• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cell phone`s playing games with beacons

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
just read this from a gentleman in another forum. never thought about it....so will my iphone play games with my beacon? have some very helpful apps for the backcountry, but i dont wanna be the guy that couldnt find his buddie cause im an iphone junkie... if anyone could shed some light on this subject i would be stoked!!!!!!
thanks in advance

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Yes
any electronic device.....including cellphones, GPS, radios,
and even your running sled will adversely effect
your beacon

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
seing as they operate with what seems to me as following a sort of electromagnetic field(based on the signal pattern) It would mean anything electronic will produce an electric feild is going to mess with it. things like phones only have a little affect, but if in close proxity, it will be very much noticable. A running sled with its charging system should/does produce a decent sized field capable of screwing with a signal.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
It is very unlikely as the are so far apart on in frequency but with radio anything is possible. I would not travel without my GPS/radio and beacon so pick the less of 2 evils. Anyway our Cordless Teth-Air is 2.45 GHz and we can't make it interfere.

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
Yes electronic fields will adversely affect your beacon in SEARCH MODE. That is the key. Take your iphone, your garmin rino, 2 way radio, etc. They are all useful and necessary tools.

BUT, if you are searching for a victim make sure it is ALL turned off.!!

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Yeah i tested this last year. Not sure if the post is still here somewhere. I tested it with my Ipod. If the ipod was near (with in 2 feet) of my beacon, I could not find my other beacon that I had my son hide. On the other hand it did not seam to affect the signal being sent. I had the boy hide the beacon and the ipod together. I found it no problem every time. So, long story short. If you are in the situation where you are looking for someone. TURN OFF ALL OTHER ELECTRONICS FIRST !!!!!!
Also, just because it didnt mess with mine sending the signal dont trust that. Test your own equipment !!

Premium Features