• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 Mountain Cat opinions?

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
BWAAAAAA NO comment:D:D

A stock '06 King Cat would lay the smack down on a stock '08 XP in every way possible, except in the light weight and trail handling departments.:cool:

The XP's are one of the best trail sleds made!:D:beer;

P
Nov 20, 2008
I think i speak for most everyone when i say stock sucks!!!!!!! The engine is near bulletproof but a single pipe, reeds, take a bit off the head and poof it feels 50 pounds lighter, with stock reliability and just premium gas!! Add to that nice little power package a few chassis improvments like moving the steering forward, Holtz rear suspension package and swap out the ski's that are perfectly designed to shoot snow in your face. BADA BOOM wicked mountain sled.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
A stock '06 King Cat would lay the smack down on a stock '08 XP in every way possible, except in the light weight and trail handling departments.:cool:

The XP's are one of the best trail sleds made!:D:beer;

You catch that Fred? Get ready for the SMACKDOWN!!! :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;:beer;

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Kingcat jetting

I have three 975s running and one stock 900. I have dropped the pilot jets from the stock 50 to 30 or 27.5. We ride at 5000 feet plus so from 3000 to 6000 you probably won't want to go that lean. I have also changed throttle slides from 3.0 to 3.5. It really cleans up the bottom end blubber and you can go to a lower clutch engagement for better startup in the deep stuff. For main jets I run from 330 to 380 depending on which bore. I hear a lot of guys running mains clear up into the 500 range. I don't know how I seem to be getting away with so much smaller jets.

Another change I like to make for the 900s without titanium springs or floats is to go the the 98 or 99 ZR front springs. They have a variable rate and the first couple inches of travel is a lot softer. It makes for a lot better trail ride. They are a little heavier though.

I agree with the chain weakness issue. I am going to start putting new chains in at the start of each season. Getting tired of blowing a chain and case in the bottom of some hole and having to go get parts and fix it in a blizzard.

M
Mar 7, 2008
trail riding will be rough compared to new sleds (suspension), but off trail/in deep/carving/climbing I don't think any stock machine will leave these machines behind. The sled is capable of doing anything any other stock sled can do.
I have cans/exhaust transfer tubes on 2 900 MC's and no problems with right side bog - you will need to fix this problem on a stock sled for deep powder riding unless you want to keep it on the left side or flat all the time! I have handlebar riser on one of them and improves handling for me and turns on side very easy in my opinion. My 12 year old has no problem turning them on side and he rides the one without handlbar riser.
Engine VERY strong.
Great sleds.

S
Dec 8, 2007
High time is talking about the '02 1/2's. They were produced as a 2003 but were just an 02 with a few mods and the 900 engine. They were heavier and poorer shock valving. The color of the sled, the dimpled running boards and the chaincase sticking below the belly pan were ways to look for the 2002 1/2 model sleds. I have 2 900's and so far have not seen many sleds that beat me and both have been trouble free, with regular maintaince.

The sled is an 03 like you described. Should a guy look for an 04 instead?

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho

03 early or late the EB's had the notches in the track to pass over the coolers and the late had the cooling on the far corners of the tunnel.
the late's and up are the way to go. I would pass on the early. my .02

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
One of the other problem not mentioned yet is the 03' has a notch in the bottom of the tunnel near the foot rest on both sides. With use the tunnel will start to crack from the top of the notch bottom up. The 04's and up do not have this notch.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The late 03's and newer are selling for such low prices, I personally would pass on the early build. The extra weight and older suspention are a definite drawback. That being said, the early engines really turned on and would out-run the 04' 900. All of them needed a higher seat and the handlebars raised and moved or tipped forward.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
The late 03's and newer are selling for such low prices, I personally would pass on the early build. The extra weight and older suspention are a definite drawback. That being said, the early engines really turned on and would out-run the 04' 900. All of them needed a higher seat and the handlebars raised and moved or tipped forward.

no decompression hole in the jug and harder then HE!! to pull over in the cold so get a aluminum handle on the rope:eek: and eat your Wheaties

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah

If you really want a ripper! find an '03 with a Camo Extreme 2.5" on it, and BUY IT! I don't know if the '03s had different timing or compression or what? but I have seen more '03s that were freaks. Super crisp runners and mean as hehl!!!:D

S
Dec 20, 2008
Bothell, WA
I have three 975s running and one stock 900. I have dropped the pilot jets from the stock 50 to 30 or 27.5. We ride at 5000 feet plus so from 3000 to 6000 you probably won't want to go that lean. I have also changed throttle slides from 3.0 to 3.5. It really cleans up the bottom end blubber and you can go to a lower clutch engagement for better startup in the deep stuff. For main jets I run from 330 to 380 depending on which bore. I hear a lot of guys running mains clear up into the 500 range. I don't know how I seem to be getting away with so much smaller jets.

Another change I like to make for the 900s without titanium springs or floats is to go the the 98 or 99 ZR front springs. They have a variable rate and the first couple inches of travel is a lot softer. It makes for a lot better trail ride. They are a little heavier though.

I agree with the chain weakness issue. I am going to start putting new chains in at the start of each season. Getting tired of blowing a chain and case in the bottom of some hole and having to go get parts and fix it in a blizzard.

Wow, thanks for the pilot tips, I hate the low end blubber. Looks like I have a way to go to clean it up, maybe try a 40.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Bore the carbs out to 41.75mm it will help throttle response and mid range. Putting on a mono head will make drastic improvements in the whole power curve. Plus if you get one with interchangeable domes you can play with the compression. Another cheap mod that help with throttle response was going to the irridium plugs. I know they are 3X as expensive but they have a nice snap to them just my $0.02

Also try to balance the carbs, use a vacuum guage or your egts to get them in-tune.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
03 had different timing than the 04 ... I could tell the difference right away with mine. The update(which I did to my 03 to keep from scoring the pistons with pipes ) was ZR timing map and then the 04 came with the ZR timing map

P
Nov 20, 2008
Well I only like to ride on the trail 98% of the time so I stand behind my post. The xp is the greatest trail sled ever made!!!!!!! If you think your stupid cat can hang with me on a ''trail ride only then bring it on punk'' I will show you I have had it up too 45mph in a tight right hand turn more than once. HA HA put that in your pipe and smoke it boy

WTF XP trail riding and you think your smart? Id like to know whats in your pipe??

Premium Features