• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pieps dsp good?

65pony123

Oct 1, 2010
Wonderin if this is a good beacon easy to use good features? Dont know a ton about beacons

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
The Pieps DSP is an excellent beacon. Pieps was one of the first three antenae beacons which are very good when there are multiple burials.
It is small, durable, and easy to use.

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
This is an excellent beacon, top of the line IMO. My entire riding group rides with them and I think they are much better in range, strength of signal, and options. There is a scan feature that will scan an area and tell you how many beacons it finds (great for multiple burials), its better for multi-burial search than others, and it has a feature that allows you to test the frequency of other beacons to see if they are still on the exact correct frequency for detection. As with all beacons, the key to using them is that you are familiar with them and practice practice practice BEFORE you have to use it for a real rescue.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
The Pieps DSP is a GREAT beacon! The scan feature and frequency check feature are advanced features that most people don't use, which is why Pieps came out with the Pieps DSP Tour beacon. It functions identical to the Pieps DSP, but doesn't have those two features. The Pieps Tour still has the "mark" feature, allowing you to mark a buried victim and move to the next.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
FANTASTIC Beacon. We own 3. It's reliable, easy to use, accurate, fast, and has the longest distance of all the beacons on the market- about twice what the Tracker can pick up. Avy instructors really like them, as well. You still have to practice with them, of course, but getting the hang of them is pretty easy. They have a suppress feature so that in a multiple burial scenario once you find one person you can suppress the signal and move on to the next. In side-by-side practice sessions vs other beacons, the Pieps DSP users always seem to be fastest and most accurate on finding burials with the exact same training so I think that reflects on the beacon. It is a bit more expensive but the extra expense is negligible to me in comparison to the value of my life or a friend's life.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I have owned one in the past and my wife currently uses one. I was pleased with its function once I learned how to properly operate a digital beacon. Coming from an analog beacon the processor takes a little longer, so under 20m on the screen you have to slow down and let it think.

here's a good site to read about different beacons:

http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/Specs_PiepsDSP.asp

Premium Features