• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Towing with a cummins

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Also, they are not bending rods due to excessive drive pressures, they bending because of over revving the motor and has only happened in very few occasions, like can count on two hands. With a race tune such as the 275 there is no safety limiters set in place, it truley is a race tune allowing you to run it as hard as you want and then some if your not careful.

Like mentioned, turbos and injectors are readily available but in the end gain very little because lack of fuel pump abillity. However, when the time comes and dually pumps are available, these motors will make big power. Until that day, its hard to beat 500+ on stock turbos, pumps, injectors and tranny's.

Also, the studs were beefed up from the 6.0 motor, i will admit they were a puking little motor without arp's. Look around himark, these motors are doing very well and putting down solid numbers time after time.

Ive got nothing against a cummins, they are a great motor and proved themselves time and time again to be a power house although the truck around it is junk in my eyes. If i ever blow my 6.4 i might do a swap, but until then im gonna push this motor to the limits and see where it gets me, so far so good.

Last edited:
R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
I have to jump in! I love my 97 12v 5spd cummins, but I have to admit it makes great power 460hp/925tq at the rollers. The problem with dodge's is the rest of the truck fit/finish is crap! Dont get me wrong I love the simplicity of my old 12v but I do like the looks of a new Ford/Gm

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
i would get the dodge and i just towed home a dodge 5.9 on a pretty heavy trailer getting 17mpg with 35" tires i also have a 26ft toy hauler and got 18 mpg towing it for bellingham to washogal wa with no problem.

Are you looking at the overhead display? I have a hard enough time getting that kind of mileage out of my three Dodges empty, let alone pulling a trailer with any kind of load.
I guess mileage on trucks is like how big a fish ya caught. Always seems to get better.......

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
One more thing....take a look at the heavy duty diesel market: 99% of the big diesels are inline 6, how many succesful V-configuration diesels are there (other than the 2 stroke detroits)?

I rest my case.....

just to stir the pot, didn't International put out like a billion 444's (7.3L) in both heavy trucks and marine. Granted, nothing in an OTR V-8 though. I was a Schoolbus mech for 4 years and Half the full size (77+ passenger) busses in our fleet had the good ol' 7.3

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
just to stir the pot, didn't International put out like a billion 444's (7.3L) in both heavy trucks and marine. Granted, nothing in an OTR V-8 though. I was a Schoolbus mech for 4 years and Half the full size (77+ passenger) busses in our fleet had the good ol' 7.3

This is true, i gues i forgot about the 444. I was just trying to make the point of the heavy duty.industrial market being predominately inline 6 configuration. Im not claiming to know much about the 6.4, but i am familiar with diesels adn performance. I am just trying to get to the bottom of the rather bold statements made earlier. Im glad the ford guys are having good luck with the new 6.4. Any diesel that can make 500+ is impressive, no matter what badge it wears.

Good luck with your V8's...ill keep my lil 6 banger.

himarker

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
This is true, i gues i forgot about the 444. I was just trying to make the point of the heavy duty.industrial market being predominately inline 6 configuration. Im not claiming to know much about the 6.4, but i am familiar with diesels adn performance. I am just trying to get to the bottom of the rather bold statements made earlier. Im glad the ford guys are having good luck with the new 6.4. Any diesel that can make 500+ is impressive, no matter what badge it wears.

Good luck with your V8's...ill keep my lil 6 banger.

himarker

That is until I come to Walla Walla and own you in a heavier truck :D

Cowboy Steve

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Agree with hyflyr and rotax guy- I hate changing blinker switches, thermostats, leaky pinions, bad electrical having dodges.. But love the motor

plus theyre EXPENSIVE.. Although weve had a Ram150, Ramcharger, 2 Powerwagons, all of them got over 300K and kept running when we sold em. Replaced a lot of steering parts so they werent so squirrley haha But i dont care for the new ones.

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
Dodge or FORD?

I own (well owned, we'll get back to that) a 00 Ford SD 7.3 auto 4x4 ext. cab long box. My fiance owns a 00 Dodge 5.9Cummins auto ext.cab long box. We have been together for 5 years and we both have 180K plus on our trucks. I just sold my good ol' 7.3 and am leaning toward a 03-05 dodge 5.9. I am a mechanic and own a shop. I can tell you ALL BRANDS ARE JUNK AND BREAK DOWN. Sorry I know it hurts, especially you guys with the Chevy bow tie tattoos, but my old lady's truck just plain cost less to own and operate. It gets 2.5-4 mpg better and they were Identical twins. You can say the dodge front ends are junk, but I just did her factory balljoints and wheel bearings at 160K. My super duty has had wheel bearings every 60-80K since it was new. I am and will continue to be a fan of the 7.3 ford. It is just that I am too cheap to spring for the 6.4.

W
Dec 7, 2007
Victor ID
early 04, can't beat it, if you can find one

I have an early 04 and it kicks the **** out of the HO motors. It is a 6 speed with air bags and it pulls like a team of mules and gets good gas mileage.

I have 185,000 miles and no problems (probably blow up tomorrow). Had to have some front end work at about 175,000 but that is all and I use this truck. Went over the scales this summer hauling hay and was at 20,000 lb gross with a goose neck and it just pulls harder with a load on it.

You won't go wrong with 03 - early 04 models. Good luck.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Sorry, I forgot to add that they both had 3.73 gears, until I lifted mine, installed lockers and 36's and 4.56's to go play.

Uh......um.....uh........do you think this might have something to do with the ball joints.....unless of course you have lockers to go play on the freeway......:rolleyes:

L

little_orange_cat

Apr 7, 2008
lynden
www.myspace.com
Are you looking at the overhead display? I have a hard enough time getting that kind of mileage out of my three Dodges empty, let alone pulling a trailer with any kind of load.
I guess mileage on trucks is like how big a fish ya caught. Always seems to get better.......

yah the over head display is what I’m looking at I was told I’m getting better than what it says cause my tires are bigger idk about that though. I was doing 55 on cruse it has an edge chip in it also. it use to get about 15mpg until I put the edge in it.
the stocker I towed home only gets 13mpg with no load

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
yah the over head display is what I’m looking at I was told I’m getting better than what it says cause my tires are bigger idk about that though. I was doing 55 on cruse it has an edge chip in it also. it use to get about 15mpg until I put the edge in it.
the stocker I towed home only gets 13mpg with no load

Ya you will have to check it by hand, and take into account your tires. Typically my Over head displays on my Dodges have been about 2 mpg off on stockish tires.
My Ford with the chip is over 6 mpg off!

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I've got a 2004.5 with an auto, 4.10 gears, 31x12.50 tires, Edge attitude, 4" exhaust, and k&n filter. It's got plenty of power. I tow 4 sleds on an open trailer at 80-82 mph. We run it in the tow mode (#2) and the best we got was 12mpg and on one tank we got 6.5 to 7mpg. I know the rpm's are killing the mpg but I want to get out west to ride.;) With my 28' enclosed car trailer at 60-65 we get 15-17.

Um, leave the Tow/Haul mode off. I only use it to spool the rpms up to pass at higher speeds. I get 9.6mpg at 80mph with a 27ft enclosed with a full cab and bed. 2004.5 2500 SLT QC 4x4 auto with 33's and 3.73 gears, oh and a Cummins. Before ULSD, it was 10.2mpg with the same setup.

Premium Features