• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Diesel Tundra vs The Rest

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
so? who cares? thats like saying not very many people buy mountain snowmachines so the manufactuers should just make garbage mountain sleds and only make good trail sleds...but its ok...because only a few people buy mountains sleds

Not the Same and I'm not even making that argument. I'm simply saying that so many people get tied up in these numbers. Most people are towing far less than 30k. So many people buy a 3/4 ton+ and could really tow their setup with a half ton. :)

Of course another 35% (just a guess) have no idea how much weight they do or don't tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Roff have you been the victim of a plethora of Ford Superduty and Toyota Tundra frame failures due to this inadequacy? Or are you just being an idiot? Honest question....

I will admit I am no Ford fan, but I would definitely not disregard them simply because of frame design. No point in fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
But the Chevy was the one with the plush loose feel in the frame and suspension. And it has a c channel frame. My ford is stone solid loaded or empty. Just my 2

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
Roff have you been the victim of a plethora of Ford Superduty and Toyota Tundra frame failures due to this inadequacy? Or are you just being an idiot? Honest question....

I will admit I am no Ford fan, but I would definitely not disregard them simply because of frame design. No point in fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

when people put these frames to work they dont take it very well

poor tundra and ford fans

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
when people put these frames to work they dont take it very well
To be honest, the only trucks I have personally seen have frame failures were the 90's Dodge diesels where the whole front clips starts to separate from the the rest of the truck. I have seen lots of Tacoma's warrantied during the frame rust recalls, but never seen one actually snap like the dodge's did. Fords had weak frames back in the 80's and could never get the body lines to match up, but never seen a problem with a newer Superduty even tho I would enjoy a chance to bash them. I'm sure you have a ton of relevant experience tho......

.....not

C

Clumax

Oct 10, 2011
Manitoba, Canada
You might, but very very very few people tow 30,000 lbs.

10 2500lb silage bales. On a 26'' tri axle.

The advertised 30,000lbs the rams are 'rated' for I believe total vehicle/trailer/load combined weight. Your right. Few do haul that. Even less regularly.
On the bright side. The larger the loads these trucks are built for the better they'll handle all the normal loads the average population is hauling. Sled trailers n camper. No more white knuckles

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Dodges weight rating is for towing not gcvw.

The problem is that it's tough to put that much weight on a trailer without going over the rear axle rating or even. The tongue weight rating. You need a special trailer to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
To be honest, the only trucks I have personally seen have frame failures were the 90's Dodge diesels where the whole front clips starts to separate from the the rest of the truck. I have seen lots of Tacoma's warrantied during the frame rust recalls, but never seen one actually snap like the dodge's did. Fords had weak frames back in the 80's and could never get the body lines to match up, but never seen a problem with a newer Superduty even tho I would enjoy a chance to bash them. I'm sure you have a ton of relevant experience tho......

.....not

silly silly...

bootz1981

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2008
zap, nd
my 2014 i ordered is coming with 4:10 gears, who told you 3:73 is the only gears available. i have owned 8 duramaxes since 2002 and all have had 4:10 gears

as a matter of fact it comes standard with 4:10 and costs you 100 bucks to get 3:73

Last edited:
R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
Ok here it is any Government Motors truck is, has and always will be a glorified 4 wheel drive el comino! Now days they are powered buy a Isuzu diesel! Dodge may have the power but are not designed to take the constant beating that daily abuse of heavy hauling on and off road use has on a truck! I know from years of experience the Fords just hold up! They always have and always will! Oh and as far as the gear ratio is concerned 3:73 GM and 4:10 Dodge are your only lower gear options! Also the only heavy haul tow package with dual rear axle for 2014 dodge cummins is AISIN TRANS package! Just a little FYI!

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I love when people bring up the "government motors" and it's usually only ignorant ford owners. But you do realize that ford did borrow money not for a bailout like what gm did but ford did borrow money and they were supposed to use it to make more environmental friendly cars such as hybrids. Gm has paid back 23 billion of the 49 that was borrowed but the US treasury owns 500 million shares of gm once their stock goes up the rest will have been paid back and then some. But fords loan from all of our tax payers has not been paid back. Obama is the one that was backing up ford so in essence your backing up Obama. And by the way gm OWNS 60% of Duramax Isuzu owns 40%. But yet it's funny the 6.0 ford and the 6.4 haven't been anything out of the world. Their new 6.7 still isn't even proven yet! But duramax has a proven engine and transmission that works. Ryan lemme put it this way so maybe you can understand it a little better. Ford is like a polaris it's a sweet chassis great interior awesome truck but under the hood is still a little iffy. GM is like an m series cat it's a little outdated (until 2015) but has a proven and great motor under the hood. Like I've said before all 3 trucks have their pros and cons it comes down to preference.

Last edited:

Ford428CJ

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Face it.... They all have there own problems. I dont care what you buy. Ford, Chevy or Dodge.... None of them are perfect and dont suffer from some sort of problems.... Just say'n

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
my 2014 i ordered is coming with 4:10 gears, who told you 3:73 is the only gears available. i have owned 8 duramaxes since 2002 and all have had 4:10 gears

as a matter of fact it comes standard with 4:10 and costs you 100 bucks to get 3:73

Where are you getting your information on current trucks????

Duramax comes with 3:73 only, it's been like that for a few years now.

6.0 gas has the option of 3:73 or 4:10

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT

THIS IS INCORRECT. ALL DURAMAX TRUCKS COME WITH 3.73. HAS BEEN THIS WAY SINCE THEY CAME OUT.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
OK Chris,

The Duratrash is still An Isuzu product designed by Isuzu and used by both GM, Isuzu and about half a dozen other Asian and European companies! Next is the bailout oh boy so Ford takes another route GM, Chrysler take the bailout. All three where pressed into emissions based tax and penalties threats and an agreement with the EPA, USDA to use government money already set aside for agricultural based vehicles such as pickup trucks to implement use of ethanol based fuels and other environmental friendly investments so the BIG THREE could focus on Hybrids to meet EPA standard changes! As far as the 6.0 POWERCHOKE is concerned take off the EGR let her breathe and minimize the back pressure on the variable vein turbo and program with a TCH the 6.0 is hands down a better engine than the 7.3!

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
In that case for you it's pretty sad then when a "duratrash" still out performs a and outlasts a ford;)

But on a serious note ford people can't say they don't like gm due to the fact that their "government motors" fords no better I think we can agree on that.

I normally don't keep arguing over something so stupid like this but I couldn't help myself this time

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i'll take a "government motors" rig over the "mexican motors" p-stroke any day. the duramax is a joint venture between gm and isuzu not an isuzu jap motor crammed into a chevy like most under edumacated furd owners think. the rough castings of the crank, cam etc. come from isuzu but they are machined and built right here in the u.s. of a not like the p-stroke which from my understanding is built in mexico. RCR3 is the first person i've ever heard, including die hard ford guys, that have ever claimed the 6.0 was in any way better than the 7.3 powerstroke. every ford guy i've ever met will happily admit that the 6.0 was one of if not the worst diesel engine put in a pickup. a far as the EGR causing all the problems because of to much backpressure for the vvt turbo, in 04.5 gm used the exact same turbo(with an added sensor) in the lly with an egr and cooler but you dont hear of turbo failures on the lly like you do on the 6.0 powerchoke. and then there was the bright idea to run only 4 head bolts per cylinder on a high compression diesel engine in the 6.0, but i guess that had nothing to do with the problems of the 6.0 either. i mean hell my 5 hp briggs n' stratton on my push mower even has 6 head bolts. say whatever you want, but there is a reason that the dmax/allison is the most proven and reliable diesel pickup on the market today and there must be a reason that GM is the #1 selling automaker in the world.

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
To add to the pile, when is this govt stock going to go up. That's like telling your banker as soon as I'm worth more than I was yesterday you will be paid back. Furthermore, while we are off topic from op, why wasn't the general public offered this stock when they resold it. Only govt officials were eligible for the bailout stock if I remember.

Premium Features