• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Diesel Tundra vs The Rest

S

Suprx125

Dec 21, 2012
Damn

You had me all excited.

I thought they had released the diesel Tundra to the US

Toyotas 4.5 litre V8 twin turbo diesel would be perfect for the Tundra

They are going to have diesel Ram 1500 pretty soon though.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Whats so wrong with a open C-channel frame? What do you think semi trucks have? Do you know how much weight boxing a frame in adds? If they can make a strong C-channel frame, more power to them.

Don't you understand that we are lucky to have members here that are far more intelligent than teams of mechanical engineers?:pound:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
are you saying the c channel is better than a fully boxed truck chasis

Advantages & disadvantages to both.

But what I'm saying is that I would feel much safer in a truck designed by Ford's engineering team than some keyboard clown.

C

Clumax

Oct 10, 2011
Manitoba, Canada
I care about weight! Ever think that more weight might affect your fuel mpg? I don't know about you, but I'd rather put my money into my sled than my fuel tank.

Weight is an interesting topic with trucks.

Half tons. Grocery getters sure. Save a couple hundred pounds to push fuel economy.

In the 1 ton, With 22,000lbs of bales on the flat deck mmm yes ill take added (x) lbs of structural beef.

Then someone mentioned highway tractors... 42 ton of canola seed on a super B. strength first weight of truck second.
Now fancy materials could be used to keep tractor n trailer weights down so payload could be increased, i think we know from the light weight sleds that we pay for those exotic materials

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
so trucks have been using c-channel for 100years successfully, but now in the last few years it is not good enough? so what your tellin me is that my '97 tacoma with a mostly boxed frame is a far cry stronger than my 05 3500 dmax with a c-channel frame? and all this time i been using the dmax to pull the trailers, risking it breaking in half when i had a much stronger boxed frame taco i coulda used.

p.s. toyotas are gay

C

Clumax

Oct 10, 2011
Manitoba, Canada
Chevys are ONLY available in 3:73 gears so WHAT choice did they have? STOCK that is.

Chev 1 ton... Only available in 3:73?
I dont believe it. You should confirm this. If that IS true... Well... Somebody needs to give their head a shake. 30,000lbs gvw at 60 mph. Your not using your range of gears.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
GMC/Chevy are only available with the 3.73 gear ratio on a Diesel motor. If you get the 6.0 gasser you can get 4.10 gears.

Either way that all came down to gear ratio. The Ford is using 4.30 gear ratio. Clearly it is built to tow more weight faster, but your fuel economy is going to suffer. Is it a big deal that over 7 miles or whatever it is it beats the GM by 25 seconds? What if the Ford is getting 6 MPG while towing that and the GM is getting 9 MPG?

Put the Ford on there with a 3.73 ratio or even 4.10 ratio and you can bet your *** the Ford is slower.

Be happy we have options.

C

Clumax

Oct 10, 2011
Manitoba, Canada
GMC/Chevy are only available with the 3.73 gear ratio on a Diesel motor. If you get the 6.0 gasser you can get 4.10 gears.

Either way that all came down to gear ratio. The Ford is using 4.30 gear ratio. Clearly it is built to tow more weight faster, but your fuel economy is going to suffer. Is it a big deal that over 7 miles or whatever it is it beats the GM by 25 seconds? What if the Ford is getting 6 MPG while towing that and the GM is getting 9 MPG?

Put the Ford on there with a 3.73 ratio or even 4.10 ratio and you can bet your *** the Ford is slower.

Be happy we have options.

I learned something today

halffast800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2011
Hazel SD
I do. I had a Chevy 3500 with a 12 ft flatbed. Frame was weak and body roll made it scary to drive even empty. It was pathetic when pulling a forklift and trailer.
I bought a new 4 door f350 last year with an 8 ft bed on it. Weighs 10000lbs empty. Load my 36ft gooseneck flatbed trailer with a full load and it comes in at 41500. Feels really stable. Same wheelbase. And I don't have 12" of c channel hanging under my door for strength like my Chevy.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
so trucks have been using c-channel for 100years successfully, but now in the last few years it is not good enough? so what your tellin me is that my '97 tacoma with a mostly boxed frame is a far cry stronger than my 05 3500 dmax with a c-channel frame? and all this time i been using the dmax to pull the trailers, risking it breaking in half when i had a much stronger boxed frame taco i coulda used.

p.s. toyotas are gay

i bet that chevy will shake dat *** like the tundra did in that ford ad...

poor diesel tundra fans

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
I do. I had a Chevy 3500 with a 12 ft flatbed. Frame was weak and body roll made it scary to drive even empty. It was pathetic when pulling a forklift and trailer.
I bought a new 4 door f350 last year with an 8 ft bed on it. Weighs 10000lbs empty. Load my 36ft gooseneck flatbed trailer with a full load and it comes in at 41500. Feels really stable. Same wheelbase. And I don't have 12" of c channel hanging under my door for strength like my Chevy.

yes...diesel tundras are made for comfort...instead of making a suspension they make a chassis suspension...its cheaper that way...and it makes it ride nice on the way over to walmart

Premium Features