• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" Track for the Pro

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I'm super happy with the Roosterbuilt clutch kit I'm running with the X-3 163". As MH said these tracks were designed to be run well with stock power levels but are durable enough to run at higher HP levels too. I was worried the track would take the snap out of the Pro and it didn't at all. Even in super deep snow I could spin that track, it never bogged then engine out. My buddies running turbos all year have all their paddles and the tracks are in excellent shape. Pretty impressive!

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
anybody know if their gonna offer the 3'' in a 155 15 ?
or does a guy buy the 156 16'' and cut it down ?

oh great info everybody keep it coming we've entered the wrench
season !

My dealer says yes. I ordered the 155, I will add a short extension and a big wheel kit if they don't. He seemed pretty certain they would...

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
For the 7 tooth on a chaincase equipped sled...you have to mod the chaincase to run the 7 tooth drivers.

LH.. I hear ya on the smaller driver thing... but this has become much less of an issue since the introduction of the drum-molded tracks and even more with the single ply tracks.... more durable and turn easier...
BUT... yes a larger driver will turn easier than a smaller driver... the degree of difference has changed in recent years.

Run the track with near factory tension and do not be tempted to run it with any "free hang" distance between the rails and track.

The X3's have proven to be a very durable track... much more so than the platten-molded previous models (which include the current 156" platten-molded). The platten molded tracks do not turn as easily as drum-molded... which is why Camoplast is moving towards all drum-molded tracks (HUGE retooling costs).

well i am going to give you my experience with the 3in track. now remember that i have a 2 ply 174 that we cut down to a 15. running the track tight doesn't work better period. the sled wouldn't even roll going down hill. i loosened my track up and have about 2in of sag in it when i pickup on the back end. belt life is better and clutches run cooler. i'm sorry eric i normally agree with you on most everything but who ever you are getting this info from is completely full of it. now if they are going to come out with a single ply track that is a 174 it might work better then the 2 ply ones running tight.

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
I have seen two Pros with the track on. One ran the smaller drivers and one had a rolled chaincase (12 Pro). They work very well. Furthermore, Camoplast is going to make the track with center punched holes so you can run an extrovert driver in the middle (like the current Polaris setup). This will allow you to not have to put the anti-stab kit on. I don't like the anti-stab kits so this will be the setup for me in the fall. Call Carl's about it. They set one up with the center punched track several months ago (13 Pro Turbo).

The 13 Pro that I rode with was a bone stock shop sled. It pulled the track well even with stock clutching and gearing at 10,000'. It was a little down on RPM compared to my 13 but I have Carl's clutching, venting, etc. which might have made a little difference. We changed the weights out on the hill and the RPM came up about where it should have been.

As far as performance, it is no contest. The 3" track climbs better, sidehills better and gets up on the snow better. I don't see any downside to the track. I wish that I could run 8 tooth drivers but short of rolling the belt drive which costs a whole bunch of $, it is not possible.

The added benefit of the center punched track is that it is a couple of pounds lighter too. The 3" track is already lighter than the Camoplast Extreme 2.5" track.

Go for it. You will not regret it.

If they are coming with a 3" track with the center whole punched what drivers do you use? I'm planning on doing this to my 13 this summer yet. Looking at avoids website I just see the extrovert drivers requiring trimming the rails. What's the Better option?

Also I've heard a fee say they were happy with the rooster built clutching. My question is was that with the stock secondary? I have the kit from Team for the Tied clutch that I ran last year with Mtx weights in the primary. Will I need to change my helix in the tied clutch for the 3" track?

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
3" track for the Pro

Here's a picture of 7 tooth 3" drivers for the center punched track. We made a few sets of these last year to try them out. They worked very well. No cutting of the rails required. The anti-ratchet points are .25" longer than stock, looser track. Plus with no bare shaft showing in the middle, no ice build up. We made some in the stock 8 tooth 2.86" pitch. They worked well also. We can make them in any pitch, no of teeth and shaft size. They aren't on our site yet but are available. Avid Products

Stock 2.86 8 tooth 001.JPG IMG_20130328_193146_607.jpg

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I like that design much better! I would rather not cut my rails and these give you the best of both worlds! Great job Avid! You should definitely get it up on your website.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
2013 PRO163 WITH Booie Tial Turbo & 7 tooth drivers w 3" track

7 tooth drivers work well with the 3" x3 track, small issue though my Bro sheared his QD drive belt and we had to tow it off the MTN. the 3" Track pulled hard, and was a bear to get back to the trail . I ruined a drive belt on my Twisted Turbo M8 @ 10 psi pulling it out with 12 " of fresh. hindsight being 20/20 we should of cut off the ruined QD belt but didn't since the track turned.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Is the diameter of the 7 tooth drivers close to the same diameter of the rear wheels? Changing from 8 tooth to 7 tooth drivers and saying it will wear the track out is like saying if you don't run at least 8" rear wheels it will destroy your track. A 155 3" would be awesome.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I am very excited about this. I bet a 15_ X3 on a Pro would be a riot!

So Robbie, is it going to be a 156 X3 with the center punched out? Is that what I'm gathering? Judging by the 162 X3 weight, that track should be pretty light as well!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Here's a picture of 7 tooth 3" drivers for the center punched track. We made a few sets of these last year to try them out. They worked very well. No cutting of the rails required. The anti-ratchet points are .25" longer than stock, looser track. Plus with no bear shaft showing in the middle, no ice build up. We made some in the stock 8 tooth 2.86" pitch. They worked well also. We can make them in any pitch, no of teeth and shaft size. They aren't on our site yet but are available. Avid Products

Nice job.
I'll be trying an X3 on my sled. When will the center punched tracks be available?

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
What does the 162 X3 weight? How much lighter are the center punched tracks?

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
Where is this center punched 3" track info coming from, and since when is there going to be a 15" wide version in the 156? News to us over here….

S

scrfce

Oct 10, 2009
bc
So is there gonna be a center punched 162x3x15 for the polaris? Havent seen anything yet and i wanna order the 3" this month but if theres a center punched track on the horizon id rather go that route as im sure its a few pounds lighter

jdtech65

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2008
Northwest IA
So is there gonna be a center punched 162x3x15 for the polaris? Havent seen anything yet and i wanna order the 3" this month but if theres a center punched track on the horizon id rather go that route as im sure its a few pounds lighter

The 162 with the center punched will be available around end of august /beginning of September. I'm holding off tell then to get mine. This was both from Avid and Carls cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Soooo what does the newer single ply challenger Extreme 2.5 weight??? All I can find is 66lbs, can that be right? The 2.5 is 7lbs heavier then the X3?? If so I'm gonna be rethinking what track I am gronna run next year.

S

scrfce

Oct 10, 2009
bc
The 162 with the center punched will be available around end of august /beginning of September. I'm holding off tell then to get mine. This was both from Avid and Carls cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Now hopefully that timelines accurate, unlike the steady 3'x156' rumours, and missed release dates on that track

Premium Features