• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Truck - Help

J

Jordo

Nov 3, 2009
Stillwater,MN
Here's my take... was all over the last thread we did on here. I just bought a 12 ram big horn... so not as loaded up as the denallis and latiats etc. But for me to buy a comparable chev or ford it would've been another $5-6k to drive it off the lot. And since I traded a dodge I got better trade in as well.

Never been a huge fan of the chev interior or exterior... too Blah... I liked the ford but just didn't want to spend the money.

They will all do the job just fine... Just buy the one you get the best deal on.

GM's hold there Value better and have higher trade in vaule then Ford and Dodge thats why the total price is higher. Thats of course Comparing Apples to Apples.

If Your open and dont know which one to pick still, I would go with you ever has the better customer service, isnt forcing you to buy, and if there the only dealer ship in town keep it local!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Hey Oregon,

I have a Lance slide in that I put in my Denali. How has your slide in worked for winter camping? Also, I'm curious if you had to do anything special for your Dodge. The Lance dealer told me that the Dodges had to have a provision to the rear suspension for their campers. Something to do with sway - I don't remember the details.

165872_4202938002396_1206907676_n.jpg

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
GM's hold there Value better and have higher trade in vaule then Ford and Dodge thats why the total price is higher. Thats of course Comparing Apples to Apples.

If Your open and dont know which one to pick still, I would go with you ever has the better customer service, isnt forcing you to buy, and if there the only dealer ship in town keep it local!

If you are comparing gassers... I agree. But if you are comparing diesels you are wrong. Go look at comparable 2-3 year old trucks on a lot. They will be pretty close in price. Go look at older diesels (4-6yrs old)... the fords are worthless.

Heres the comparison that I always make. If you buy the dodge for $5-6k less brand new. Then come trade in time you get $1-2k less trade in. You're still ahead $4-5k. Just sayin.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Hey Oregon,

I have a Lance slide in that I put in my Denali. How has your slide in worked for winter camping? Also, I'm curious if you had to do anything special for your Dodge. The Lance dealer told me that the Dodges had to have a provision to the rear suspension for their campers. Something to do with sway - I don't remember the details.

We have been snow camping with this set-up for the last 4 years. We have taken the rig in some pretty serious winter storms and (2 years ago, it was 10 below zero F) New Years eve weekend. I added air bags and a rear anti sway bar and nothing else. This is a BIG and heavy camper. The manufacturer here in bend recommends a 1 ton dually, but I bought 16 ply tires and some very stout al wheels and she handles great. I also tow a heavy boat with the camper on in the summer and have never had an issue. One thing I will say about the Dodge over the other two brands... I have never plugged in the block heater even in the coldest weather and she starts just the same as if it was in the 60's. The Fords and Chevys that are in the same snow parks with us sometimes have problems. It seems Dodge uses a different type of glow plug system.
It's a great rig for the winter or summer.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Hey Oregon,

If you want to change the subject a bit to winter camping (not the truck issue) then there is much more to discuss. I finally have the issues worked out so we can camp for 4 days in below zero weather (kind of rare here) and not freeze up. There are some tricks to it! LOL

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
Don't know if the dodges have this but the GM's stabilitrak with trailer sway control comes in handy at times when the roads get slick. Just remember to turn it off if you're going to be busting through some deep drifts :face-icon-small-win

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
If you want to change the subject a bit to winter camping (not the truck issue) then there is much more to discuss. I finally have the issues worked out so we can camp for 4 days in below zero weather (kind of rare here) and not freeze up. There are some tricks to it! LOL

Another view of the camper.

78eb954bd63a1d9d7b10
[/URL][/IMG]

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I think it was the sway bar that the Lance dealer told me a Dodge would need. My camper is pretty big too. It's 4,000lbs. Yours looks like a load as well. I love the truck campers.

Anyway, I did hijack the thread. I agree that you can get a Dodge cheaper but the GM does have the better resale value. It's too bad you can't get a hybrid of all the interiors with the Dodge cab space and the GM motor/transmission.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I think it was the sway bar that the Lance dealer told me a Dodge would need. My camper is pretty big too. It's 4,000lbs. Yours looks like a load as well. I love the truck campers.

Anyway, I did hijack the thread. I agree that you can get a Dodge cheaper but the GM does have the better resale value. It's too bad you can't get a hybrid of all the interiors with the Dodge cab space and the GM motor/transmission.

I woudn't trade my Dodge for any of the others and I have been a Ford guy for most of my life. Can't beat that Cummins! Like I said earlier, the Fords and Chevys had a hard time starting after several days in sub zero weather not plugged in. I wouldn't like that at any price. I don't really care about the resale argument, and I'm not sure I buy it any way. I suspect this will be my last truck. I have a second truck for hauling wood, plowing snow going to the dump etc. This is my play truck.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm not calling you a liar but my GMC has never been plugged in in Colorado and never saw a problem starting. Some days the plugs took longer but never a problem starting.

M

mchonda2

Apr 14, 2008
Oregon
If i were to buy a new diesel i think i would buy a new Ford 6.7 super duty. Really nice truck! Being a Chevy owner and working as a Ford technician for the last 14 years and going through the 6.0's it would take alot for me to buy a Ford diesel! But the new 6.7 seems to be a good engine so far and the rest of the truck is awesome.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Love my Dodge 1 ton! The camper is a triple slide weighing a little over 5K pounds. It handles great.... with air bags. Great on snow. Not a dually.

78eb954bd63a1d9d7b10
[/URL][/IMG]

Kind of funny that if you put a sled deck with sleds on it weighing less than 1500lbs. on a half ton people rip you apart on here and you have over 5K on a SRW 3500. Isn't that like almost 2x the payload capacity of a SRW 3500? Just curious...

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I'm not calling you a liar but my GMC has never been plugged in in Colorado and never saw a problem starting. Some days the plugs took longer but never a problem starting.

I've never seen a dmax have a problem up in colorado. But lets be honest. It doesn't really get THAT cold out there. Now up in ND out on the oil patch is a different story. You get a day or two or -30*F and the dmax and power stroke have big problems up there. Its fact that the cummins is the best extreme cold weather starter. Mainly because it doesn't use glow plugs and its grid heater takes less juice to get going. So the cummins always has more leftover juice to crank the starter.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've never seen a dmax have a problem up in colorado. But lets be honest. It doesn't really get THAT cold out there. Now up in ND out on the oil patch is a different story. You get a day or two or -30*F and the dmax and power stroke have big problems up there. Its fact that the cummins is the best extreme cold weather starter. Mainly because it doesn't use glow plugs and its grid heater takes less juice to get going. So the cummins always has more leftover juice to crank the starter.

You are right, I'm only comparing it to Colorado but we get negative temps throughout the early winter (January) for about a week at a time. Just saying, I haven't seen issues. It's better to plug them in anyway, everything comes to life faster and warmer. :rockon:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Two years ago we had two weeks of temps in Colorado that were well into the negatives. It hit -38f one night at work. We were easily -20 for two weeks straight. It does get cold here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Kind of funny that if you put a sled deck with sleds on it weighing less than 1500lbs. on a half ton people rip you apart on here and you have over 5K on a SRW 3500. Isn't that like almost 2x the payload capacity of a SRW 3500? Just curious...

Wrong thread! Go derail someone elses thead.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Two years ago we had two weeks of temps in Colorado that were well into the negatives. It hit -38f one night at work. We were easily -20 for two weeks straight. It does get cold here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying that it can't get cold there. But for us that is a normal winter.. we may get a month straight below zero, and a week straight below 30 and that is during the day! Having lived in both places the two are not comparable.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Easy Buddy!!!!! Not trying to derail your thread. I haven't seen the thread with 5K Camper in a 2500lbs. Capacity truck on here... So I was Just asking the question.

Well all that is going to do is start a **** storm, so if your question wasnt answered in the upteenth other threads about 1/2 tons and sled decks then your SHEET out of luck. This isnt a thread about 1/2 ton vs 1 ton. Just saying

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We have a Yukon Denali. It's identical to the tan interior posted above by Fred.
Love it.
But, don't want that interior color for my truck though. Would consider not in tan interior committee.

Poked my head into a Dodge Longhorn the other night. Really like the styling inside. That leather and accent looks great. Don't want the Dodge chassis though.

Love the color of the king ranch leather and black upholstery together. Tired of tan interior. Ready for something new. Don't want to pay for king ranch logo.
Still prefer ford though.

Last edited:
Premium Features