• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KX 450 or KTM 450 or 500

J
Sep 6, 2014
getting ready to pull the trigger on a bike and timber sled kit what is the best bike ? I am 6-2 215 lbs any help is great pros and cons

thanks

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I bought a 2016 KTM 450 xc-f for a snowbike platform:face-icon-small-hap

Nov 6, 2012
I've had all three bikes you mentioned. If the price is the driving factor, get the KX, but otherwise get the 450 XCF/SX. The KTM 450 beats the KX because of electric start and a bit more power. It beats the KTM 500 because of better forks (for snowbiking and maybe dirt) and maybe a bit more power.

I've currently got a KTM 500 with 610 kit and my buddy with his stock 450SXF can give me a run for my money anywhere we go. But I am also 40+lbs heavier than the little runt.

J
Sep 6, 2014
I've had all three bikes you mentioned. If the price is the driving factor, get the KX, but otherwise get the 450 XCF/SX. The KTM 450 beats the KX because of electric start and a bit more power. It beats the KTM 500 because of better forks (for snowbiking and maybe dirt) and maybe a bit more power.

I've currently got a KTM 500 with 610 kit and my buddy with his stock 450SXF can give me a run for my money anywhere we go. But I am also 40+lbs heavier than the little runt.
I may also have the need for a little boost bottle I do like the e start option

C

chopper

Nov 27, 2007
Niseko,Japan
mmmm

thats a hard one, I'm in the same boat, i thought **** id love to get one of each, e start is a hard one to pass up …..im getting old and lazy
anyway i did buy one of each, we run a sledd business so no drama, love the KTM though, just dribbles grunt, and e start, yew, i think i will love both, slutty ****ing creature i am
yeep but simple

you want cold hands?
you want to destroy your knee?
you have a budget? -hmmm
You need a KXF

you want warms hands?
you wanna laugh at kick-starters ?
you want to be a euro snob?
you got $$$
KTM my friend

yew

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I've used the xcf 450, sxf 450, xcw500 and xc 300. The 450 sxf/xcf about the best bike IMO. I did really like the 500 and the torque, it may work really well with the bigger tracks. IMO I wouldn't buy anything without E-start. I hate kicking a bike, no matter how easy it starts. Just old and lazy I guess. If you can find a2016 husky fc 450 or 2016 sxf/xcf 450 it would be awesome, but they are almost impossible to find right now. I wouldnt worry too much about the forks as they will all need to be redone for a snowbike if you are going to do anything but sissy riding.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
My time on a 501 Husaberg is limited to just over a day of riding, it was my first time on a snowbike but I normally ride a 450 race bike in the summer. I didn't think it was bad till I rode it back to back with a YZ450F and it was night and day difference for me, felt like I was always riding the balls out of the 501 and the 450 you could just keep in the power and there was more when you needed it. 450 never felt in between gears, so not the exact bikes you are talking about but I'd say they are comparable. I'd go any brand 450 race bike over those 500s...

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Referring back to the very first response you received, madmax asked about your riding style. All of us can tell you what we like for us, but can't even begin to guess what you would like without some basic riding style info. Fill us in a bit and we can be more helpful. One thing you mentioned was your weight and most seem to recommend a long track kit once the rider weight crests 200 pounds. It also makes a difference where you live and will be riding (mountains, hills, flatland? Bottomless cold smoke snow or wetter snow? Etc.)

Aggressive riders tend to gravitate to MX bikes with close ratio trannys and snappy 450 motors (or 300 or 500 2 strokes) and love constantly banging through gears. Many other riders, me included, like big cc bikes with the associated tractor torque, lower rev ceiling, and less shifting of a wide ratio tranny and have a much more laid back riding style. Both categories of bikes have traits that make each a better fit for specific riding styles.

If add ons like lights and heated grips are important, that will narrow it down. If electric start is important, more narrow still.

A little early in the season but renting, demoing, or getting together with a few owners for a ride is the best way to help you figure it out. And then, your preference might change with time. Really, no matter what you get, you'll have a blast as all the different bikes are really close to one another when compared to no bike. Ha.

Last edited:

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
With that, there is a higher probability that you'd prefer an MX bike over a big bore. Sounds like you've decided on the timbersled brand. Which of the four models are you leaning towards?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
My time on a 501 Husaberg is limited to just over a day of riding, it was my first time on a snowbike but I normally ride a 450 race bike in the summer. I didn't think it was bad till I rode it back to back with a YZ450F and it was night and day difference for me, felt like I was always riding the balls out of the 501 and the 450 you could just keep in the power and there was more when you needed it. 450 never felt in between gears, so not the exact bikes you are talking about but I'd say they are comparable. I'd go any brand 450 race bike over those 500s...

nailed it. i've had the Berg 501 too. Sold it. Building a 450 SXF now. the gearing is a killer on the 500s. too far apart, and they just don't rev out. takes the fun out of things.

J
Sep 6, 2014
ok , now that you guys have made the decision process a little easier I am leaning towards the KTM just one more question a 300 2 stroke or the 450 pros and cons cost to rebuild I have had a couple people tell me that the 300 makes good power and there is nothing like the sound of a 2 stroke.

thanks again

Last edited:
S
Feb 12, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
the 300 2 stroke and 450 4 stroke would be really close on the fun factor, but IMO a snow bike has to be EFI for altitude changes. That's a deal breaker for me and I love 2 strokes. Maybe the smart carbs work well. I should check into and maybe make a E-start CR500.

Last edited:

Robster

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden

Where did you get the 610 kit from and how much is it including what is needed?

//Rob

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
the 300 2 stroke and 450 4 stroke would really close on the fun factor, but IMO a snow has to be EFI for altitude changes. That's a deal breaker for me and I love 2 strokes. Maybe the smart carbs work well. I should check into and maybe make a E-start CR500.

A modern race 450 4 stroke has simple FI that only calculates for temperature changes.... not altitude. In order to gain altitude compensation you must turn to aftermarket fuel controllers on FI bikes. It is a well documented fact that FI bikes will overfuel in cold situations (like our snowbike application) and create negative situations such as oil fueling and poor performance. I still greatly prefer the FI+controller approach over carb simply because it's easier for me to deal with electronics than carb tuning. I enjoy statistical hard data and electronic configuration... it's just my personal preference.

Premium Features