• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting patent from AC

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Hallelujah! A good that opens again!!!

As far as the comment regarding the YZ490: let’s hope no one makes a pig of a motor like that one again.....

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Wonder if this is cats answer cross over sled/ snobike. I know sno bikes are not allowed on trails because they do not satisfy the definition of a snowmobile.

Curious to see where this goes

Also curious with the air cooled rad, if this is a concept all season vehicle?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Looks like a Freestyle sized sled. Bout time. If you have a talented kid (not to brag, but I do, lol) then the youth market options suck. Tater was gonna break his 120 in half, he got bored with his 340, finally got him a an M6000. Too small for it, I would have liked another mid-sized option before full-sized. Same with bikes. Poor kid has gone through 4 bikes in two years, he outgrows them so fast!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
You know, a 50-60 horse YZ engine in a 300-350 pound sled would be a ripper for little ones. They would need a radiator with a thermostat (and probably electronic failsafes as well) to keep temps in line with a high performance 2-stroke bike engine on the snow.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Its a true mid level sled, the trick will be actually getting it light enough.
A 400cc 2s turbo would be nice. low 100ish hp and 350lb rtr would handle anyone under 150lbs

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
What I see is the ability to center the engine. Correct me if I'm wrong but the drive line support is in a position to mount anywhere not like the current torque link. It is a lower power but maybe the start of a centralized engine chassis. No matter what, it is change. Now how long until we see one. I don't know the order company's do things. Develop, test, patent? Or does the patent come first which means we are 2 or 3 years away from production?

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Everybody start praying!!!

Man oh man this would be absolutely incredible if Cat was planning to put out a kid sled that had an EFI 300cc liquid cooled 2 stroke engine at the heart of it. If they could somehow bring it under 350 pounds dry with a 12 or 14 inch track, that thing would revolutionize the industry and we would start to see industry growth again. I'll just be spending all my days from here on out praying that Cat actually builds it and doesn't just scrap these plans and throw them in the garbage.

The only potential pitfall I see is where they have the secondary clutch way up high. Didn't ski-doo try that a few years back and it made the sled handle really funny? I would prefer a more standard traditional design even if it made the sled get longer by a few inches.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ski-doos secondary is still like that.
Only way to centralize the mass, is to put the secondary above the tunnel.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
hope they don't do the doo configuration. heat rises and when you're moving slow at high rpm there's nowhere for it to go but into the secondary/belt. trail riding stuff imo.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Oh interesting that the doos are still like that. Well, they've found a way to make it work and still have the sled feel decent, so I suppose it's not a deal breaker - more of just a small preference I guess. I would still be ecstatic if that was the biggest weakness I could find in it.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
I sure hope this is a kids sled that is around 300 lbs. this would be awesome to help bridge the gap for the youth that currently don’t have a sled to ride. I’ve been waiting for this for a long time now. My kid is 9 and he wants more than the scoot offers already. This would be so awesome to keep him hooked on sledding like I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Reading back through this thread, I remembered a member on here who built a completely custom skinny sled with a 670 in it. At first he didn't share much information because he said 1 or more manufacturers were considering buying design elements from him. Eventually he was able to share some details and if I remember right, he set his clutches up like this and centered the engine. I'll see if I can find the thread and try to link it here.

Project skinny sled Link: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393537

Last edited:
Premium Features