• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Ford Super Duty uping the ante

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
440 hp and 860 hp. Beats the HO/Aisin Cummins by 10 ft lbs but 55 hp. The real question is will actually keep up with the Duramax? The Duramax has been spanking the 6.7 Powerstroke since its intro. The Cummins hadn't kept up till the Aisin version came out.

Hopefully the new turbo fixes the issues they have been having the current turbos.

I'm also wondering if they have fixed fuel system? Seems Ford has had trouble with the CP4 pumps. And from what I read Ford doesn't want to take care of customer on it.

The Duramax uses the same CP4 pump yet they don't have any issues? Seems odd.

Also, the Superduty has the worst interior and super soft frame. The truck is really showing its age. Definitely in need of updates. The Ram and new 15 GM interior are way nicer. I give the nod to the Ram for nicest overall, at least in the Laramie trim.

I'm thinking I'm going to buy a 14 Cummins 2500. I like the 15 Duramax powertrain and interior. Just not a fan of the looks of the outside. Come on guys, can't you do better! Also, move the dang DEF tank!

I do not want the first year of Ford's updated diesel. No thanks!

IMO, the Ram has the nicest interior, best ride in the 2500, best looking exterior and easiest to work on under the hood. The Cummins is solid, just not as lively as the Duramax in stock form. I feel its best overall truck out there in the heavy duties.

Just my 2 cents. I'm driving an Ecoboost right now. Love it, just wish I could get that motor in an F250. Would rather have that then the diesel, but Ford isn't building it.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a 2011 Denali Duramax. I really like the truck. Awesome power train and fun to drive. Yeah, we always want more HP but I agree with others. Let's see them get better (real) MPG savings. Interesting that Ford continues to dyno more HP/torque but still doesn't mange better real world tests.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Im a Ford guy that bought a 13 dmax Denali. I love my truck but I give Ford lots of credit for being the only one building their own diesel engine. Given some time I tihnk it gives them an advantage. Its the old Henry Ford vertical integration in play.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Reading the duramax forums I've seen hardly any pump failures.

Read the Powerstroke forums and there are a lot. But ford refused to pay for a lot of them. Along with the injectors and other fuel system components.

GM is at least stepping up and taking care of its customers.

After having a Vp44 Cummins truck and worrying about the pump leaving you standed, I don't want to worry about that. I never had an issue but I'm ordering a 14 Cummins shortly and it's nice to not have to worry about the very reliable cp3.

K

kingofthemountain

Dec 21, 2008
Golden, Colorado
Since the early 2000's or so the hp increases have been pretty much worthless to me. Sure there is the exception in somebody that hauls these monster 6 sled 5th wheels with water and fuel tanks and just a ridiculous amount of weight, but for most of us it's unnecessary. I really like the direction ram is going with the half ton diesel at what, like 28 mpg or something? Sure it will decrease with a trailer but I see every possibility of being high teens in mild conditions. I would like to see more r&d in that direction

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Since the early 2000's or so the hp increases have been pretty much worthless to me. Sure there is the exception in somebody that hauls these monster 6 sled 5th wheels with water and fuel tanks and just a ridiculous amount of weight, but for most of us it's unnecessary. I really like the direction ram is going with the half ton diesel at what, like 28 mpg or something? Sure it will decrease with a trailer but I see every possibility of being high teens in mild conditions. I would like to see more r&d in that direction

HP increases worthless??? Huh? My whole life is about HP increases. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning. Where am I? Is this the snowest forum? The place motorheads unite and pursue trivial topic's and dream about bigger and faster stuff? What kind of a world do we live in that HP increases are worthless?

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
HP increases worthless??? Huh? My whole life is about HP increases. It's what gets me out of bed in the morning. Where am I? Is this the snowest forum? The place motorheads unite and pursue trivial topic's and dream about bigger and faster stuff? What kind of a world do we live in that HP increases are worthless?

Well said! Life would be so boring if all we had to talk about was..... Wait its all about horsepower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Well said! Life would be so boring if all we had to talk about was..... Wait its all about horsepower

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
as much as we all like to joke about it, honestly, how often, if ever on newer trucks do you need to go WOT besides just horsing around? they have done just about everything a guy needs very practically.

I love my HP like any guy does, but we are at a point where I could see some focus in other directions being much more practical for the long run. IE capable half ton, killer milage. Im rocking an '00 7.3 ford, and althought i love it, its terribly impractical, i just wanted something that can do the 3 place trailer, or sled deck without being tapped out, but 99% of the time im cruising around empty throwing money away.

R

RMKED

Jan 31, 2010
Woods Cross, Utah
www.ksl.com
I love my HP like any guy does, but we are at a point where I could see some focus in other directions being much more practical for the long run. IE capable half ton, killer milage. Im rocking an '00 7.3 ford, and althought i love it, its terribly impractical, i just wanted something that can do the 3 place trailer, or sled deck without being tapped out, but 99% of the time im cruising around empty throwing money away.

I was in that same boat for a few years. Had a 99.5 7.3 for towing the 31' camp trailer. Sold the trailer off a few years ago and kept the fuel hog (35" tires didn't help matters) around because it was paid for. I was spending more in a month on fuel than what my new truck payment is. Why by diesel for .50 a gallon more that 88 octane and get half the mileage as a bad *** ford V8? Best jump I have ever made. HP is not everything, but it sure is nice to have when you need it. There are days I miss the power of my modded 7.3, but those days are very limited.

Last edited by a moderator:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
a

DING DING DING!

Thank you very much.

1 day a week we haul a packed trailer in the winter.
In a good year that is maybe 16 fully loaded pulls for the season.

The other 350 days of driving I am paying through the nose for capability I am NOT using!!

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
We each have our opinions and reasons for the type of truck we buy, diesel or gas, 1/2 ton or larger.

I for one, will never go back to a gas engine in a truck I use for towing. My '09 D-max smokes my '97 7.4L in mileage and towing ability.

Premium Features