• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Truck - Help

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I had a gasoline generator built into my trailer so my diesel will stay warm wherever it is :p

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Any chance the Chevy had a bad battery? I mean that probably wouldn't effect anything right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I will call my friend with the Chevy and see if he took it into a dealer. He said he was going to, but that was 2 years ago. I will see if there was something wrong or not.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Anyone who claims their brand is the best looks foolish.

Especially so if Dodge is their brand.:face-icon-small-hap

Hey hotshot, did a Dodge owner on this thread claim their brand is the best?
Go back and read the thread... I can help you with the big words so you can better keep up. LOL

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Who knows but could it be that Chevys don't start as easy in very cold temps... could it just be that simple??
Geeze

No it is actually that simple. I see it all the time up in ND. Dmax's are not as good at cold weather starts. Yeah of course anything that is plugged in will start. What matters is when its not plugged in. That is where the cummins shines. My 06 (old truck) not plugged in has started all the way down to -42*F. Ambient temp. Not including wind chill.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
No it is actually that simple. I see it all the time up in ND. Dmax's are not as good at cold weather starts. Yeah of course anything that is plugged in will start. What matters is when its not plugged in. That is where the cummins shines. My 06 (old truck) not plugged in has started all the way down to -42*F. Ambient temp. Not including wind chill.

Yup, mine is an 06. It starts as easy after 3 days in below zero temps (unplugged the entire time) as if it was in 50 degree weather. I'm no diesel expert, but have been told that Dodge uses a different glow plug system.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Yup, mine is an 06. It starts as easy after 3 days in below zero temps (unplugged the entire time) as if it was in 50 degree weather. I'm no diesel expert, but have been told that Dodge uses a different glow plug system.

Yeah they don't use glow plugs. I stated it in a earlier post on this thread. They use a grid heater that heats in the intake air. Its far superior to glow plugs. Uses less power. Faster starts.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Yeah they don't use glow plugs. I stated it in a earlier post on this thread. They use a grid heater that heats in the intake air. Its far superior to glow plugs. Uses less power. Faster starts.

That sounds like what I was told. All I know is what I have shared in this thread trying to help out the original poster. I don't know why Chevy drivers are so insecure. I have had a great experience with my Dodge (and I never said it was the best brand). I thought my experience with a HD Diesel working in a snowmobile environment would be helpful, since this is a snowmobile forum. I accurately described what I saw of the 3 major diesel brand trucks do in unusually cold weather and some guys just can’t take it. Their problem. I have owned at least 12 trucks in my life and only 1 Dodge and like I said earlier, I will probably never own another HD truck brand other than Dodge. Just one guys experience and opinion. Deal with it Chevy dudes!

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
That sounds like what I was told. All I know is what I have shared in this thread trying to help out the original poster. I don't know why Chevy drivers are so insecure. I have had a great experience with my Dodge (and I never said it was the best brand). I thought my experience with a HD Diesel working in a snowmobile environment would be helpful, since this is a snowmobile forum. I accurately described what I saw of the 3 major diesel brand trucks do in unusually cold weather and some guys just can’t take it. Their problem. I have owned at least 12 trucks in my life and only 1 Dodge and like I said earlier, I will probably never own another HD truck brand other than Dodge. Just one guys experience and opinion. Deal with it Chevy dudes!

I think diesel guys are probably the most opinionated of any buyer out there.... I don't know if its because of the money involved or the work that the trucks do. Its actually worse then the Ferrari vs Porsche guys on another forum I'm on. In the end being brand loyal is just foolish.
Ask all my hardcore ford lover uncles how well their 6.0's and 6.4's worked out for them.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Just one guys experience and opinion. Deal with it Chevy dudes!

I would say the same thing to you. I'll I have done is give my opinion. I didn't say the GM's were the best I even said where I think they come up short. Put you keep going and going.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've never had any issues with cold starts on my Dmax up here in Canada. A fresh fuel filter and getting rid of your summer 15w40 oil goes a long way for cold starts....

There's a lot of fear mongering going on in here!

Premium Features