• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Denali HD vs King Ranch Super Duty....................

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
I own a 2012 Dodge longhorn 3500 lifted on 35's. I have always owned king ranches but was sick of Ford service. This Dodge rocks seriously the best pickup I have owned hands down. Interior is sick and body looks mean with bigger tires! Anymore any new Diesel is comparable but I don't have to add that cat piss urea stuff.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I own a 2012 Dodge longhorn 3500 lifted on 35's. I have always owned king ranches but was sick of Ford service. This Dodge rocks seriously the best pickup I have owned hands down. Interior is sick and body looks mean with bigger tires! Anymore any new Diesel is comparable but I don't have to add that cat piss urea stuff.

On the 2012 Dodge trucks you don't have a urea tank?

Is that really true?

If thats true I might be trying to pick up a Dodge here soon.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I guess after doing some web searches, its probably better to have the emissions system on your diesel be DEF than EGR .... At least that lets them tune the diesel for optimal performance and then just clean up the tail pipe as opposed to recycling exhaust gas into a really expensive catalytic converter.

I guess where I live I'm bound by emissions testing regardless so for me I guess a DEF truck is going to have to do.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I guess after doing some web searches, its probably better to have the emissions system on your diesel be DEF than EGR .... At least that lets them tune the diesel for optimal performance and then just clean up the tail pipe as opposed to recycling exhaust gas into a really expensive catalytic converter.

I guess where I live I'm bound by emissions testing regardless so for me I guess a DEF truck is going to have to do.

Exactly, you hit it on the head there. My GMC does use Urea. I just added 2.5 gallons at 5800 miles. That 2.5 cost me $10. I think I can deal with that. You also have the option of buying a programmer and "deleting" both DEF and DPF if you want. I'm happy with stock power and I won't be messing with that anytime soon.

The irony to the Cummins motor is that it only has six cylinders but has the least HP and worst MPG. I really expected the MPG's to be better on that motor than the other two V-8's.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Ok, so I actually went and looked at a Dodge on Saturday ..
3500 series, CC LB, Cummins, Laramie package, etc .... I didn't want the ****kicker longhorn package ...

Nice truck to be sure, but I was sort of turned off by what it was reporting for mileage ... I took it on a 20-mile highway drive between 65-75 mph, and it reported it was only averaging 12.7 MPG .... I realize this was a very short drive, but it made me wonder ...

What is the real deal with mileage on these vehicles? I know they have a **** load of power but if that truck is going to get virtually the same mileage driving unloaded my big block is I can safely assume that the mileage it gets towing will follow suit .... Which makes me question why I would even be looking at a new cummins if it doesn't do any better than that.

So, what is the real deal with the mileage on the latest cummins motors?

Also, please only report mileage on BONE STOCK trucks. I don't care what your truck with 40" tires gets for mileage. I want to know what a bone stock truck off the show room floor gets, as I'm not spending a dime on pointless things like lift kits and power programmers.

Other than that, my observations of the Dodge were generally positive. Nice dash layout, interior is on par with GM or Ford, good MFD .... Nice and quiet .... The 1-ton rode very firm, possibly I should look at a 3/4-ton? IDK ... EIther way I tested the Mega Cab out Vs. the Regular crew cab, and I can't really see any point in buying the mega cab whatsoever. I drove both trucks, adjusted the seat for me ... I'm 6'4" .... Then stopped, and sat immediatley in the back behind the drivers seat .... I had plenty of room with the regular crew cab .... the mega cab I figured I got about 4" more legroom, but I was also giving up 1.5' of bed space. So if I buy one of these, its gonna be the regular crew cab, not the mega cab ...

Anyways .... Whats the deal with the mileage on the cummins?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
thats about right on the new motor. mine bone stock got around that for the first 500 or miles. then loosened up a little and got better. At 2000 miles now and the power is snappier and mileage is improving. bone stock around 14-15 in town and 17-21 hiway depending on speed... really its been all over the board so far. My buddy that bought one last december has been getting in the 18-20 range hiway and he puts a lot of miles on his truck. believe that he has around 16k on his and is what i would call fully broken in. Haven't heard any towing mileage reports from him yet though.

I'm on a forum called dodgetalk too and they say over there that the ecu limits the motor for the first 500 or so miles. And just about every one agrees over there that they really don't do very well until around 10k miles or so.

See if you can find a "limited" edition one... I just found out that they made them too. they are supposed to be all the bells and whistles like the longhorn but not such a rodeo centric interior.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
thats about right on the new motor. mine bone stock got around that for the first 500 or miles. then loosened up a little and got better. At 2000 miles now and the power is snappier and mileage is improving. bone stock around 14-15 in town and 17-21 hiway depending on speed... really its been all over the board so far. My buddy that bought one last december has been getting in the 18-20 range hiway and he puts a lot of miles on his truck. believe that he has around 16k on his and is what i would call fully broken in. Haven't heard any towing mileage reports from him yet though.

I'm on a forum called dodgetalk too and they say over there that the ecu limits the motor for the first 500 or so miles. And just about every one agrees over there that they really don't do very well until around 10k miles or so.

See if you can find a "limited" edition one... I just found out that they made them too. they are supposed to be all the bells and whistles like the longhorn but not such a rodeo centric interior.

I will check that out, thanks .. Good to know the mileage on the Dodge will at least be in the upper-teens range for the most part.

So my next question for everyone is....

What is the real deal on mileage on the Ford and GM diesels?

Again, please refrain from commenting unless you are driving a BONE STOCK truck :)

N
Dec 23, 2008
Worland, Wy

I could be wrong but im pretty sure that all the diesel trucks nowadays have both a def as well as an egr, except for the gm trucks, I could be wrong though. Unless I misunderstood your statement then thats my bad.

TURBOMAN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Morgan, Utah
www.bigskyx.com
2011 6.7 Ford F350 with 6,000 miles on it now. I get between 18-20 miles to the gallon empty and 10-12 pulling my toy hauler. This is hand calculated and the computer is very close also. So far I have added 2.5 gallons of def at a cost of $12 and one oil change. I love the truck and it pulls like crazy. I am sure the reason for the 2 mile to the gallon difference is in MPH difference. The best I have gotten is 21 miles to the gallon and that was 65mph and nice easy driving.

I drove all of them before I bought this truck. I really liked the duramax/allison combo. But the back seat and dash on them sucked compared to the ford and dodge. The dodge does not need def that is true but the research I did showed them to not get as good of mileage as the ford and chev (I have lots of dodge friends). I came from a dodge cummins that I loved so I was a cummins man. The other thing about the dodge that bummed me out was you had to look for the high output motor, it was not standard in 2011. So to compete with the chev and ford 400hp 800 ftlbs you had to look for the correct setup. Also when I was looking the price difference between the ford and dodge was to close, the ford offered more options for the money (rapid heat, sync, built in 5th wheel, locking/auto hubs, elocker snowplow prep and more). I know that dodge has these but the trims I was looking at did not and when I upped the trim to match, the dodge became more money, the chev was a lot more then either. I am sure different areas have different results. The ford 1ton rode/handled better then the dodge 1ton both my wife and I thought, took them on the same bumpy roads at the same time.

The urea/def thing is not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I do know that the ford holds less oil then years past so this helps offset the cost of buying def fluid. That was one other thing I did not like about the chev is the placement of the the def tank. It is on the passenger side and hangs down very low. Next time you are looking at the chevs just glance under and you will see it, the ford def tank is mounted up under the bed out of the way.
All of them cost to much and none of them sponsor me so I drive the one that I like the best and could get the best deal on. It was funny when I bought the truck, I had 3 different dealers all working on trying to get me to buy the same truck. The price difference was $1900 from the best to the worst. Needles to say I bought it from the best priced dealer. The dealer that wanted $1900 more said that there was no way they could sell the truck for that same money, said they would take a loss. LOL next day I went and bought the truck and the high dealer called me to see if I bought the truck, I said yes, they then asked what I paid and I told them, all they could say was good job and a great price. :usa2:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I agree with Turboman on the DEF. It's really not a big deal to add 2.5 gallons at 6,000 miles. Yeah, the tank is protruding on the GM but it's not a big deal to me and you can buy a kit to remove it or to make it smaller.

I also agree that the Ford dash and rear seat is better. But I still believe that the rest of the GM is better (engine, tranny, styling, front seats, technology components, etc). To each their own. For me it would be between the Ford and GM. I think Dodge is too far behind in the performance category. Who knows though, maybe next year they will have the most HP.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
About the pricing. Most of the time any dealer can get any truck. There are times that when you have to go and get a truck there are some added costs. Some dealers won't release holdback, so they have more bargaining power. Getting lowest priced vehicle doesn't always mean you purchased from the best dealer. It is a business they have to make money somewhere. Paying $800 more on a $60,000 vehicle is nothing if that dealer will take better care of you, give you loaners, pickup your vehicle, have cheaper or better service, etc.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Doug, sorry about my fat thumb causing a red thumbs down. It was a great post.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've been trying to find a Dodge 3500 CC LB or 2500 CC LB (I'd be willing to look at either one depending on which one I could get the best deal on) and I can't find any black laramie limited trucks with that configuration anywhere in the rockies...

Looks like there are tons of F350's around with that configuration ...

Nothing against GM, but my last like ... 5 trucks .... have been GM, really sort of looking towards the Dodge this time. Haven't ruled out the Ford yet, but would prefer to see if I can get a Laramie Limited cummins ....

If anyone knows of anyone with that particular configuration, let me know, I can't get **** from the Dodge website.

TURBOMAN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Morgan, Utah
www.bigskyx.com
I understand the whole paying a little more to buy from a better dealer. The thing is none of them have ever done much for me to stand out and make me feel like I am more then a number. I feel I did get the good deal from the better dealer. It is where I have bought from before so I do know they are good. I guess I have not found that dealer that is not full of it most of the time.

I am just not a fan of dealing with most of them. They make buying a truck such a pain. I am almost positive they try and keep you at their dealership for as long as they can wasting your time so you can not go to another dealership and find a better deal. They hope you just get tired and give in, drives me crazy. I don't need to sit in your fancy dealership, stare at the wall and drink free water while you sit in the office with the manager telling each other jokes. Tell me the price of said truck and if I like the price I will buy it. Simple as that!
Me "what is the price of the truck?"
Them "what do you want to pay?'
Them "what do you want your payments to be?"
Me "what is the out the door price?"
Them "what can we do to sell you this truck today?"
Me "TELL ME THE PRICE THAT IS WHAT!!!!"
Me "BYE"
Them as I am walking out the door "You better hurry and make up your mind that is the last one in the country like that for that price."
Me "YOU NEVER TOLD ME THE PRICE!!!!"

I go to the next dealer and they have 10 just like the one that the dealer above said was the last one in the country.
LOL

TURBOMAN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Morgan, Utah
www.bigskyx.com
Oh and one other thing lets say I buy from another dealer and need work performed at the dealership with the better tech. I go in and they say well you did not buy the truck from us so we are not going to take as good of care of you as if you had bought from us, guess what I WILL NEVER BUY FROM YOU!!! Treat me good even if I did not buy from you, when it comes time to buy again you will be first on my list. I get so tired of the you better buy from us or when you need help we wont give you as good of service. THAT IS BS. If I remember right the dealership is getting payed by the manufacture to perform the work so either way you are getting money. I would want you to come to my dealership even if you did not buy the truck from me.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Them "what do you want to pay?'
Me "what is the out the door price?"
Them "what can we do to sell you this truck today?"
Me "TELL ME THE PRICE THAT IS WHAT!!!!"
Me "BYE"
Them as I am walking out the door "You better hurry and make up your mind that is the last one in the country like that for that price."
Me "YOU NEVER TOLD ME THE PRICE!!!!"

I go to the next dealer and they have 10 just like the one that the dealer above said was the last one in the country.
LOL

Exactly. The first salesman I meet that doesn't pull that **** with me has a VERY high probability of being the one I buy the truck from, providing its not just a total ripoff.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Give Aberdeen Chrysler Center a call and ask for Brad Friedel. Or if you go to their website you can chat live with a sales rep. I just bought my 12 there and several trucks before that. I love them as a dealer. Its a long haul for you but they will at at the very least throw in a free spray in bedliner for your troubles. they always have for me anyways. They also threw in free extended warranty on my 12 as well. bumper to bumper 100k :rockon:

I double checked and they do have two limited laramie 2500 crew cabs.

Edit: just saw you were looking at LB... These were SB I think.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Sucks to hear that dealers are still doing that. Our setup shows exactly what you pay with an itemized breakdown: msrp, discounts, rebates, taxes, d&h, aftermarket( if any), cash down, trade, financed amount or cash price, interest rate, term and finally monthly payment. No games, it's all right in front of you.
I also refuse to go back and fourth 12 times. Obviously I want to make some
Money but likewise I don't make anything if you don't buy. I hope I can find you a truck that you like and get you a price you are happy paying. That's how I see my job. The numbers game sucks for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features