• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Scott no fog goggle fan?

A
Nov 28, 2007
eagle, colorado
Anyone using the Scott nofog goggle fan with mainly with509 goggles or any other goggles. Wonderin if its worth getting as I do fog up some times in deep snow. I just got a pair of 509 sinister goggles and debating on getting the fan as well. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I have used Smith and Scott fans, never saw much help from either but the Smith at least you can tell its running, feel a slight breeze

A
Nov 28, 2007
eagle, colorado
I have used Smith and Scott fans, never saw much help from either but the Smith at least you can tell its running, feel a slight breeze

Yeah, I kind of figured that. just wanted to get an opinion or two before I purchase one. Im probably just going to stick with two pairs of goggles with a goggle bag under the hood. Thanks again for the reply.

Y

yam_apex91469

Jan 24, 2007
Byron, IL
used a fan from Haber in my Oakleys last season - fan idea is good in theory but seems like if the foam gets any powder in it it plugs up and the fan wont work - can't draw any air ----- but who wants to get any powder on them while riding??? lol

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
Different result

My wife and brother both run the Scott fan in their Scott goggles and swear by them. They just turn them on in the morning and run them all day. We have never tried the fans with other goggle brands.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
At the risk of jinxing myself...why is it that high dollar goggles fog?

I buy the Bolle goggles every couple of years from Costco, and have never had any fogging issues.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
A few years ago I bought a pair of smith goggles with the fan. After dealing with some issues, I love them!! The issues I had was that the battery holder is on the goggle strap and is isn't attatched very well. It quickly fell off severing the 2 small wires going from it to the goggle. I sent it back to smith and they repaired it no question asked or cost to me. I used a couple zip ties to attatch it better to the strap and didn't have any more problems until I caught a tree branch just right to rip the wires out. Again, I sent it in to smith and they fixed it just like before. The fan has 2 settings, lo and hi. I put it on lo and leave all day and NEVER fog up!! It takes 2 AAA batteries and they last all season long. They were expensive but I've never been happier with them. I'm pretty sure that ANY goggle will fog if everytime you stop you take them off and put them on top of your helmet or worse down by your mouth where your breathe steams them. You have to use common sense and when we're stopped for any significant amount of time I take them completely off and either put them on my handlebars or I'll put them down by the motor under the hood to warm up. Doing this honestly they NEVER fog up even in the worst conditions!!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I use the goggle fans and I think they work great. Mainly when you goggle up and have to sit and wait for some reason. Good goggles shouldn't fog while you are moving...

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
The NEW Scott fan, and the 509 fan are both made by HaberVision.

Haber owns the patent and produces them. They are re-labelled with other manufacture's names.

The HaberVision design is that way for a reason. What makes it unique is that the fan is not always on or always off. Always on will dry out your eyes. Always off, well that is self explanatory. The HaberVision Eliminator fan has a built in humidty sensor. When humidity levels go up, the fan turns itself on BEFORE fogging and prevents it. Back off when the humidity levels drop down to normal levels. The Haber design also pushes air out, some other brands pull air in. Constant air coming in on the always on designs will cause fogging issues. IF you open the goggles up and off your face on a cold day you will thermal shock the lens. That alone will cause fogging. There is a reason we use a double lens in the winter and that is because the air pocket between the inner lens and the outer acts as an insulating layer between your warm face and cold exterior, preventing thermal shock.

It is correct that if you form an ice layer over the foam the fan won't work properly but a simple sweep with your hand/finger will clear that off. Our motors operate the same way. Plug the air intake and they don't breath.

The fan is not designed to prevent fogging when you are moving, you have good air flow coming to your face and don't need a fan. When you stop is when the Haber fan is designed to prevent fogging. When you stop you don't have airflow coming to your face. Most guys pull off their goggles when they stop. This works but it also introduces cold air to the inner goggle lens, causing fogging. Also each time you take the goggles off and on, you increase the chances of getting snow or water on the inside face, once again... causing even more fogging issues. If you leave the goggles on your face when you stop, you won't get snow or water on the inside, if you can prevent that you will have FAR FAR less fogging issues. Let the Eliminator keep you fog free when stopped.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Anyone that wears glasses try them? I'm new to glasses this year thinking smith with a fan or going with pro vu they make prescription goggles....

I have glassses and I have the Smith fan goggles.

Usually my goggles rarely fog up, but my glasses fog all the time. The fan goggles do help some, the problem is still there but not as bad as without fan.

When I'm hot I still cant keep the goggles on when I stop, but I can run at slower speeds without having to rip the goggles off.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Anyone that wears glasses try them? I'm new to glasses this year thinking smith with a fan or going with pro vu they make prescription goggles....

Give our Optical insert a shot. I use one it works great. Advantages over pro-vue goggles are that these can be taken from one set of goggles to another. Any lens, etc.

$25 you have lenses put in them.

HaberVision Optical Insert

I still recommend a no fog spray or cleaner on the glasses lenses ONLY. Do not treat the goggles. Goggles have a dual lens which is what prevents fogging (or helps). Glasses don't have that.

dooxtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
WY
Just curious do you use a breath deflecter in your helmet and do you use quick straps. I have ridden for years without fogging issues and the biggest thing I found is you need to take your goggles off when your stopped for any lenght of time so you don't fog up. And using the breath deflecter, even the generic ones, will keep your breath from going up into the goggles. Plus make sure your bacalava (spelling is probably wrong) doesnt go over your mouth and up to your nose. That is another way to leak your breath into your goggles. I keep mine down low for that reason. And the breath deflecter does a great job keeping the nose warm.

A
Nov 28, 2007
eagle, colorado
I just fogged up once in a while. This year I purchased a pair of 509 goggles. I was just wonderin if the fan is worth getting. I think im just going to try the goggles out by themselves first and then maybe I'll get the fan. A friend also got a pair of the 509's with the fan attachment. Ill see how it works for him. Thanks again to all the replys .

Premium Features