• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Podcast for 16'

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Does anyone feel a little unsure about the new A arms strength after listening? Kinda a weird moment there when asked if they were stronger then previous A arms. For some reason kinda have a feeling these things aren't gonna break but everybodies gonna have them tweaked a little after first couple rides. Maybe not though time will tell.

And what was the awkward deal about the muffler?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Does anyone feel a little unsure about the new A arms strength after listening? Kinda a weird moment there when asked if they were stronger then previous A arms. For some reason kinda have a feeling these things aren't gonna break but everybodies gonna have them tweaked a little after first couple rides. Maybe not though time will tell.

Yeah, but right or wrong, we aren't going to change them before they hit the market. Soooo I guess we'll just to see what happens with them.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

I think kind of what they were getting at with the a arms is that making them stronger wasnt really a priority but rather that they made sure that they were weak enough to bend before other parts, while still holding up to some abuse. Which is good in my mind, would you rather bend an a-arm or a bulkhead?

And the muffler, I'm kind of thinking that they definitely could have made it lighter and they know it but they wanna wait a couple of years and use that as an improvement for weight loss to get the sled sub 400 in say 2018, as an incentive for people to buy.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I think kind of what they were getting at with the a arms is that making them stronger wasnt really a priority but rather that they made sure that they were weak enough to bend before other parts, while still holding up to some abuse. Which is good in my mind, would you rather bend an a-arm or a bulkhead?

And the muffler, I'm kind of thinking that they definitely could have made it lighter and they know it but they wanna wait a couple of years and use that as an improvement for weight loss to get the sled sub 400 in say 2018, as an incentive for people to buy.

I agree on the arms. Not so much on the awkward silence about the muffler.

I think the reason for the awkward silence on the muffler is that they didn't want to say that you could have a sub 400 lb sled with an aftermarket can. If they did it would make it look like they were encouraging the consumer to use an aftermarket (and in many cases illegal) exhaust to lighten the sled. That's the way I took it anyway

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Not really sure why they even asked about the muffler? Everyone knows they have to meet noise levels that keep getting lower and lower. What did they think they were going to say....."Put on a 5lb aftermarket can and you will loose 10lbs off the sled" ? That would be like talking to a new diesel truck engineer and asking them about an EGR delete. lol Eric

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK

Their statements on the arms is classic CYA. If they said the new ones were better than the old ones, then they would be admitting something was wrong with the old ones. Towing the company line demands saying that the old ones were great.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com

I wouldn't frett it. I had cromoly arms on my 12 that had a slight bend (bow) and it didn't break. I also had one break right off when I hit a stump really bad with it. No damage to the chassis.

At one point in the conversation they mentioned that it was designed with the chassis as a unit. What I heard (without them actually saying it) is hey these things are meant to break before you do damge to the chassis. Maybe someday Doo will learn how this is done.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
In the Podcast Marty Sampson talked about a slight gear change going a long with the 2.6" track on the Pro. Do you know if I order a SKS with the 2.6" track if that will come with a gear change as well?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
In the Podcast Marty Sampson talked about a slight gear change going a long with the 2.6" track on the Pro. Do you know if I order a SKS with the 2.6" track if that will come with a gear change as well?

I believe so.
All 2.6" tracks should be geared 2.23

All 3.0" tracks should be geared 2.52 (chaincase only)

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I believe so.
All 2.6" tracks should be geared 2.23

All 3.0" tracks should be geared 2.52 (chaincase only)

I guess I was referring to the difference in gearing between the 2015 2.4 track on the new 2016 2.6 track. Just wondering what gearing the SKS will come with because the standard track is a 2.4 but I will upgrade to the 2.6.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
One of my biggest take aways from that podcast is that they balanced the weight left to right to be the same. That was one of the things about the proclimb that I thought was a great improvement. Thanks for posting that.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
One of my biggest take aways from that podcast is that they balanced the weight left to right to be the same. That was one of the things about the proclimb that I thought was a great improvement. Thanks for posting that.

I found that interesting also that they made a point to say both skis have the same weight on them when weighed. The current pro is not even close to being equal. Eric

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
So when we all swap out our cans we will need to take 10-15# off of the clutches to keep it even. For the electric start guys maybe it will still be close after shedding the suitcase for a can.

Or maybe that was just a sales pitch, to further discourage swapping out the suitcase?::face-icon-small-sho

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
So when we all swap out our cans we will need to take 10-15# off of the clutches to keep it even. For the electric start guys maybe it will still be close after shedding the suitcase for a can.

Or maybe that was just a sales pitch, to further discourage swapping out the suitcase?::face-icon-small-sho

I think that it will make a big difference that the factory sled is starting off balanced L-R. Swapping out the can for a lighter weight one will probably not make a huge difference that you would notice, it didn't on my AC.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Do you suppose the sheepish question about the can insinuated that they added weight to the can, so the sled was balanced stock. They asked why this years can was heavier than last years can.

The question being asked is why aren't the electronics, and oil tank centralized to equalize the weight. If you put a pro on the scales the PTO side is way heavier than the MAG side.

Either way the sleds flat work. So not much to complain about.

Premium Features