• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Titanium full rear suspension for the Pro

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
my heilms came in last night, all installed and looks good, thanks again

is their a light weight heim one can use... seam so heavyduty over all the other lighter parts i installed, thanks

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
my heilms came in last night, all installed and looks good, thanks again

is their a light weight heim one can use... seam so heavyduty over all the other lighter parts i installed, thanks
Better late than...... sorry. You can use the aluminum rod ends,and they are very strong, but i have broke them. Def not as strong as the steel or moly rod ends. For the weight savings, i prefer steel. Some times its just not worth saving a few ounces at the sacrifice of safety or durrability.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Dan, when will you have pics and pricing for the Pro titanium rear suspension?

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
on to something about the inner cross shafts. If you made some out of tube ti with welded on nuts/ threaded inserts you could reduce some weight over the solid aluminum bar that Polaris uses currently.

Re-design the front arm a bit to Cat style. Beefier tube but no cross-shaft, just one bushing on each side bolted to the tunnel like.

RS

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
Bonded front touque arm? I must have missed something?

Taken from the Polaris Website:

Adhesive bonded suspension components
By using technology to improve our manufacturing, we continue to build lighter, stronger sleds. For 2013, we've added Bonded Lower Control Arms featuring forged aluminum ends and steel tubing. This process makes for a set of control arms that are 2 lbs. lighter. We've also added a Bonded Front Torque Arm to the rear suspension. With cast aluminum connections and steel tubing, we've eliminated 0.5 lbs. and weld fatigue issues.

Source:
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/snowmobiles/mountain/600-pro-rmk-155/pages/features.aspx

So does this make the front TQ arm easier to manufacture?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Bonded torque arm? Thats the first i have heard of that. Completely missed it in the mass of information. Without question stronger, but easier...not sure. Either way a turn in technology. Fred, as for pic and price, i dont even have a quess at this point. If someone can give me some EXACT weights on the stock components, i can get pretty close on new weights. Tried to contact Mountainhorse, but he is MIA, but i have some back up resourses. This is going to be a pretty involved project, concidering Polaris has gone to the very edge of getting the Pro to the weight it is, but not without some sacrifice in durability. They have already right off the top eliminated the torsion springs that were a free 3-4lbs. I certainly plan on beefing up the upper main tubes, just because its been an issue on the 12's, especially for the guys who ride hard and drop big. All in all, just too early to make any predictions. When i was at the Expo in west, it seemed like it depended who you talked to, but one rep told me there was nothing on the 13 as far as rear skid that would fit on the 12???? The other guy knew nothing about it. Never make a decision until you actually have it in your hands. So...any body having access to 2013 pro rear skid parts would sure speed things up....Thanks!
Dan

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Your XP rear skid looks nice, hopefully you will be able to setup the Pro guy's.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Love the Raptor shocks. Will have them on my 2013. Made a huge mistake on trying to upgrade my stock shocks with resis and revalve. I would buy them now if I could use them on the 12 and the 13. I really like the triple rate springs but want to go as light as possible. What are you giving up by going with the titanium springs? I know they are lighter(could you post how much?) but they appear to be a single rate. Do you lose that plush ride and initial roll into the side hill and ability to take the big hits that would bottom out a single rate? Why didn't the Raptors include a clicker for the rebound too? Last what is the total weight loss of your full skid for 2013? How about on the front end, are you just going to have top arms and the bottom arms to insert in the stock end piece? Weight loss up front?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Ti coils are on average 1/2lb lighter than the steel. For the Ti IFS shocks you have the option of a single rate, or a dual rate which has a steel helper. My Ti skid for the Doo came in at 36.75lbs complete with everything, rails, wheels axles, etc. The a-arm kit for the Pro in Ti saves 6.5lbs, and we will not be using the bonded aluminum shock mount end. I just really dont see much, if any weight loss from the way my Ti arms are constructed vrs going with the aluminum piece. For the 144' skid, i am not firmiliar enough with that to give an honest answer. If i had to speculate i would say its going to all be the same as far as the parts on the 144's through the 163''. Rebound on the Raptors, would be better answered by Jake as he builds them. Sorry for some of the unsure answers, but its just too early to tell. Thanks!

Dan

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Whats the update on this? Are the arms the same geometry as stock?
Should know in the next few days, but i believe the geom. stayed the same. looked like they just took the dog leg out of the spindle end of the lower, which in turn shortened the shocks. This would mean the 12 arms will not work on the 13 without a shock change. sorry ive been so absent, just trying to stay ahead of the game this season. I should have more info on the web site very soon. Thanks!
Dan

R

RPS

May 5, 2011
Ti Doo

I thought you guys might like to see some early models of the ALT Ti skid along with some of the tools that we used with Dan in the early design stages to meet some of his key design characteristics that he was very adamant about achieving. I think most would look at this skid and say it looks like others where they just stuck a coil over (or air shock) in it and used the torsion spring geometry. Well this is not the case at all this thing is very purpose built and if I was a betting man I would say if Skidoo was building a coil over it would look very similar to this. I included a couple of graphs that show the Pro Rmk as a baseline vs. Dan’s skid of front and rear shock motion ratios and you can see how much less the Ti skid falls off through the travel. I also have the Cat ratios but I don’t have all of them on one graph but the Cat falls off considerably more at the end of the stroke starts way higher but falls off harder. Anyways very fun project to work on and it far exceeded our expectations and was significantly better riding than our other baseline sled that we did back to back testing with. Kudos to Dan for his awesome products and I can only imagine what he has in store for the new Rmk!

Alt Ti Geo.jpg SUSPENSION_4.JPG motion_ratio.JPG motion_ratio_fts.JPG

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Im really looking forward to the new season, especially with this particular sled. I probably have forgotten to mention alot of things going into the pro from us. I should have the web site updated soon, but ill throw a few things out now for ya to chew on. I have for this season two more hands on deck to cure last years issue of not enough in stock product, so things should be a bit smoother. Right now we are building stock for the rest of the fleet ( XP, XM, Yami, Rev, Cat) so when the Pro rolls in we can dedicate some serious attention to it. So for the Pro, we plan on full front and rear Ti bolt kits. Of coarse the complete Ti rear skid, with the Raptor shocks. As last year Ti a arm front end kits. Raptor's also available on the front as well. When we get caught up on all that we will dive into some of the other components such as steering post, post linkage, etc. Ill try to keep everyone up to speed. Thanks!
Dan

R

RPS

May 5, 2011
Great question! It's Pro for the Pro, Pro-engineer that is we use wildfire 4 here and will wait to upgrade to their new stuff until others switch and force our hand. Jake

Last edited:
Premium Features