• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

F-150 ecoboost

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
I agree with your rationale.

However, after the bailouts, I would likely buy Toyoga or Nassin before GM or Chrysler

Thats why I'm switching to Ford.:face-icon-small-hap

On the other hand it is hard for me to fault the auto maker for what the unions do to them.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Jobs are more important than where the profit goes. All car companies are international now. I wonder how how strict your "buy America" pose is. Shop at Walmart? I don't. What TV do you watch? Own a Glock or a Sig? Do you check the brand of everything you buy to make sure it's not made by some "dirty foreigner"?I do buy American as much as I can. I WON'T if a far superior product is a available.I don't shop price as hard as most so that doesn't drive my purchases. I would never question somebodies patriotism(I love this country and thank God I was lucky enough to be born here) because of what truck they drive.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Back on track...

For those running the EcoBoost engine, are you running them on the premium fuel, or the 87 octane? I have been reading that Ford is recommending the use of premium to get both the power and mileage that they claim. That extra $0.20/gallon or more may not make the increase in fuel mileage that much of a bargain.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Back on track...

For those running the EcoBoost engine, are you running them on the premium fuel, or the 87 octane? I have been reading that Ford is recommending the use of premium to get both the power and mileage that they claim. That extra $0.20/gallon or more may not make the increase in fuel mileage that much of a bargain.

Ok, at $3.65/g an increase of $.20 is about 1.1mpg at 20mpg. I thought the sticker mpg was with the 87 octane. I've heard that using a higher octance doesn't gain you anything, generally speaking (not eco related). Let's hear more about this on the eco as far as mileage claims.

Let's not forget about the HP and torque for the Eco. Yes, there are other trucks which can come close in mpg without a turbo, and they may have better long term reliability or resale because there is no worry about the cost of replacing a turbo or two. I think the bonus is you get better MPG and more hp/torque than most other gas half ton truck engines.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
I drove the Eco boost F150 yesterday and got 21.8 to 22.5 MPG on the 40 mile round trip I drove.
:face-icon-small-ton

You should have put a trailer on, and drove around the block to see what kind of mpg you could get pulling. :face-icon-small-hap

Just out of curiosity, what is the MSRP on these vehicles?

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Just out of curiosity, what is the MSRP on these vehicles?[/QUOTE]

Nicely equiped FX4 4x4 44k to 48k sticker. 38k to 42k after rebates and discount. Dealers are dropping off the sticker quite a bit right now.

R
Dec 3, 2007
I have always been a Ford guy. I have had several trucks and cars over the years and was set on a F150(Eco boost). I went to check them out and was impressed with the truck, but the price was too high compared to the Silverado. I ended up with a Chevy(first one ever for me) because the price, options and fuel economy made it a better buy. I am getting a solid 21mpg with it and am eager to find out what it will do pulling the sled trailer this winter. I have less than 1000 miles on it so maybe it will get better.

If the price was closer, I would be driving a Ford (again).

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
I too have been thinking of the ecoboost. I normally don't buy "new" trucks. But now I'm really thinking of getting one.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
buy a high milage awd 300c hemi yank the hemi out throw a 3rd gen 426stroker twin turbo fully built trans buy a mopar hitch have luxary and power and awd ok just rambleing but if i was rich thats what i would have for a sled hauler lol sounds goofy but would be awsome :face-icon-small-blu

R
Dec 3, 2007
What package did you get on your Chevy?

If you are getting 21 mpg in this rig, I'd be curious to see how well it tows.

I got the Silverado Z71 4x4 extended cab with the All-star package. The All-star has separate temp controls(driver/pass), back up camera, remote start and who knows what else. The mileage is probably that good because of the 6 speed auto and the engine management crap that lets it run 4 cyl if it doesn't need the power.

I towed my camper about 50 miles a couple weeks ago and it towed way better than my Expedition, but that's apple to oranges. I only tow the camper and my 2 place sled trailer, so probably won't ever haul anything real heavy.

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
shapeimage_9.png

where does the gooseneck go?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I know this truck is new but I thought I'd be able to hear more first hand stories of what it can and can't do, and fuel economy.

Anyone have more info?

When towing a heavy load, like a 9000 pound camper with a large frontal area, does this truck downshift and still run over 4000rpm to try and make it up inclines or does it run in the 2500rpm range where all the torque is?

How about cruising down the road at 65-70, does a headwind kill it (towing)?

S
Nov 10, 2009
Saskatchewan
I've got an EcoBoost, I have been a GMC guy ALL my life and I've owned new and used - about 12 of them, 1986 to 2008.

All I can say after test driving them all, Sierra (boring), Ram (crude), F150 - the 2011 EB absolutely blew my shorts off. It has unbelievable power - the most important fact overlooked in this whole forum is the amount of TORQUE this thing has and it is all DEVELOPED AT 2500 RPM - not 4000-5000 like the V-8s. It is whisper quiet except for the turbo whistle when excelerating - which sounds really cool. There is a little turbo lag you have to get used to though. But when you want power it is BANG!!! At 4000km's I towed a 4900lb bumper hitch camper through the Rockies - I was absolutely impressed how this truck did not have to work to pull the load, it never shifted out of 5th gear and pulled all day long, never ever did the tack go over 3000rpm. Fuel milegae sucked 9mpg's (Canadian) in the mountains and on the praries with the camper I would get up to 12-13 at 100kph (62mph). But don't buy a gas anything if MPG's is a concern.

Overall I would reccomend this truck for everything, even pulling the big loads and it is very comfortable for travel when used as a car.

I have an XLT, XTR package, convenience package (nicer dash), super crew, 6.5ft box, 3:55's w/18 rims, side steps (which are kick ***), tail gate step, backup camera and beepers.

Canadian retail was $48500 and I paid $36600, there was a $12000 discount which was a delivery allowance and employee pricing.

If your on the fence - test drive one of these - you'll switch to it - PERIOD!!!

S
Nov 10, 2009
Saskatchewan
Oh yah, I also pull around a 22 ft boat on a tandem axle trailer. It all weighs around 3300lbs full of fuel and travel at 110kph (67mph). With the boat on I get 16-18mpgs (Canadian). It of course stays in 6th the whole time.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I was curious what the RPM's would do so that is good info. So towing up a big grade like there is in the mountains, especially one like 7% for 5 miles up hill, with a 10,000 pound camper, what would you expect the RPM's to do while trying to maintain a reasonable speed like 35 or so?

aphoric

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2011
Centennial, CO
Been driving turbo V6's in Audis for a while, so I wanted to try one out. I was surprised how low the boost kicks in. Didn't feel as much like the turbos I am used to, some lag, then a deep impression in the back of your seat, it was more balanced. It was a few weeks ago, with the $5k rebate, you could get one in the low $30k's.

snokaw

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
www.mhallmtbsnow.blogspot.com
I bought my Ford F150 EB in July. It is the Max Tow - Max Payload, with the 6.5 foot box, it has 3.73 gears. I had a set of 285/70/17 - E-Rated BFG All Terrains with aftermarket wheels installed the day I picked it up. I had a Bull Bar installed and I got creative with the license plate because you cannot block the air flow up front.

The dash MPG computer shows 14.5 since I bought the truck. My driving includes pulling my landscape trailer around town(1500 - 3500 pounds, about 10% of my driving), some fireroad driving locked into 4x4, stop and go city driving and several 300 - 400 mile trips. 2 of the 400 mile trips was pulling my landscape trailer with 3500 pound loads.

When I reset my trip MPG, I get about 14.5 - 16 MPG with everyday driving. On the trips with a mix of 60 - 80 MPH, I get 16 - 18.5 MPG.

I just turned 6000 miles on my new F150 EB. This motor rocks, it creates useable torque, and has plenty of giddy-up and go. It is also the best gas mileage I have got with a 4x4 pick-up.

A couple of my thoughts for what they are worth.http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/images/smilies/new2010/kev.gif Upgrading the tires, a must if you are going to use the F150 like a truck. Get the Max Tow / Max Trailer. It is not an F350, but I wanted gas mileage and didn't want another diesel.

My previous personal trucks have included 3 different 1 Ton Super Duties, 1 - V10 and 2 - 6.0 diesels and an 06 3/4 ton Dodge with the gas Hemi. I also drive an 09 F350 4x4 gas 5.4 pulling a single car trailer for my job, about 8000 miles a month. That gets anywhere from 8 - 11.5 MPG depending on size of vehicle and wind.

This is the trailer I'm going to use the next 2 days. A 28 foot Featherlite. I will put on about 250 - 300 miles so I'll see how it does. I just drove it about 40 miles today and it was no effort for the truck. No sway and it just jumps up to 70 MPH. I'll be driving between 65 - 75 MPH.

IMG_0466.jpg IMG_0467.jpg IMG_0468.jpg IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0411.JPG

S
Nov 10, 2009
Saskatchewan
I was curious what the RPM's would do so that is good info. So towing up a big grade like there is in the mountains, especially one like 7% for 5 miles up hill, with a 10,000 pound camper, what would you expect the RPM's to do while trying to maintain a reasonable speed like 35 or so?

You wont pull 10,000`lbs with a 1é2 ton truck.

Premium Features