• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking about ordering a new Enclosed Sled Trailer...

L
May 15, 2009
One of things on a Trails West trailer that I didn't care for when I looked at them was that the floor was not level thru out the trailer. Now this was a bumper pull and a couple of years ago, so they may have changed since then. There were other things that I didn't care for, but that could be said about any trailer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One of things on a Trails West trailer that I didn't care for when I looked at them was that the floor was not level thru out the trailer. Now this was a bumper pull and a couple of years ago, so they may have changed since then. There were other things that I didn't care for, but that could be said about any trailer.

That "Curved Floor" is kinda their Signature Item isn't it??
I also remember the first time I walked into one of their trailers thinking this is the oddest thing I have seen.
DSC_2485-1024x680.jpg

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I really like the looks of the trails west and they seem to be built very well. I really like the idea of the in floor heating to dry off the sleds. And the 28' bumper pull trailer weighs 4200 lbs the gooseneck 28' weighs 5600 lbs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I really like the looks of the trails west and they seem to be built very well. I really like the idea of the in floor heating to dry off the sleds. And
the 28' bumper pull trailer weighs 4200 lbs
the gooseneck 28' weighs 5600 lbs.

Where do they mention FLOOR HEATING??

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
Chris;
I bought a used 07 Mirage Extreme Snow. It was special ordered. The original owner had the fuel door put higher up on the sides of the trailer. Look at a fuel pump at a station and see where the hose comes out from it .It's up high. Makes sense to put the fuel doors higher up. Also my walk in door in in the vee nose of the trailer. seems odd at first but up don't have to crawl over sleds to get in. I would get their insulted package ,even though the insulation is only about 1/8 inch thick. Also order a 30,000 BTU furnace, mine is only 19,000 and could use some more heat. Order or make more seats. Also the work bench is nice. I have a 30 gallon propane tank mounted under the trailer. Also a 38 gallon fuel tank mounted in between the axles.Has it's own fuel pump and nozzle like at a gas station. Only problem is the the fuel pumps the come with them pump slow. It needs a bigger 12 volt fuel pump. My trailer is a little on the narrow side. Now they make wider ones which helps. On the inside of the trailer I used 1/8in aluminum diamond tread about a foot tall to line the walls. Going to used the rest of the diamond to redo the gas doors and fuel pump doors. They are made quite thin. I also added a power converter and 110 outlets. Keeps the batteries inside charged up when connect to shore power. Added more of those grip strips to both front and rear ramps. I am going to use thick clear plastic that hangs in coolers and and screw in down so you don't get a bunch of snow,dirt ,rocks in the bottom of the door frame.
go for the brighter lights also. Hope this helps

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris;
I bought a used 07 Mirage Extreme Snow. It was special ordered. The original owner had the fuel door put higher up on the sides of the trailer. Look at a fuel pump at a station and see where the hose comes out from it .It's up high. Makes sense to put the fuel doors higher up.

So on the new Mirage, isn't the fuel hose storage door right down at the BOTTOM of the trailer?

Also my walk in door in in the vee nose of the trailer. seems odd at first but up don't have to crawl over sleds to get in. I would get their insulted package ,even though the insulation is only about 1/8 inch thick. Also order a 30,000 BTU furnace, mine is only 19,000 and could use some more heat. Order or make more seats.

Not a clue what kind of insulation the different companies are using.
1/8th thick seems nearly worthless though?

So far as I know they only offer the
"30k BTU Ducted Forced Air Heater"
So it looks like they came around on that one.

Also the work bench is nice. I have a 30 gallon propane tank mounted under the trailer. Also a 38 gallon fuel tank mounted in between the axles.Has it's own fuel pump and nozzle like at a gas station. Only problem is the the fuel pumps the come with them pump slow. It needs a bigger 12 volt fuel pump.

They are now shipping them with a 38 Gallon Fuel System
Z

My trailer is a little on the narrow side. Now they make wider ones which helps. On the inside of the trailer I used 1/8in aluminum diamond tread about a foot tall to line the walls.

Ya, I am thinking that is a really WISE choice for any sled trailer.

Going to used the rest of the diamond to redo the gas doors and fuel pump doors. They are made quite thin. I also added a power converter and 110 outlets. Keeps the batteries inside charged up when connect to shore power.

Trailer says...
110v Electrical Outlet
But no further info posted.
Not a clue what they are really offering there.

Added more of those grip strips to both front and rear ramps. I am going to use thick clear plastic that hangs in coolers and and screw in down so you don't get a bunch of snow,dirt ,rocks in the bottom of the door frame.

Seems like a saw a couple trailers last year at the show that were using that. I know on my trailer right now its ALWAYS a pain as that joint gets FILLED with snow that turns into ICE. Covering it would be a great idea.

go for the brighter lights also.

Is it POSSIBLE to have TOO MUCH LIGHT?

Hope this helps
THANKS for your comments.
The more people that voice their opinion the better my chances of really ending up with a GREAT WELL THOUGHT OUT TRAILER.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I would pass on the extra money for vynil interior walls. Get the plywood and paint it white. It may not look as good initially but the first time a bike or anything falls over and knocks a hole in it you'll wish it was plywood rather than 1/8 inch paneling.
ceiling yes - walls no

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Yep. Bike had a tiedown come loose and handlebar poked a hole in the wall. That worked out as that was about the same spot I wanted to put the spare tire. Problem solved.
Not sure how but got another hole beneath the heater.
Also put roller wheels under the back end to alleviate dragging on steep approaches

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Goose Neck is clearly the best option for trailering.
But I am just NOT ready to give up the use of the truck bed on a day to day basis and remove the shell.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I bought a trails west last year and have mostly been pleased with it. The biggest complaints was the fact that the fuel station that I ordered with the trailer wasn't sealed to the exterior and the box where the hose is stored filled up with snow and road grime. They gave me panels to seal it better, but it is still lacking IMO. The second issue is the fact that I ordered it with the HD car package that includes a tie down system the length of the trailer. It was installed with wood screws, which is totally unacceptable for tying down a vehicle.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Riverside Boot & Saddle out of Blackfoot is a Mirage & Trails West dealer. Diamond Quality Trailers in IF is a Mirage dealer.

Go take a look at the Trails West stuff. I agree, they are a well built trailer and I was seriously considering the Burandt Edition 28' GN, but with an overall length of 35' 6", it wouldn't fit in the driveway, a $20K+ price tag, and a "base model" empty weight of 5600#, I decided to go with what I got and am happy with that decision.

Oh and about the weight and 60 MPH wind comment, any enclosed sled trailer, loaded or not, isn't going to fare to well on slick roads with that much wind. Also, my trailer will not be leaving town with out at least 2 sleds in it.

As far as after-the-fact modifications, I have done some to mine as I have found some of those items I wanted cheaper to buy online than what the MFG was charging. The installation of those items is extremely easy if you have an ounce of mechanical ability.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya, there really is no good solution to the side loading problem of a FLAT sided trailer in HIGH WINDS.

Best solution is to just wait for the winds to subside a bit.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Look at the bumper pull snow check. It has way more stuff than your gn pictures. I have a 3 place charmac,that I was happy with, but what separates the trails west from that or the mirage is a one piece door and fuel doors. It doesnt have crappy jamb built out of aluminum extrusion. They look fine to start with but trust me, it doesn't last. Also, no screws on the exterior. The corners are built cleaner. No crappy screw strip, with the plastic or rubber, on bottom. My camper has the same strip up top where the roof rolls over the side and the piece already blew off. Comparing them to the trails west is like comparing a king ranch to an xlt or my raptor toy hauler to my parents horse trailer camper. If you want to see nice look at a horse trailer camper. they also diamond plated the frame where steel trailers look so crappy after a year or two. There is also a heavy plastic strip that covers the hinges. A big plus is no cables like on the mirage. I have seen people take them out.
I really wanted the gn but it was 23900 vs. 17900. The gn would be great for running asphalt but in my country they won't work as good. They don't track the same as a bumper pull. There are some spots we go,where it is narrow, and if you can't get out of the icy ruts to swing wider you are going to rub the bridge.

Christopher, pm me your cell and I will text you the pictures and you can post them. They are on my phone and I don't know how.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Look at the bumper pull snow check. It has way more stuff than your gn pictures. I have a 3 place charmac,that I was happy with, but what separates the trails west from that or the mirage is a one piece door and fuel doors. It doesnt have crappy jamb built out of aluminum extrusion. They look fine to start with but trust me, it doesn't last.

Also, no screws on the exterior.

The corners are built cleaner. No crappy screw strip, with the plastic or rubber, on bottom. My camper has the same strip up top where the roof rolls over the side and the piece already blew off. Comparing them to the trails west is like comparing a king ranch to an xlt or my raptor toy hauler to my parents horse trailer camper. If you want to see nice look at a horse trailer camper.

they also diamond plated the frame where steel trailers look so crappy after a year or two.

There is also a heavy plastic strip that covers the hinges. A big plus is no cables like on the mirage. I have seen people take them out.

I really wanted the gn but it was 23900 vs. 17900. The gn would be great for running asphalt but in my country they won't work as good. They don't track the same as a bumper pull. There are some spots we go,where it is narrow, and if you can't get out of the icy ruts to swing wider you are going to rub the bridge.

Christopher, pm me your cell and I will text you the pictures and you can post them. They are on my phone and I don't know how.

Thanks for your comments.
Several of them are ON my list!!

You can e-mail the photos to me
Christopher@snowestonline.com

Will also send a PM.

Last edited:
Premium Features