• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For those of you who are thinking of running the Power Claw track on your PRO-RMK

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
I ran the standard 7t avid drivers with an Arctic Cat 162 and every other outside mini nub cut off with a 995. I never had any ratcheting problems with a very loose track. Robbie assured me it would be fine and it was. Not sure what the big worry is.....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Yep... I'm sure it worked... but not a very efficient way to turn the track, you are driving off the teeth most of the time... also, you are not getting the most out of the track by running it loose... that is a good urban myth but holds no water... especially with the newer single ply tracks. ... but that is another lengthy thread.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
i just cut off every other nub.
not hard to do and works just fine.

I was thinking about running the p-claw on the new machine but after reading previous threads i figured it would be a big pain to do. I still might now with the new info, and would like you to supervise the cutting of the track. Maybe we can have a sled pow-wow one of these days at the Fraufarm?

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I'm just not very keen on the drivers only having one row of involute nubs to drive off of for each driver...and I certainly don't like the teeth driving on the windows most of the time... the outer guide nubs don't work as involute nubs because of their size....

Dub had problems with his drivers "walking" on the shaft when he used standard Avids with the powerclaw and trimmed every other small outer guide-nub....All the power was being trasmitted thru one side of the driver until it slipped enough for the extro-tooth portion of the driver to catch the window.

Robbie has the new drivers out for the Power Claw Track in the Polaris with the tubular/splined drive-shaft.... in both 8 tooth and 7 tooth configuration.

Also, after seeing 3 sleds running the 8 tooth 3" pitch standard (involute only) PPD drivers on this track (from Wahl/Carls/SLP)... and measuring the clearance accurately... which was between 1/4" and 5/16" (not much)...

I Highly recommend doing a D&R on this sled to get the necessary clearance for efficient operation if you are using the 8 tooth drivers. The lower efficiency is less evident in low moisture "fluff" powder than in high moisture content snow.

A HRP 5/8" D&R with the 8 tooth drivers gives about he same clearance as using the 7 tooth drivers without the D&R... but would turn with more efficiency than the 7 tooth setup.

Here are the new style Avid 7 tooth drivers with the Power Claw HCR track...

This type of Avid driver will be "the ticket" to use with ANY 3" pitch track in the Polaris IQ/PRO RMK, IMO....weather you choose the 7 or 8 tooth versions.Since the front drivers dont have to roll over the clips on the track.... but rather they roll just like an involute driver between the 4 involute rows inside of the rails no more plastic rolling on metal clips... NICE!!

Brad Story, from what I hear, is using the 8 tooth versions of this driver that Robbie and I developed.,

attachment.php

attachment.php
Can this driver in a 7tooth run without a chaincase mod on the pro? I currently have the whal bros drivers with the outside edge of involutes cut off. This looks like a MUCH better way to go.

B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
So if i just got a new set of 8T 3.0P drivers with the intentions of putting the PC under my 900 and they don't look like those pictured....i have the wrong ones?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
If they are 8 tooth 3" Pitch NON combo/extro drivers.. you'll be fine.

If they are the "ski doo" or Wahl bros style... then no... you don't have the right ones...

Simply cutting the guide nubs off will still give the problems, IMO, that I've eluded to in the thread above.

Good luck.

Last edited:
B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
They are the Wahl style I would say, they are right from avid. I breifly talked to robbie on the phone and didnt hear him say anything about powerclaw specific drivers. I got the standard 05-13 Polaris combo drivers from him. 3.0 pitch for my 05 driveshaft.

I guess ill try calling him monday early AM. Was about the press the drivers on tonight as the skid and shaft are out of the machine now.

Thanks so much MH

If they are 8 tooth 3" Pitch NON combo/extro drivers.. you'll be fine.

If they are the "ski doo" or Wahl bros style... then no... you don't have the right ones...

Simply cutting the guide nubs off will still give the problems, IMO, that I've eluded to in the thread above.

Good luck.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
You're welcome...

I had a good long talk about this very topic with Camoplast over a halibut dinner in Seattle in October... And how the track and drive system will suffer by using the "Wahl" style drivers.

Robbie is a stand up guy and if you did not press them on yet... I'm sure he'll exchange them for you.

B

BigTree

Sep 27, 2011
Talked to robbie and he was extremely informative and did everything I could ask and more. He has all of my future business no questions.

Premium Features