good for us. Not as good as a Diesel and it will take me longer, but we get there.
The trailer has brakes so no problem there. No fuel jell or starting worries. Insurance $38/month. License plates $40/year. Oil change $19.99 at the Ford dealer. I would say we trailer farther than most sledders here on SnoWest. Alpine WY is 1270 miles.
If I win the lottery I will buy a diesel. Until then, gas will do.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I love my diesel truck I don't think I'll ever go back to having a gas truck. When towing I like the stability of the HD and the power of being able to pass anyone I want!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thats a serious pull.
Revelstoke is even farther. Maybe that's why we haven't been there. :face-icon-small-con
If I were to go the diesel route it would have to be a F-350 Super Duty. I see others have brought up the F-150 Ecoboost. Would the light weight of the newer 150's be an issue for the heavier loads? Stability, braking, etc? Gets awful windy going across the Dakotas, Montana.

cwbyup_22

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Park City, MT
Revelstoke is even farther. Maybe that's why we haven't been there. :face-icon-small-con
If I were to go the diesel route it would have to be a F-350 Super Duty. I see others have brought up the F-150 Ecoboost. Would the light weight of the newer 150's be an issue for the heavier loads? Stability, braking, etc? Gets awful windy going across the Dakotas, Montana.
I used to have an F350 Powerstroke, sold it this year and just use my wife's F150 Ecoboost to pull our enclosed (it is not one of the aluminum ones) it is definitely affected by the wind and road ruts way more than the bigger one's, I wouldn't say it is horrible but definitely something to seriously consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It is NEVER fun to have the TAIL wag the dog going down the highway

Premium Features